Talent and/or character

I heard something interesting yesterday and it got me thinking. The highest drafted player that the Bills have on their roster is Shaq Lawson at 19. I believe that every other team in the NFL has at least 1 guy picked in the top 10 (maybe not the Packers but theyve been good forever). You need talent to win. A team with talent and no character isnt a winning recipe just like a team with character and a lack of talent.

No, this isnt an overreaction to last night. Its just something that I thought was interesting and a little eye opening.

I heard something interesting yesterday and it got me thinking. The highest drafted player that the Bills have on their roster is Shaq Lawson at 19. I believe that every other team in the NFL has at least 1 guy picked in the top 10 (maybe not the Packers but theyve been good forever). You need talent to win. A team with talent and no character isnt a winning recipe just like a team with character and a lack of talent.

No, this isnt an overreaction to last night. Its just something that I thought was interesting and a little eye opening.

But Shaq isn't talented.

Mr. Tom Brady wants to have a word with you.

Why?

But Shaq isn't talented.

I didnt say that he was. Just illustrating that he is the highest drafted player we have. The Bills havent been in the playoffs in 17 years and the highest drafted player on their team is 19 while just about every other NFL team has top 10 picks. Edited by Kirby Jackson

Doug Whaley and his staff didn't value what's in between the ears of draft prospects. The new guys do.

Thus they are flushing out all of Whaley's guys and that explains the lack of high first round players on the Bills. The new staff has higher expectations and the roster is in flux. The team has overachieved until last night, McBeane will make or break their Buffalo futures on draft night.

What's your timeframe? Short term or long term? Is this the foundation of the team that McD & Beane are planning to build for the future?

As of 8:24 last night everyone knew that this team has overachieved expectations, and can still make the playoffs if they keep getting the bounces. But I don't think that anyone should be deluded that this is the team core going forward.

I think this is an interesting topic. Have to think about it a bit more. What comes to mind immediately is, yes there needs to be a balance between the 2. I think talent is the basis and character is an add-on. Player development is extremely important and that is coaching/organization (some call it culture).Everything matters at the end of the day, and the whole thing is more of an art form rather than an algorithm. My 2 cents.

Doug Whaley and his staff didn't value what's in between the ears of draft prospects. The new guys do.

Thus they are flushing out all of Whaley's guys and that explains the lack of high first round players on the Bills. The new staff has higher expectations and the roster is in flux. The team has overachieved until last night, McBeane will make or break their Buffalo futures on draft night.

Yes and no, they just traded for a guy that showed up to camp 20 pounds overweight this year.

Who was drafted in the top 10 on the Patriots? Steelers?

Aren't the Browns filled with many top 10 or first round pick players?

Off the top of my head Gilmore, Haden, Ben was pick 11

The Browns dont count in any NFL comparison. They are the equivalent of you can find a good QB in the 6th like Tom Brady.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Every team has to have a blend of playmakers and role players who 'fit the scheme'. Besides the obvious QB position, there needs to be at least one star for positions such as DE, CB, WR and T. I agree we are undertalented at several of these positions

Another aspect is leadership - besides KyleW, I will be hard pressed to identify who the clear leaders are in the locker room. Maybe several are too new to the team but we need a few of them.

I am hoping yesterday's game was an anomaly and we get back on track in 10 days.