How would the Bills have done with Josh McCown this season?

The 9 Isles

1 minute ago, Air it out Fitzy said:

Alas, I would love to read it as I hold Cover1 in high regard,  but apparently I must be some sort of premium subscriber for access.  Would you care to summarize?

I'm quite sure it's correct - it's a fault that was noted in him last year and the year before, yet I felt the play design compensated.  Is Erik observing that 1-2 WR are open and yet he holds on?

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

True but incomplete.  With Taylor, you do give up some things that other average QB can do.  You also gain some things other QB can't do.   To see this, one need only look as far as last year.  A better analogy to your "half the bullets" might be to consider the American Revolution.  With Taylor, you need to give up the idea of fighting a battle by having your troops form a square and fire muskets on command.  But you gain the ability to fire rifles accurately from behind trees.  Is this a problem?  Well, yes, if you insist on fighting a battle by forming a square.  No, if you figure out ways to attack by firing rifles behind trees.

So that is Thing 1 that bothers me about our current coaching staff:  Dennison is not showing the flexibility and creativity to utilize the players he has to best advantage.

I was not up in arms when Peterman was asked to start the Chargers game.  I figured the coaches saw him every day, if they thought he was ready, he was ready. 

Not even close.  It is significant that other rookies haven't thrown 5 INTs, not because they couldn't, but because they typically "get the flick" after, say, 3, "Oh, I Can't Do That".  Except Our Boy Nate, who kept throwing and throwing and throwing like the Energizer Bunny 'til they got the hook.  Other QB have said the sense of pressure in the pocket (when to hold it, when to fold it) is one of those things that can't really be taught.

So that is Thing 2 that bothers me about our current coaching staff: We need to rely on their player evaluation skills to build the team, but thinking Peterman was ready when actually he played like that plonks a giant burning Question Mark on their talent evaluation lawn.

Thank you for the well thought out response. But respectfully I disagree with it. The problem with a qb that has a limited repertoire of plays to draw from is that other teams adjust to what you are good at without the need to focus on what you are not good at. When the passing plays you can proficiently execute are so limited because you can't adeptly go through progressions, make anticipation throws or have good downfield accuracy then the defense has a tremendous advantage. What's more evident this year compared to last year is that the defenses are making it a priority to contain him in the pocket and force him to play within that congestion area that he is not comfortable with. Which demonstrates my point that teams are making adjustments to his unique style of play. 

What's evident is that Taylor who is a seven year veteran has not shown an ability to advance/grow his game. He is what he is. The argument that Taylor is better than Peterman or vice versa means little to me. Neither are franchise qbs, and neither will ever be. That's why I so ardently argue for us to do what needs to be done to come out of the next draft with a qb who has the potential to be a franchise qb.  

On 12/9/2017 at 9:20 AM, Doc said:

The Jets' receivers are also having career years and at least in the case of Kearse and Seferian-Jenkins, previously had better QB's throwing to them than McCown.  I suppose it's the OC.

Mmm, could make an argument Kearse had a better year in Seattle in 2015.  He's getting more targets/game this year, so his ypg are up.  Had a better catch % then.  Bottom line, he's not "on fire" doing eons better than he'd done before.  Better QB throwing to him, I would say Wilson >>> McCown.

Sefarian-Jenkins, yeah, career year, but in a fairly short career and with better receivers ahead of him in Tampa and last year with Jets.  Winston >> McCown?  Airs it out a lot more, for a lot more yards, certainly.

I guess not entirely sure what the point is - are you arguing we wouldn't have predicted Kearse, Kerley, and Sefarian-Jenkins to be better than Jones, Matthews, Holmes, Clay?

I can see that point statistically.  Certainly Clay has played well when he's played, better than Sefarian-Jenkins, and I had high hopes for Jones that have not come to fruition.

11 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Thank you for the well thought out response. But respectfully I disagree with it. The problem with a qb that has a limited repertoire of plays to draw from is that other teams adjust to what you are good at without the need to focus on what you are not good at. When the passing plays you can proficiently execute are so limited because you can't adeptly go through progressions, make anticipation throws or have good downfield accuracy then the defense has a tremendous advantage. What's more evident this year compared to last year is that the defenses are making it a priority to contain him in the pocket and force him to play within that congestion area that he is not comfortable with. Which demonstrates my point that teams are making adjustments to his unique style of play. 

What's evident is that Taylor who is a seven year veteran has not shown an ability to advance/grow his game. He is what he is. The argument that Taylor is better than Peterman or vice versa means little to me. Neither are franchise qbs, and neither will ever be. That's why I so ardently argue for us to do what needs to be done to come out of the next draft with a qb who has the potential to be a franchise qb.  

You're welcome.

My counter-point is that this year, the Bills have not "done the experiment" of focus on that repetoire of plays Taylor showed he was good at last year.  Don't you think last year teams tried to contain Taylor, and stop the run?  They were unsuccessful more than not, hence top-10 scoring offense.  Why's that?

On the point of "come out of the next draft with a QB", we agree entirely.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

I dunno dog...shaky on the throws..timing is off...I'm just not feeling it...

You gotta come a little harder dog...take too many sacks...not good late in games...I'm just not buying it dog...

I dunno dog.

22 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

6 games, 0-6, how did that work out for them?

Hoyer is one of those "fool's gold" QB imo.  He had that mystique of "backed up Brady, must be good" from NE. 

Texans shot themselves in the foot kicking Fitzpatrick to the curb to replace him with Hoyer, because you know, poor guy, he was buried on the Browns, only to have that sad awakening. 

SF shot themselves in the foot thinking "Hey, he looked OK in Chicago with Fox , he can be our bridge guy" only to find out "Bridge over Troubled Waters" is what he was.

Doesnt anyone remember the last time we played Cleveland and he was terrible then got replaced by Manziel late?

Edited by matter2003

32 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Alas, I would love to read it as I hold Cover1 in high regard,  but apparently I must be some sort of premium subscriber for access.  Would you care to summarize?

I'm quite sure it's correct - it's a fault that was noted in him last year and the year before, yet I felt the play design compensated.  Is Erik observing that 1-2 WR are open and yet he holds on?

Just more of the hold the ball too long stuff that’s plagued his whole career.  

On 12/6/2017 at 11:51 AM, billsfan1959 said:

Or the Panthers...

Or the Jets (2nd game)...

Or the Saints....

Or New England...

B-)

100% spot on observation! Taylor cost us the Panthers game, the Jets game, the Pats game last week was very winnable, but, they wouldn't have beat Orchard Park High School with TT's 60 yards passing. The Saints game? Who knows. He was so rotten that it's hard to tell what may have played out with even marginally good QB play.