ESPN *tried* to take Jemele Hill off the air...and failed.

dpberr

PJ Media's Stephen Kruiser did an excellent job this week pointing out the double standards employed by ESPN in the Jemele Hill controversy. ESPN executives treated Linda Cohn and Curt Schilling far differently, for similar — or lesser — offenses. In Cohn's case, it was merely acknowledging the point that ESPN is ignoring its constituency, leading to a suspension:

ESPN stalwart
the network's non-sports wander into politics in an interview last spring, noting that the "core group" of viewers who made ESPN so successful were being ignored.

Schilling was fired outright for retweeting a meme indicating his agreement with North Carolina's bathroom law. Hill, on the other hand, received a reprimand for calling the president of the United States a white supremacist. Hill's non-apology apology only made things worse:

My comments on Twitter expressed my personal beliefs. My regret is that my comments and the public way I made them painted ESPN in an unfair light. My respect for the company and my colleagues remains unconditional.

Let us be crystal clear on this point: Hill is not sorry that she offended at least half the country. Schilling offended a minority of Americans. Cohn merely acknowledged, without taking a side either way, that some of their audience had bled off because of politics. Schilling got fired; Cohn was suspended; Hill was on the air the very next day.

Is it any wonder that right-thinking people are turning off ES(JW)PN?

College GameDay (maybe the last ~30 or so leading up to Corso's picks)

NCAA Football games

Monday Night Football

The rest of ESPN </crickets>

I believe he picked Bavaria State to annihilate Guernica in the finals.

The Zyklon Bees did have a tendency to smoke the competition

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

PJ Media's Stephen Kruiser did an excellent job this week pointing out the double standards employed by ESPN in the Jemele Hill controversy. ESPN executives treated Linda Cohn and Curt Schilling far differently, for similar or lesser offenses. In Cohn's case, it was merely acknowledging the point that ESPN is ignoring its constituency, leading to a suspension:

ESPN stalwart Linda Cohn lamented the network's non-sports wander into politics in an interview last spring, noting that the "core group" of viewers who made ESPN so successful were being ignored.

Schilling was fired outright for retweeting a meme indicating his agreement with North Carolina's bathroom law. Hill, on the other hand, received a reprimand for calling the president of the United States a white supremacist. Hill's non-apology apology only made things worse:

My comments on Twitter expressed my personal beliefs. My regret is that my comments and the public way I made them painted ESPN in an unfair light. My respect for the company and my colleagues remains unconditional.

Let us be crystal clear on this point: Hill is not sorry that she offended at least half the country. Schilling offended a minority of Americans. Cohn merely acknowledged, without taking a side either way, that some of their audience had bled off because of politics. Schilling got fired; Cohn was suspended; Hill was on the air the very next day.

Is it any wonder that right-thinking people are turning off ES(JW)PN?

Hill has "unconditional respect" for ESPN and its workers? I thought by definition everyone had to earn respect. I mean other than Andrew Luck, he clearly should be respected by all. Edited by 4merper4mer