Connie Hawkins dies

Kelly the Dog

You should take another look.

Great stuff. I remember watching him. I’ll just agree to disagree that he possessed the kind of explosiveness that Hawkins and Dr. J did. They played above the rim far more often. Baylor not so much.

Great stuff. I remember watching him. I’ll just agree to disagree that he possessed the kind of explosiveness that Hawkins and Dr. J did. They played above the rim far more often. Baylor not so much.

That's cool. :thumbsup:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/342212-the-freaky-three-three-athletes-who-revolutionized-basketball

Every once in a great while, a basketball player shows up with such extraordinary athletic ability that the game changes. Fans, players, coaches, and casual observers all begin to take notice and rave about the physical prowess of this new specimen.
Throughout the history of basketball, only two players have ever shown up and altered the landscape forever.
And we may now be seeing a third.
The first such player came into the league during the 1958-59 season. His name is Elgin Baylor.

Before Baylor laced them up for the Lakers, the phrase "playing above the rim" did not exist. Standing at 6'5" and weighing in at 225 pounds, Baylor was big for a small forward.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Baylor was great, but he didnt play above the rim with the array of moves in the air that Hawkins did.

Agreed. I don't even think it was close. Baylor was great player but Hawkins was on another level. Most people even old enough to remember Hawkins didn't really see much of him in his prime.

Agreed. I don't even think it was close. Baylor was great player but Hawkins was on another level. Most people even old enough to remember Hawkins didn't really see much of him in his prime.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/h/hawkico01.html

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/bayloel01.html

I thought we were talking about spectacular playing above the rim not who scored more points. Hawkins was pretty much shot before he got to the NBA.

If that's what you meant, I misread your "on a another level" with respect to the Hawk. He wasn't as dominant in the NBA after the couple year stint in the ABA.

If that's what you meant, I misread your "on a another level" with respect to the Hawk. He wasn't as dominant in the NBA after the couple year stint in the ABA.

He got framed in a point shaving scandal he was later exonerated on. He was a kid from the streets taken advantage of knowing nothing. Wasn't allowed to play college. Wasnt allowed in NBA for years. Then hurt his knees.

Gus Johnson was another founding small forward who played well above the rim durIn the late 60s with the Bulets.

That was my favorite NBA team ever. So much fun to watch. Far from the best. But Earl Monroe was my favorite player when I was a kid. Monroe. Gus Johnson. Wes Unseld. Kevin Loughery and Jack Marin, the human grape juice stain. The battles against the Knicks and Clyde were awesome.