Songs that are Christmas songs...

ExiledInIllinois

...That aren't "really" Christmas songs that can be Christmas songs.:D

Not sure how many are out there, but this one comes right to mind:

Also this one, I think written by Gordon Lightfoot, but like Sarah McLachlan's cover

I guess the whole (some compositions more than others) Charlie Brown's Christmas by Vince Guaraldi Trio also...

Any more are out there? Synonymous w/the Holidays but doesn't have to be Christmas/Holidays.  Winter songs?

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

How is an album titled, "A Charlie Brown Christmas," with a picture of a Christmas tree, not a Christmas album full of Christmas songs?

Some of the songs are really not "Christmas songs"... Some of course are.  Kinda a hybrid jazz, Christmas thing.

Don't judge a book by it's cover. :P

• Like (+1) 1

I don't think of this as a Christmas song, yet every holiday season it is out clogging up the airwaves. The lyrics have it "the snow was falling Christmas Eve", but it could just as easily been "a rainstorm last Wednesday" (I never claimed to be a lyricist) - Same Old Lang Syne.

(and if this isn't what you meant, apologies)

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 12/10/2017 at 10:59 AM, Gugny said:

How is an album titled, "A Charlie Brown Christmas," with a picture of a Christmas tree, not a Christmas album full of Christmas songs?

Linus and Lucy? One of my (many) favorite Xmas songs. If I heard it in July I'd think great song but it isn't Christmas time why are you playing this?

Sleigh Ride? Another all time great. But if I hear it in January or February it better be snowing, but it would still feel out of place!

Both of those songs are Xmas by association which I think OP was getting at.

It's easy for me, if it's a song that you only hear around Xmas, then by God it's a Xmas song. 

6 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Linus and Lucy? One of my (many) favorite Xmas songs. If I heard it in July I'd think great song but it isn't Christmas time why are you playing this?

Sleigh Ride? Another all time great. But if I hear it in January or February it better be snowing, but it would still feel out of place!

Both of those songs are Xmas by association which I think OP was getting at.

It's easy for me, if it's a song that you only hear around Xmas, then by God it's a Xmas song. 

This is a confusing topic... But who better than me... :D

Without the Peanuts movie (if you want to call it a movie)... Would you think Christmas (Linus & Lucy)?

The movie makes it Christmas.

2 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

This is a confusing topic... But who better than me... :D

Without the Peanuts movie (if you want to call it a movie)... Would you think Christmas (Linus & Lucy)?

The movie makes it Christmas.

Two questions:

Without the Peanuts Christmas special would you even know this song?

When you hear this song, do you think of Christmas?

I don't find this confusing in any way, shape or form. 

Just now, SinceThe70s said:

Two questions:

Without the Peanuts Christmas special would you even know this song?

When you hear this song, do you think of Christmas?

I don't find this confusing in any way, shape or form. 

Good questions and thanks for calling it a Christmas Special, the name was escaping me.

No.  VG scored it for the Special.  I think or did he?

2. No. I don't think of Christmas.  I think of the Special.  I know that sounds strange.  I think of the Peanuts crew dancing around tree to a mod 60s jazz riff... Pay special attention to hip Shermy.

On 12/10/2017 at 10:02 AM, ExiledInIllinois said:

Some of the songs are really not "Christmas songs"... Some of course are.  Kinda a hybrid jazz, Christmas thing.

Don't judge a book by it's cover. :P

That’s my favorite Christmas album.  

• Thank you (+1) 1