USA Today: Contenders and Pretenders

5 hours ago, BmarvB said:

They're tough at home, but struggle on the road. Even if they do make the playoffs, if they can't win on the road, it's going to be an early exit for them

I'm ok with that.  Its the first year of a new regime.  Just make the damn thing and anything can happen.  Even if its an early exit so be it.  As long as the coach can do a good job adding pieces and improve upon it.  

4 hours ago, SaviorPeterman said:

Like another poster pointed out, just because somebodies thoughts don't jive with yours doesn't mean they are a 'troll'. But sadly people love to throw this team out loosely nowadays because it's an easy way to distract from the facts when they simply are wrong can't dispute factual statements.

And speaking of facts, I tend to use these when making my arguments including and not limited to:

-The Bills have not made the playoffs in 17 years

-The Patriots have dominated the AFCE and NFL since 2001

-The Bills are 3-7 in their last 10 division games

-The Dolphins who everybody argues is an apparent non factor this year swept the Bills last year and finished 9-2 after a 1-4 start to the season.

I could go on and on but the point is I'm bringing legit football discussion to the table and never have resorted to petty personal attacks on fellow community members like so many have against me.

Those may be facts but they are useless facts.  None of that matters to this year.  None of it.  If facts like that mattered then Atlanta would be killing it this year instead of looking like ****.

11 hours ago, simpleman said:
  •  

Hey, having to constantly hear all the posters here "preaching" about " the process" is the BB equivalent of having Jehovah's Witnesses  knocking on my door 10 times a day, 7 days a week. Have you ever spent the day around a person who says "you know" after every sentence, then you would realize exactly how irritating it is.  It is not about the game, it is about the constant preaching here ruining my "source of entertainment".

There are studies showing that believing in "the process" works. It's useful in children's education, business, sports psychology and a ton more things. This isn't something McDermott made up. 

Carol Dweck is maybe the big name in this movement. I think everyone should

watch this, its great stuff:

7 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

I'm ok with that.  Its the first year of a new regime.  Just make the damn thing and anything can happen.  Even if its an early exit so be it.  As long as the coach can do a good job adding pieces and improve upon it.  

Those may be facts but they are useless facts.  None of that matters to this year.  None of it.  If facts like that mattered then Atlanta would be killing it this year instead of looking like ****.

Conversation on this site is not restricted to what is happening this year. 

And the past absolutely does influence the present, so it's extremely reasonable to discuss the past when trying to figure out what will happen in the near future. Bot of those posts certainly do matter this year. You might disagree with what they think - reasonably - but their posts were relevant.

Also, if you think the Bills are pretenders, you're likely to want to think about what will happen down the road.

Edited by Thurman#1

9 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Pretty simple. Lose Sunday, we’re a pretender absolutely same old fast starting, fold in the end Bills.  Win Sunday, and I’m scouting out playoff opponents and hotels.

Lose Sunday and Rex year 1 is the same as McD year 1.

5-4

Edited by xRUSHx

5 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Conversation on this site is not restricted to what is happening this year. 

And the past absolutely does influence the present, so it's extremely reasonable to discuss the past when trying to figure out what will happen in the near future. Bot of those posts certainly do matter this year. You might disagree with what they think - reasonably - but their posts were relevant.

Also, if you think the Bills are pretenders, you're likely to want to think about what will happen down the road.

Where did I say conversation on this site is restricted to what is happening this year?  Oh that's right, I didn't.

No, 17 years of no playoffs do not matter to this year.  Different owners, different front office, different coaches, different players.  

Pats dominating the league for 20 million years doesn't mean anything to this year.  They can turn off like a flip of the switch just like Atlanta dominated last year and they don't this year.  Does it look like they will turn off this year? No, but they certainly don't look very dominant.

Being 3-7 in the last 10 division games means nothing to this year.  This year they are 1-1.

The Dolphins sweeping the Bills last year means nothing to this year.  The Dolphins going 9-2 over a stretch last year means nothing to this year.

Yes those are all my opinions.  Your opinion that they do is not worth anymore than mine that they don't.

Where did I say anything about the Bills being pretenders?  I don't know what they are yet.

Edited by Scott7975

20 hours ago, simpleman said:

I am never going to be able to understand the individuals here who believe in  "the process" and have this blind optimism for the future despite history and the cold hard facts. They approach Fandom like most approach religion. I don't believe in "the process" based on pure hope and faith anymore than I could accept the statements from my ministers to my every serious question about religion in my teenage years with "you just have to have faith"  How has having "faith" worked out for  us the past 17 years and counting?

The root of the word 'fan' is 'fanatic' -- someone who believes wholly and extremely in something -- and it aptly describes the attitude of many to their favorite teams, even when that team, like the Bills, hasn't proven worthy of having faith in -- or even caring about -- for years.   I think whether a fan has "faith", ie optimism, or views his/her team more critically depends upon his/her personality.  Some people just want -- probably need -- to believe uncritically in something -- and they don't like being reminded of harsh realities.

20 hours ago, JM2009 said:

The Bills are 29-27 since the Pegulas purchased the team. That is not terrible and it is the only time frame that matters.

Afraid not.  The past always influences the present and the future to some extent.  The further away from a specific event in the past a person or team gets, the less the influence of history but good or bad decisions or acts live on.  The Bills have made precious few good decisions in this century, and the Pegulas aren't exempt from them, even in their short time span.  The Bills are still living with the results of bad decisions made years ago under Ralph Wilson since they missed out on Aaron Rodgers because they traded that 2005 first to get JP Losman in 2004; traded away Jason Peters and Marshawn Lynch; drafted the WR Graham instead of Russell Wilson in 2012; drafted EJ Manuel in 2013 rather than Derek Carr in 2014, etc.  However, under the Pegulas, the Bills have also made serious gaffes, most notably swapping out Doug Marrone and his staff for Rex Ryan and his entourage.  That McDermott is a better HC than Ryan doesn't necessarily mean he's a good HC.  Chan Gailey was a better HC than Dick Jauron.  Moreover, the Bills have gotten off to fast early starts in the past.  

So far, there's nothing that indicates that the Bills under the Pegulas are significantly better than the Bills under Wilson.

5 hours ago, xRUSHx said:

Lose Sunday and Rex year 1 is the same as McD year 1.

5-4

McDermott is significantly better than Ryan.  He's done more than Ryan with less talent.  That doesn't mean he's good enough.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SoTier said:

The root of the word 'fan' is 'fanatic' -- someone who believes wholly and extremely in something -- and it aptly describes the attitude of many to their favorite teams, even when that team, like the Bills, hasn't proven worthy of having faith in -- or even caring about -- for years.   I think whether a fan has "faith", ie optimism, or views his/her team more critically depends upon his/her personality.  Some people just want -- probably need -- to believe uncritically in something -- and they don't like being reminded of harsh realities.

Afraid not.  The past always influences the present and the future to some extent.  The further away from a specific event in the past a person or team gets, the less the influence of history but good or bad decisions or acts live on.  The Bills have made precious few good decisions in this century, and the Pegulas aren't exempt from them, even in their short time span.  The Bills are still living with the results of bad decisions made years ago under Ralph Wilson since they missed out on Aaron Rodgers because they traded that 2005 first to get JP Losman in 2004; traded away Jason Peters and Marshawn Lynch; drafted the WR Graham instead of Russell Wilson in 2012; drafted EJ Manuel in 2013 rather than Derek Carr in 2014, etc.  However, under the Pegulas, the Bills have also made serious gaffes, most notably swapping out Doug Marrone and his staff for Rex Ryan and his entourage.  That McDermott is a better HC than Ryan doesn't necessarily mean he's a good HC.  Chan Gailey was a better HC than Dick Jauron.  Moreover, the Bills have gotten off to fast early starts in the past.  

So far, there's nothing that indicates that the Bills under the Pegulas are significantly better than the Bills under Wilson.

McDermott is significantly better than Ryan.  He's done more than Ryan with less talent.  That doesn't mean he's good enough.

We have owners willing to do what ever it takes to produce a winner. We have real football people in place. And the Bills being over .500 under their ownership does matter. Much better than what we had with RW. And Ryan was a .500 HC. If McDermott is much better than Ryan, then he is good enough.

Edited by JM2009

11 minutes ago, JM2009 said:

We have owners willing to do what ever it takes to produce a winner. We have real football people in place. And the Bills being over .500 under their ownership does matter. Much better than what we had with RW.

...of course the Pegulas made mistakes as neophyte owners AS EXPECTED....look at the STILL ongoing mistakes of Jones & Snyder who have been at it for 20 years and continue to be meddlesome clowns.....I'd say that Pegula spared NO expense in assembling a FO & Administration that on paper could rival the Polian era......Beane's staff is loaded with former VP's of Personnel and Pro Player Personnel Directors who had better show their wares in 2018 draft....also made the right choice with McD whose culture change moves are LONG overdue....it may take time before hitting on all 8 cylinders, but the direction is upward IMO..........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

Just now, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...of course the Pegulas made mistakes as neophyte owners AS EXPECTED....look at the STILL ongoing mistakes of Jones & Snyder who have been at it for 20 years and continue to be meddlesome clowns.....I'd say that Pegula spared NO expense in assembling a FO & Administration that on paper could rival the Polian era......Beane's staff is loaded with former VP's of Personnel and Pro Player Personnel Directors who had better show their wares in 2018 draft....also made the right choice with McD whose culture change moves are LONG overdue....it may take time before hitting on all 8 cylinders, but the direction is upward IMO..........

Is sure is moving upwards. No question about it.

3 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

Where did I say conversation on this site is restricted to what is happening this year?  Oh that's right, I didn't.

No, 17 years of no playoffs do not matter to this year.  Different owners, different front office, different coaches, different players.  

Pats dominating the league for 20 million years doesn't mean anything to this year.  They can turn off like a flip of the switch just like Atlanta dominated last year and they don't this year.  Does it look like they will turn off this year? No, but they certainly don't look very dominant.

Being 3-7 in the last 10 division games means nothing to this year.  This year they are 1-1.

The Dolphins sweeping the Bills last year means nothing to this year.  The Dolphins going 9-2 over a stretch last year means nothing to this year.

Yes those are all my opinions.  Your opinion that they do is not worth anymore than mine that they don't.

Where did I say anything about the Bills being pretenders?  I don't know what they are yet.

The Buffalo Bills have the longest playoffless loser streak in all of sports. The Buffalo Bills so regardless who is the owner or who is the coach this team is tagged with that wonderful garbage until it is changed the streak is alive there is no way to pretend it doesn't exist.

IMO if they did a name change it could have shown a stop in the process of one owner to another but when everything remains the same, everything remains the same.

Edited by xRUSHx

WILD CARD

BUF-Bills-Header.png

Projected record (9-7)

Strength: Buffalo’s defense has been a huge surprise this season and the biggest upgrade on a year ago has been a secondary that is thriving in their new defensive scheme. Rookie CB Tre’Davious White has been excellent, allowing just 50 percent of the passes thrown his way to be caught, but the safety tandem of Jordan Poyer and Micah Hyde have both been impressive, each appearing on PFF’s team of the week at points in the season.

Weakness: The Bills have a major need at wide receiver, which is why they added Kelvin Benjamin in a trade with Carolina, but Benjamin represents an odd pairing with QB Tyrod Taylor. Benjamin’s strength is winning contested catches with little separation, while Tyrod Taylor is very reluctant to put the ball in harm’s way and doesn’t throw many risky passes. That tension could render that move a disappointment.

32 minutes ago, xRUSHx said:

The Buffalo Bills have the longest playoffless loser streak in all of sports. The Buffalo Bills so regardless who is the owner or who is the coach this team is tagged with that wonderful garbage until it is changed the streak is alive there is no way to pretend it doesn't exist.

IMO if they did a name change it could have shown a stop in the process of one owner to another but when everything remains the same, everything remains the same.

I never said it didn't exist.  I said it has no effect on this season.

21 hours ago, simpleman said:
  •  

Hey, having to constantly hear all the posters here "preaching" about " the process" is the BB equivalent of having Jehovah's Witnesses  knocking on my door 10 times a day, 7 days a week. Have you ever spent the day around a person who says "you know" after every sentence, then you would realize exactly how irritating it is.  It is not about the game, it is about the constant preaching here ruining my "source of entertainment".

One thing that is important to note is that posters here are starting to believe in this thing called "The Process" BECAUSE of the EVIDENCE they have seen with there own eyes (on the field).

As to your "seventeen years of faith working out for us", why on earth would someone who feels that way not have given up years ago.

Like it or not, all of us "survivors" still have some HOPE even if it is just the size of a mustard seed.

10 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

I never said it didn't exist.  I said it has no effect on this season.

6 minutes ago, cd1 said:

One thing that is important to note is that posters here are starting to believe in this thing called "The Process" BECAUSE of the EVIDENCE they have seen with there own eyes (on the field).

As to your "seventeen years of faith working out for us", why on earth would someone who feels that way not have given up years ago.

Like it or not, all of us "survivors" still have some HOPE even if it is just the size of a mustard seed.

Effect? 

A remember a quote that Levy used  that said systems don't win players do.

Edited by xRUSHx

2 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Not sure how that shows the last 17 years have an effect on this season.

I still dont understand effect when it never effected anything other then people talking pointing fingers that hey that is the Buffalo Bills, owners of the longest playoffless streak in all of sports. Effect is the dirt being thrown at fans that looks to extend at least another season if this team fails again this season.

Effect? IMO  No effect just the label, like the consecutive SB loser label that isn't on this new owner or coach but is still history of the Buffalo Bills.

13 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

McD year one >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Rex year one and it ain't close.

We all hope that is true

Both year 1

Nov 12, 2015

Nov 12, 2017

Same QB

5-4 could be dead on, all depends on a win or loss. 

Edited by xRUSHx

20 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Not sure how that shows the last 17 years have an effect on this season.

It doesn't.

2 minutes ago, xRUSHx said:

Both year 1

Nov 12, 2015

Nov 12, 2017

Same QB

5-4 could be dead on, all depends on a win or loss. Will McD with Tyrod be better then Rex with Tyrod at years end? IMO sadly all I see is the playoffless streak still alive.

The crusade never dies.