Outside Zone stretch

Buffalo716

Yesterday and all season I suspect we will run a heavy dose of outside zone. The more you run it , the more effective you will become at blocking it because it takes cohesion. The lineman must learn to flow together as one and all move in unison.

What we saw yesterday a few times is the genius of the outside zone. When the defense over persues to the stretch, huge cutback lanes open up in the middle of the line. Mike Tolbert hit one cut back through a hole so big you could drive a semi through it.

When defenses over persue to keep shady from hitting the corner there will be massive cut back lanes waiting for him all season that I'm sure he will find. I've always been a fan of a good zone blocking scheme and Dennison sure loves his stretch plays.

I think it's a match made in heaven for TT and shady

I've seen some negativity regarding zone blocking schemes. Most don't realize that Buffalo all ready used a heavy dose of zone blocking last year. It's not like this is something new to them. The beauty is they are also playing an up tempo offense and wearing that D down.

I've seen some negativity regarding zone blocking schemes. Most don't realize that Buffalo all ready used a heavy dose of zone blocking last year. It's not like this is something new to them. The beauty is they are also playing an up tempo offense and wearing that D down.

Exactly.

We ran a heavy dose of inside/outside zone runs.

They weren't necessarily stretch zone plays , but we ran plenty of zone runs from shotgun last year. We should adapt to a full zone scheme rather quick and seamlessly

Yesterday and all season I suspect we will run a heavy dose of outside zone. The more you run it , the more effective you will become at blocking it because it takes cohesion. The lineman must learn to flow together as one and all move in unison.

What we saw yesterday a few times is the genius of the outside zone. When the defense over persues to the stretch, huge cutback lanes open up in the middle of the line. Mike Tolbert hit one cut back through a hole so big you could drive a semi through it.

When defenses over persue to keep shady from hitting the corner there will be massive cut back lanes waiting for him all season that I'm sure he will find. I've always been a fan of a good zone blocking scheme and Dennison sure loves his stretch plays.

I think it's a match made in heaven for TT and shady

....good assessment and good to hear bud......sure it's only Dennison's first game here and we're been led astray before by OC's as in AVP, Schonert & Fairchild, but I'm cautiously optimistic we found our right guy...stay tuned....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

Yup..making those DLinemen run side to side instead of just letting them move a few steps either way will definitely wear them out over the course of a game...

The only thing I didnt like about yesterdays run game is when Tolbert (who was used a LOT) starts doing anything but North/South running.

Keep it moving forward big man

Yes. The stretch is designed to cut back so hopefully he learns that sometimes putting your head down and getting 2 is better than running sideways for 0 or -2