Gutless Call to Punt

ChicagoRic

3 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Did he have sub par talent in Chicago when he went 13-3? I believe Brian Erlacher was on that team.

Yeah, he did.   He had no quarterback, for starters.  No running back, no receivers, no recognizable names other than Urlacher. 

Look back at that season.   They won a ton of close games, a few in OT.   

They 5 and 11 the season before and 4 and 12 the year after. 

1 minute ago, Shaw66 said:

Yeah, he did.   He had no quarterback, for starters.  No running back, no receivers, no recognizable names other than Urlacher. 

Look back at that season.   They won a ton of close games, a few in OT.   

They 5 and 11 the season before and 4 and 12 the year after. 

Thanks. I vaguely remember watching the Bears in the playoffs that year.  Too bad he couldn't have done it without us.

8 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I have to admit I'm thoroughly confused on the tie-breakers.   I just started looking at the standings, and what the networks have been showing apparently is wrong.   Right now the Bills apparently are in the #6 spot, so they have the tie-breakers on the Ravens and the Chargers.   Head to head, which they obviously lose to the Chargers, doesn't count in a 3-way tie.   Chargers lose out because their conference win-loss is worse than Bills and Ravens.   That might not hold after three more weeks.   

When I step back and look at all this, I find it all very weird.   We've all watched the Bills this season, and as exciting as the first several weeks were, I don't there are many Bills fans who think the Bills are a good team today.   Maybe they're better than we think - maybe their defense is back to being good (three good games in a row - Chiefs, Pats and Colts), but I'm not feeling it.   And yet here we are about how legitimate a shot they have at the playoffs.   Playoffs?  This team?   In disarray at the most important position, no receivers, mediocre to horrible pass protection.  Playoffs?

Ya I agree with that.

Before the year I thought they were a 5 win team. Somehow they find themselves right in the middle of a playoff race

10 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

Thanks. I vaguely remember watching the Bears in the playoffs that year.  Too bad he couldn't have done it without us.

I think they won a couple of overtime games and several other close games.   And I think he got a lot of coach of the year votes.  

They won about 4 to 6 games a season for about 5 years before that year and they went in the tank immediately after.   

His one good year was a combination of good coaching of below-par talent (that's what he was good at) and a lot of luck.   Bills got those 7-9 seasons out of him for three years, and every year I thought his teams outperformed their talent.   

As I said, he never got a chance to show anyone if he would get away from his ultra-conservatism if he had good talent, because he never coached a team with good talent.