Jermaine Wiggins - TE

Guest BackInDaDay
If we get DeMulling & Shelton, with Holcomb in the fold and TD likely to sign a vet RB to "serve as mentor to McGahee" (in the words of Lenny P), I think TE is where we are headed in the draft.  TE or CB are the most likely spots for us to use our # 2.

265769[/snapback]

Don't give up on Euhus so quick. I really liked what I saw of him in '04 - good quickness, athletic, and pretty good hands. I think the TD ball he caught, before rolling up on Campbell, was thrown to Campbell. DC getting hurt sucked, but the kid made an agressive, athletic play. I don't see drafting another TE unless Euhus is done. He'll only get stronger and smarter.

He should start. Bring in someone to compete with DC. Nuefeld has to go, even if he doesn't sign elsewhere. I don't know how they'ld like to use Peters. At this point, they probably rather have him work out as an OT. But he could find his way into the TE depth chart if he shows too many skills for an offensive minded head coach to ignore.

Campbell is a capable TE, but his salary is 850K in '05, I think we could sign a playmaking TE for less than that (with incentives) and let them compete. We really need the '05 O to have a solid 3rd option for JP. Wiggins is a better option.

Well, nice to hear from the sensitivity commission. Now my day is complete.

265758[/snapback]

This coming from the guy that wants Mississippi lynchings back. Yeah, you're the guy I listen to when it comes to issues of race.

Nuefeld has to go, even if he doesn't sign elsewhere

Why? Why must Neufeld go? I, for the life of me, do not understand you people. Nor do I think there's a lot of thought going into saying something like this. If Neufeld goes, we have to find someone to replace him on special teams, to play TE, to play fullback, and to act as a back up snapper if necessary. He's the kind of guy you want on a team. I can understand if he played bad last season, but he did really well. So why then does he have to go?

Why?  Why must Neufeld go?  I, for the life of me, do not understand you people.  Nor do I think there's a lot of thought going into saying something like this.  If Neufeld goes, we have to find someone to replace him on special teams, to play TE, to play fullback, and to act as a back up snapper if necessary.  He's the kind of guy you want on a team.  I can understand if he played bad last season, but he did really well.  So why then does he have to go?

265978[/snapback]

because "they" say so

(i agree with you)

Guest BackInDaDay
Why?  Why must Neufeld go?  I, for the life of me, do not understand you people.  Nor do I think there's a lot of thought going into saying something like this.  If Neufeld goes, we have to find someone to replace him on special teams, to play TE, to play fullback, and to act as a back up snapper if necessary.  He's the kind of guy you want on a team.  I can understand if he played bad last season, but he did really well.  So why then does he have to go?

265978[/snapback]

Actually, it's a moot point. I believe he was free to go, and he went.

I did think about it before I wrote it. Neufeld was here for 4 or 5 years, and never broke the starting lineup. In that time we had to sign a FA, Campbell, and draft a kid, Euhus.

I agree about the STs. You always have to be careful not to spread yourself too thin, but Nuefeld was not an ST standout, either. I wish him luck, but like Drew, let him find it with someone else. We need more than bodies, we need players that are constantly pushing to be the starter. Nuefeld had his chances to make his mark, but didn't impress 'them'. :huh:

Actually, it's a moot point. I believe he was free to go, and he went.

I did think about it before I wrote it. Neufeld was here for 4 or 5 years, and never broke the starting lineup. In that time we had to sign a FA, Campbell, and draft a kid, Euhus.

I agree about the STs. You always have to be careful not to spread yourself too thin, but Nuefeld was not an ST standout, either. I wish him luck, but like Drew, let him find it with someone else. We need more than bodies, we need players that are constantly pushing to be the starter. Nuefeld had his chances to make his mark, but didn't impress 'them'. 

Okay, you have no idea what you're talking about. Neufeld is a free agent - he didn't just "go" as you say. My guess is the team may still be considering re-signing him. I would not be surprised at all if they did over the next couple of weeks.

Secondly, Neufeld has only been here two years - not sure where you got the 4 or 5 years number. And in that two years, he's done well as a back up TE and contributed greatly on special teams. And when Campbell and Euhus went down this year, he stepped up. Not to mention when Gash was hurt last season, he showed that he has some fullback capabilities as well.

Whom, to you, was a stand out on special teams? Moorman? McGee? Of course those guys get the credit. Even Coach April has talked about all the unsung heroes on special teams. One game this season Neufeld had three tackles on special teams - that's stand out in my book for special teams play.

How do you read (anti-black) racism into this?  This was my way of saying that Euhus/Campbell etc. are a bunch of schlubs.

265185[/snapback]

is there a MORON tag we can apply to this post?

This coming from the guy that wants Mississippi lynchings back.  Yeah, you're the guy I listen to when it comes to issues of race.

265885[/snapback]

Again, did I explicitly say that? No, I didn't. Your busy little mind READ THAT INTO what I said. You, sir, are looking for a crusade.

Okay, you have no idea what you're talking about.  Neufeld is a free agent - he didn't just "go" as you say.  My guess is the team may still be considering re-signing him.  I would not be surprised at all if they did over the next couple of weeks.

Secondly, Neufeld has only been here two years - not sure where you got the 4 or 5 years number.  And in that two years, he's done well as a back up TE and contributed greatly on special teams.  And when Campbell and Euhus went down this year, he stepped up.  Not to mention when Gash was hurt last season, he showed that he has some fullback capabilities as well.

Whom, to you, was a stand out on special teams?  Moorman?  McGee?  Of course those guys get the credit.  Even Coach April has talked about all the unsung heroes on special teams.  One game this season Neufeld had three tackles on special teams - that's stand out in my book for special teams play.

266315[/snapback]

very well said

Say we do swing the trade for shelton than sign demulling It would be a good idea to go te in the draft. However I wouldn't do that in the 2nd rd I'd go

2nd rd- Kevin Burnett olb tenn- can take over for jeff posey next year

3rd rd- Mike Patterson dt usc - not sure on his starting capabilities, but gives us good deph at the dt position especially consdering adams is the wrong side of 30.

4th rd- alex holmes te usc- great blocker kind of a similar te to jason dunn of the chiefs.

5-7 fill it with safety, oline whatever

Okay, you have no idea what you're talking about.  Neufeld is a free agent - he didn't just "go" as you say.  My guess is the team may still be considering re-signing him.  I would not be surprised at all if they did over the next couple of weeks.

Secondly, Neufeld has only been here two years - not sure where you got the 4 or 5 years number.  And in that two years, he's done well as a back up TE and contributed greatly on special teams.  And when Campbell and Euhus went down this year, he stepped up.  Not to mention when Gash was hurt last season, he showed that he has some fullback capabilities as well.

Whom, to you, was a stand out on special teams?  Moorman?  McGee?  Of course those guys get the credit.  Even Coach April has talked about all the unsung heroes on special teams.  One game this season Neufeld had three tackles on special teams - that's stand out in my book for special teams play.

266315[/snapback]

if we bring in another TE, there is no room for neufeld, unless you want to put campbell or euhus on the the PUP or IR list........i don't see why neufeld would find that kind of situation appealing.........we aern't going to carry 4 TE's in the second half of the season........

if we bring in another TE, there is no room for neufeld, unless you want to put campbell or euhus on the the PUP or IR list........i don't see why neufeld would find that kind of situation appealing.........we aern't going to carry 4 TE's in the second half of the season........

Well, it depends. If you bring in a free agent TE like Wiggins, then my guess is that Campbell would be the odd man out. Here's why - no way our TE depth would look like this - Wiggins, Campbell, Euhus (or mix and match the depth any way you want). That's too much money at the position for one of those guys to be warming the bench. Know what I mean?

Now, if the Bills don't bring in a FA and draft a TE on day two, then Neufeld may very well be the odd man out. That's if Campbell and Euhus both stay healthy. And because of their injuries this year, it's very possible the Bills will keep 4 TEs. Neufeld can always fill in a roster spot as the back up FB. With the departure of Joe Burns, that's a hole that needs to be filled.

Well, it depends.  If you bring in a free agent TE like Wiggins, then my guess is that Campbell would be the odd man out.  Here's why - no way our TE depth would look like this - Wiggins, Campbell, Euhus (or mix and match the depth any way you want).  That's too much money at the position for one of those guys to be warming the bench.  Know what I mean?

Now, if the Bills don't bring in a FA and draft a TE on day two, then Neufeld may very well be the odd man out.  That's if Campbell and Euhus both stay healthy.  And because of their injuries this year, it's very possible the Bills will keep 4 TEs.  Neufeld can always fill in a roster spot as the back up FB.  With the departure of Joe Burns, that's a hole that needs to be filled.

266417[/snapback]

i see your point, but i just don't see campbell getting cut.........i think he's a TD favorite and his roster spot is secure........in reality, i don't think his contract is that expensive.......and it's not like any of our TE's "warm the bench"......all 3 play, especially the top 2 because we run out of so many double TE sets.........and as we found out last year, it's always a great advantage to have a reliable 3rd because if either of your top 2 go down you still want to be able to run double TE sets........

as for using the "joe burns" roster spot on a 4th TE/backup FB, you have to remember burns doubled as 4th string RB as well.........so if you keep a 4th TE instead you are essentially going with only 3 RB's, and only 2 can dress on gameday..........and i just can't see that happening either........RB is too important to be so thin at the position.......at least compared to TE's and FB's........

as for using the "joe burns" roster spot on a 4th TE/backup FB, you have to remember burns doubled as 4th string RB as well.........so if you keep a 4th TE instead you are essentially going with only 3 RB's, and only 2 can dress on gameday..........and i just can't see that happening either........RB is too important to be so thin at the position.......at least compared to TE's and FB's........

I see your point, but I distinctly remember Neufeld rushing for 9 yards resulting in a third down conversion against the Giants last year. So in the event that all of your RBs go down, at least you'd have some versatility with him. And I think Neufeld even lined up as the 4th wideout this year when Josh Reed got hurt. I don't think Burns would have been able to do that.

i see your point, but i just don't see campbell getting cut.........i think he's a TD favorite and his roster spot is secure........in reality, i don't think his contract is that expensive.......and it's not like any of our TE's "warm the bench"......all 3 play, especially the top 2 because we run out of so many double TE sets.........and as we found out last year, it's always a great advantage to have a reliable 3rd because if either of your top 2 go down you still want to be able to run double TE sets........

You have to trust me on this one - no way we'd keep Wiggins, Campbell and Euhus on the roster. That means either Euhus or Campbell would be subjected to playing nothing but special teams with a rare TE appearance when a 3 TE set is used. I don't think that's what the big wigs have in mind for the TEs. It seems like it would be the way to go - when and if your top two go down, you'd have someone like Euhus waiting in the wings. But Euhus is here to play, not to sit on the bench. Which is why I think that if they bring in a big time FA TE (which I doubt because we don't have the funds), Campbell could very well be the odd man out.

Guest BackInDaDay

266315[/snapback]

UHSLA, just got home and read your response.

"Free to go" was a reference to his FA status. As you say, he may be resigned, but "and he went" refers to the Bills' current lack of interest in him.

I stand corrected about his tenure here. I didn't realise he's been in the league for 6 years. Maybe you already know this. Seems he got into 6 games with the '99 Cowboys and 2 with the '00 Jags. No receiving or rushing yards in any of those games. Didn't seem to get any playing time with Jacksonville the next 2 years. He may have had a serious injury, I don't know.

The Bills must have seen something there though.

In his two seasons with Buffalo, he has 9 receptions for 102 yards.

6 for 61 in '04 and 3 for 41 in '03.

He did run the ball once, in '03, for 14 yds.

So much for his offensive output.

He has 3 tackles to his credit in '03, and 5 in '04.

I'm guessing they came on the coverage teams.

When a ST player makes a bunch of tackles during the season, you can point to the '3 tackle' game as evidence of his desire.

When a ST player makes 5 tackles during the season, you can point to the '3 tackle' game as evidence of a successful coverage scheme that steered the return his way that day. I'll give that player credit for making the plays when he had to.

I've got no axe to grind with Nuefeld, and I'm sorry I had to go to the stats on this one, but I just don't recall his play in games. At least, not as well as you seem to.

At 6-4 / 250 he's got the size to play a variety of positions, but he has never 'made his mark' at any. It's understood that a football team is a good example of 'the whole being greater than the sum of it's parts', where role players need only contribute to the coach's expectations for the team to succeed. But I think championship teams are made up of players who exceed expectations. I just don't see Nuefeld exceeding anyone's expectations and I'd rather find another player who might.