Tom Donahoe and firt round picks

Counting this year, Tom Donahoe will have had five years of #1 picks, counting his trading. Here are the players he has acquired because of his machinations:

Nate Clements

Travis Henry

Brandon Spoon

Mike Williams

Drew Bledsoe

Willis McGahee

Lee Evans

JP Losman

Five years. Eight players. One washout. Only one chance in the top ten. All starters at one time. Two bonafide stars in Nate and Willis. Three pro bowlers with Willis likely a fourth. A big OL coming into his own. Three young potential stars in the skill positions: Willis, Evans, Losman with a ton of time left on their contracts.

It ain't a bad record.

Note: Obviously he got the extra choice by his clever maneuver of transitioning Peerless, which not only wasn't really expected but handled correctly and we would have lost him for nothing.

Counting this year, Tom Donahoe will have had five years of #1 picks, counting his trading. Here are the players he has acquired because of his machinations:

Nate Clements

Travis Henry

Brandon Spoon

Mike Williams

Drew Bledsoe

Willis McGahee

Lee Evans

JP Losman

Five years. Eight players. One washout. Only one chance in the top ten. All starters at one time. Two bonafide stars in Nate and Willis. Three pro bowlers with Willis likely a fourth. A big OL coming into his own. Three young potential stars in the skill positions: Willis, Evans, Losman with a ton of time left on their contracts.

It ain't a bad record.

Note: Obviously he got the extra choice by his clever maneuver of transitioning Peerless, which not only wasn't really expected but handled correctly and we would have lost him for nothing.

264251[/snapback]

People always bash TD and they really don't give him the respect that he deserves. Just look at a team like the Browns and their recent history with drafting in the first round. Gerard Warren, Tim Couch, William Green, Kellen Winslow is still a huge ?.

TD has built a stellar foundation for this franchise. The only thing he is going to have trouble with is trying to keep them all together for their entire career's. The fans of Buffalo would love to see these guys performing for many years to come.

Fans are upset that the team hasn't made the playoffs in his tenure. It really isn't his fault. The players just haven't been producing.

Little confused...

Who is the washout?  Spoon? 

What about winfield?

264255[/snapback]

winfield was before donahoe. 1999 draft. winfield is a good player, but he was out for a contract that we couldn't afford. Case closed. the vikes overpaid.

My bad. I thought it was winfield that we traded down to get and used our 2nd on henry.

I dont think the vikes overpaid for winfield. I thought so last year at this time, but seeing him play for the vikes this year, i think they got a good deal. He definatly stepped up his play some last season over what we saw in buffalo.

And spoon was a 4th round pick...so i wouldnt say he was really a washout. 4th round is pretty risky....but man I dont know why he never panned out. He was pretty good for us back in 01. (65 tackles 2 int)

People always bash TD and they really don't give him the respect that he deserves.  Just look at a team like the Browns and their recent history with drafting in the first round.  Gerard Warren, Tim Couch, William Green, Kellen Winslow is still a huge ?. 

TD has built a stellar foundation for this franchise.  The only thing he is going to have trouble with is trying to keep them all together for their entire career's.  The fans of Buffalo would love to see these guys performing for many years to come.

Fans are upset that the team hasn't made the playoffs in his tenure.  It really isn't his fault.  The players just haven't been producing.

264261[/snapback]

I think so many people fail to understand how that horrid 2000 draft really impacted the Bills. As if look at the first three guys (Flowers, Tillman and Moore) we took that year none of them are contributing on this team right now. Just imagine if just one of them lived up to expectations we'd have either 1)An DE opposite Aaron Schobel that many feel we lack or 2)A starting FS that allow us to keep Vincent at CB and McGee at nickel back or 3)A 3rd down pass rushing LB.

There are a bunch of what IFs that we could play including had Flowers worked out we probably would have never taken Ryan Denney which might have allowed us to draft other players like Melvin Fowler or Josh McCown or Randy McMichael etc.

This is why they say it usually takes three or four years to fully understand if had a good or bad draft.

I think so many people fail to understand how that horrid 2000 draft really impacted the Bills. As if look at the first three guys (Flowers, Tillman and Moore) we took that year none of them are contributing on this team right now.  Just imagine if just one of them lived up to expectations we'd have either 1)An DE opposite Aaron Schobel that many feel we lack or 2)A starting FS that allow us to keep Vincent at CB and McGee at nickel back or 3)A 3rd down pass rushing LB.

264279[/snapback]

Great post......though I think you're wrong about Moore......isn't he 'contributing' to making license plates for all the nation? :angry:

Bad stretch

The end of David Terrell means the Bears batted .250 in top draft picks between 1998-2001. Only Brian Urlacher remains as Terrell joined Curtis Enis and Cade McNown on the failure list.

There are other teams with similar poor averages. The Arizona Cardinals have only Leonard Davis to show for those four years. The Buffalo Bills have only Nate Clements. The Green Bay Packers have only Bubba Franks. The San Diego Chargers have only LaDainian Tomlinson. The Carolina Panthers have Dan Morgan.

Two teams are worse. The Kansas City Chiefs and Miami Dolphins have no players left from those four drafts when most good teams collected their nucleus. The Indianapolis Colts selected Peyton Manning, Edgerrin James, Rob Morris and Reggie Wayne, for example. The Philadelphia Eagles picked Tra Thomas, Donovan McNabb, Corey Simon and Freddie Mitchell.

If Marc Colombo can't come back from injury, the Bears' five-year record between 1998-2002 puts them with the Chiefs and Dolphins at the bottom of draft futility_one in five.

The Bears, however, have done a better job of collecting recycled top picks from other teams. They have the 1998 No. 1 pick of the San Francisco 49ers, R.W. McQuarters, the 1999 No. 1 pick of the Chiefs, John Tait, and the 2000 No. 1 pick of the Cardinals, Thomas Jones.

Bad stretch

The end of David Terrell means the Bears batted .250 in top draft picks between 1998-2001. Only Brian Urlacher remains as Terrell joined Curtis Enis and Cade McNown on the failure list.

There are other teams with similar poor averages. The Arizona Cardinals have only Leonard Davis to show for those four years. The Buffalo Bills have only Nate Clements. The Green Bay Packers have only Bubba Franks. The San Diego Chargers have only LaDainian Tomlinson. The Carolina Panthers have Dan Morgan.

Two teams are worse. The Kansas City Chiefs and Miami Dolphins have no players left from those four drafts when most good teams collected their nucleus. The Indianapolis Colts selected Peyton Manning, Edgerrin James, Rob Morris and Reggie Wayne, for example. The Philadelphia Eagles picked Tra Thomas, Donovan McNabb, Corey Simon and Freddie Mitchell.

If Marc Colombo can't come back from injury, the Bears' five-year record between 1998-2002 puts them with the Chiefs and Dolphins at the bottom of draft futility_one in five.

The Bears, however, have done a better job of collecting recycled top picks from other teams. They have the 1998 No. 1 pick of the San Francisco 49ers, R.W. McQuarters, the 1999 No. 1 pick of the Chiefs, John Tait, and the 2000 No. 1 pick of the Cardinals, Thomas Jones.

264295[/snapback]

You don't differentiate between bad picks and good picks that are no longer on the team due to injury/higher bidder? Big difference between Cowart/Winfield and Flowers.

winfield was before donahoe. 1999 draft. winfield is a good player, but he was out for a contract that we couldn't afford. Case closed. the vikes overpaid.

264267[/snapback]

brandon, you're one of my favorite posters here, but i beg to differ that the vikes overpaid. when winfield was in there, they were an nfl caliber defense. when he was hurt, they were cfl level. and he didn't hurt their cap situation. winfield was sensational this year. how was he not worth the money, especially when he didn't cause the team to refuse going after other players or cutting their own??

264267[/snapback]

Winfield is one of the bast tackling corner backs I have ever seen, might even be the best in the league at tackling right now. Great cover guy too just never picked off enough passes.