Shady Backups

RyanC883

So far, so good with Shady this year. The one thing I see derailing this season is an injury to Shady. With that said, who should we attempt to acquire at the trade deadline as a Shady backup. I know J. WIlliams is a FA we could grab if Shady got hurt, but I'd want to both grab J. Williams and an experienced back.

My potential trade partner is Indy for Frank Gore. The guy still has something left, and he is playing behind a TERRIBLE line in Indy. Trading Gore also helps Indy by letting Mack get more carries. I'm thinking a 4th gets this done.

Other ideas??

According to McDermott there is no such thing as a backup on the Bills, regardless.

No Frank Gore is too old, this team is moving forward, rather try and develop a young talent, Gore would command a vet pay scale, isnt worth it. I dont see how getting a RB 5 years older than the one we are worried about (Shady) getting hurt solves anything.

So far, so good with Shady this year. The one thing I see derailing this season is an injury to Shady. With that said, who should we attempt to acquire at the trade deadline as a Shady backup. I know J. WIlliams is a FA we could grab if Shady got hurt, but I'd want to both grab J. Williams and an experienced back.

My potential trade partner is Indy for Frank Gore. The guy still has something left, and he is playing behind a TERRIBLE line in Indy. Trading Gore also helps Indy by letting Mack get more carries. I'm thinking a 4th gets this done.

Other ideas??

Interesting thought on Gore.

I wouldn't think there is a tougher or more well respected guy in the league.

Definitely a McDermott guy.

Before his knee injuries Frank Gore looked like a more powerful Marshall Faulk as a prep and early on at Miami.......just an unreal open field talent.

He was greatly diminished before he ever stepped on an NFL field......... and by force of will he has managed to change himself into a power back and still somehow put together a HOF resume.

That said........at his age and mileage and the fact that he may retire at the end of the year.........probably a very late pick is all he would bring........and it would be nice if the Colts mercy-traded him to a playoff contender.

Would probably have no difficulty transitioning to this offense........which Dennison is making look much more like the Roman offense that Gore played in for several years.

According to McDermott there is no such thing as a backup on the Bills, regardless.

No Frank Gore is too old, this team is moving forward, rather try and develop a young talent, Gore would command a vet pay scale, isnt worth it. I dont see how getting a RB 5 years older than the one we are worried about (Shady) getting hurt solves anything.

Bills are the second oldest team in the NFL..........if they were about trying to develop a young talent they would have probably kept Jon Williams over Banyard, who will be 29 next week.

Bills are the second oldest team in the NFL..........if they were about trying to develop a young talent they would have probably kept Jon Williams over Banyard, who will be 29 next we

Second oldest team in the NFL is a dramatic stat but wildly misleading, the median age for the Bills is .75 of one year above the median, borderline non-event. We are about developing young talent, that is why we have something like 19 draft picks next year, then our average will plummet.

Second oldest team in the NFL is a dramatic stat but wildly misleading, the median age for the Bills is .75 of one year above the median, borderline non-event. We are about developing young talent, that is why we have something like 19 draft picks next year, then our average will plummet.

You REALLY haven't been paying attention.

Young players are important because they are cheap......but it's not about youth with this team.......there isn't an abundance of stashed youth in development on the back of this roster like most teams keep.

The Seahawks won the SB with the youngest team in the NFL.........being the second oldest team in the NFL is significant.

You REALLY haven't been paying attention.

Young players are important because they are cheap......but it's not about youth with this team.......there isn't an abundance of stashed youth in development on the back of this roster like most teams keep.

The Seahawks won the SB with the youngest team in the NFL.........being the second oldest team in the NFL is significant.

Bills are the second oldest team in the NFL..........if they were about trying to develop a young talent they would have probably kept Jon Williams over Banyard, who will be 29 next week.

Citing one very narrow example to support you argument, it is a delicate balancing act, age is just one issue. If you dont think stockpiling picks is about developing talent I dont know what to tell you.

Edited by RoyBatty is alive

Citing one very narrow example to support you argument, it is a delicate balancing act, age is just one issue. If you dont think stockpiling picks is about developing talent I dont know what to tell you.

Last year they traded picks to move up for Jones and Dawkins.........they were an old team........it would have made sense by normal procedure to stay put and stock up on more early round talents........but instead they dealt quantity for perceived quality/fits.

If they did it last year then they are just as likely to do it again this year.

They aren't trying to replicate what the Seahawks did.......they are more likely going to gradually get younger than they are to plug in 5-6 rookies as starters next year.

i can't say for certain their mindset obviously but Belichick is favoring acquiring veteran players over stockpiling youth because of the increased difficulty in developing young talent with practice restrictions caused by collective bargaining advances by the NFLPA.

If you want to win now I don't think you want a dozen rookies on your 53......they make a lot of mistakes and that's why a guy like Joe Banyard has a job in Buffalo instead of a rookie.

There is no need to trade for a RB. Sure Shady would be a terrible player to miss. Not like we fared any better with Gillislee the last few years without him. I am starting to enjoy the Tolbert element to the run game. In the second half with a lead having Tolbert come in when the d knows we are running to give Mccoy a blow does not allow the defense to rest or breath. 5-10 260 is nothing fun to get in front of.