DC Sean McDermott vs QB Matt Ryan

PromoTheRobot

Sal Capaccio was on the WGR morning show and said the most sacks Ryan has taken by a wide margin was to the Panthers. 47 of 196 sacks came when McDermott served as Panthers DC.

Not surprising. It will almost always be a division rival, what with having two games a year to run up stats, and the Bucs have been bad for a while, and while the Saints have been decent on and off, they're an offensive team not a defensive one.

Edited by Thurman#1

Yes. His numbers still weren't all the bad, and he went somewhere around .500 against McD during those years. I'm excepting this to be the first game where our defense give up some big numbers. I hope that I'm wrong, but I'm not excepting much from this game. The Falcons offense is incredibly good. In the NFL there is a chance of winning every game, but I see this one as the least winnable on our schedule.

The Falcons went 2-4 against the Panthers during those three years.

And while Ryan wasn't awful those three years, he wasn't as good as he had been or as he is now. Throw out his first two years as he got used to the league and two of his three worst years (out of eight years, those were his 7th, 4th and 8th best years out of eight, going by passer rating). Except for those three years he's never been below 99 in passer rating in the last six years, and those years he went 89.6, 93.9 and 89.0. He really had down years.

I agree with you that I expect the Birds to put up big numbers against our defense. I don't see us winning this one, though they certainly have an outside chance.

The Falcons went 2-4 against the Panthers during those three years.

And while Ryan wasn't awful those three years, he wasn't as good as he had been or as he is now. Throw out his first two years as he got used to the league and two of his three worst years (out of eight years, those were his 7th, 4th and 8th best years out of eight, going by passer rating). Except for those three years he's never been below 99 in passer rating in the last six years, and those years he went 89.6, 93.9 and 89.0. He really had down years.

I agree with you that I expect the Birds to put up big numbers against our defense. I don't see us winning this one, though they certainly have an outside chance.

So you're saying if we throw out 4 years out of 9, and ignore 3 more, his stats look pretty good? He's had a passer rating of 99+ in 22% of his complete NFL seasons, and 3 games into this year he is on pace for his 3rd.

need to play the falcons like the bears did. allowed only two falcons tds but a bunch of fg's. thats what we need to do. they will get their yards but we gotta just hold them in the red zone and cause turnovers and be more aggressive on those turnovers.

THIS.

The Falcons will move the ball up and down the field basically at will through the air, and we can survive that. Stout in the red zone, hold to FGs and stay in the game.