OK....who here has watched film of Tim Anderson

he was a decent college player for OSU .... but he's no PHAT PAT

260871[/snapback]

Ten cent wings can take care of that...

Last seasom, the Bills d-line was pretty good at run stuffing but as for a pass rush there were too many times when the rush would get an initial surge and stall. This was especially true against the Pats and the Steelers. It would be nice to do better.

Anderson will never be as good as Pat. Pat is a great DL who can play nose tackle as well. Anderson will be average at best. We have to hope that Edwards plays well. He is good on the pass rush. Next year we will need to draft a DL in the first round because we are very thin there now and could be very weak very soon. Not a good place to be weak. Especially in a division with Corey Dillon and Curtis Martin. Not a good move by TD to just sit there on the sideline. There is nobody there in the draft or free agency this year to replace him.

Anderson will never be as good as Pat.

260993[/snapback]

That's a pretty big prediction -- especially considering how little we've seen of Anderson and considering how long it took Fat Pat to breakout.

Huh????

261067[/snapback]

Isn't "Mr. Irrelevant" the moniker of the guy who was chosen each year with the last pick of the draft? Pat Williams went undrafted.

I am not inferring or predicting that Tim Anderson is going to come close to being the player that Pat Williams was, and still is. I sincerely doubt it, although it's possible, and perhaps even likely that he will be a solid pro. I was only responding to the post that Tim Anderson was "a decent college player" but no Phat Pat by saying Anderson was a decent college player too, and drafted in the third round while Pat wasn't even drafted.

Phat Pat was a decent college player and drafted slightly below Mr. Irrelevant.

260947[/snapback]

:( Nice job, Kelly

What KTFBD is saying is WIlliams went undrafted and took some time to become a good player. Hardly dominating at Texas A&M. The guy playing next to him for the Aggies, Sam Adams, was dominating and became a 1st round pick.

I saw Anderson play every game for Ohio St. and know he's a mega strong plugger of a DT who needs some work with his technique. Good against the run and can get a bit of a push. A 3rd round pick with an upside and a year under his belt.

Ron Edwards played very well last year and why people can't see that is beyond me.

The guy playing next to him for the Aggies, Sam Adams, was dominating and became a 1st round pick.

261093[/snapback]

If memory serves correct, Brandon Mitchell was the star of A&M DL in Pat's senior yr and was a 2nd Rd pick.

:(  Nice job, Kelly

What KTFBD is saying is WIlliams went undrafted and took some time to become a good player. Hardly dominating at Texas A&M. The guy playing next to him for the Aggies, Sam Adams, was dominating and became a 1st round pick.

I saw Anderson play every game for Ohio St. and know he's a mega strong plugger of a DT who needs some work with his technique. Good against the run and can get a bit of a push. A 3rd round pick with an upside and a year under his belt.

Ron Edwards played very well last year and why people can't see that is beyond me.

261093[/snapback]

That was exactly the point he was making, and it's a GREAT point. You can't write off Anderson just because of where he was drafted.

261093[/snapback]

I really don't see why so many people are in a panic because we haven't done anything in free agency yet. Edwards did very well when called upon last year and that is what made PW expendable. Same thing with Jennings, although with him we don't have a legitimate replacement yet. Some here are talking like he was a megastar at his position. I never thought of JJ as anything more than average, I'm sure we can sign an average player for a hell of a lot less than what JJ wanted and received from San Fran.

So far, all in all, I'm happy that TD has not gone out and spent a ton of money on anyone yet. Lets just sit back, relax, and enjoy the free agency period and see what TD, the scouting dept, and coaching staff have in mind. The only thing I'm anxious about is what we're going to get for Travis.

I think edwards made some great plays as a pass rusher last year but was still routinely manhandled as a run stuffer, and that on first downs, when Pat and Sam were not side by side, our defense suffered dramatically.

That said, if Tim Anderson can play first down and hold his own, and Ron Edwards can play on passing downs, we may not suffer so much. Perhaps that is what they are thinking.

I think that the bills know what they have in Ron Edwards

It is the Tim Anderson that is intriguing to me.....I hear nothing but good things about the guy coming out of College....but then there were weeks I dont think he even suited up......

What I am wondering is if the bills got him....realized that they had a lot of depth at the position at the time and told him to just concentrate on his weight room conditioning for the year......pack on about 20 pounds.....

I get this feeling that we are going to be very impressed with im in training camp this season....he is going to come out of nowhere to impress......

The bills knew waht they had in Pat and Sam....there had to be a reason why they allowed him to leave....

I think that the bills know what they have in Ron Edwards

It is the Tim Anderson that is intriguing to me.....I hear nothing but good things about the guy coming out of College....but then there were weeks I dont think he even suited up......

What I am wondering is if the bills got him....realized that they had a lot of depth at the position at the time and told him to just concentrate on his weight room conditioning for the year......pack on about 20 pounds.....

I get this feeling that we are going to be very impressed with im in training camp this season....he is going to come out of nowhere to impress......

The bills knew waht they had in Pat and Sam....there had to be a reason why they allowed him to leave....

261134[/snapback]

It really would have been hard for the Bills to dress 5 DTs during the games. Sam and Pat and Edwards were givens. Bannan, a similar player as Anderson, had a year up and then started seeing time early on as a back-up G and TE on the offense. In this morning's News there was a little mention of Anderson, but in the FWIW department.

There's a good chance the Bills will try to replace Williams primarily from within. The Bills invested a third-round draft choice last April in Ohio State product Tim Anderson, a 307-pounder. He was active only four games last season and saw almost no action on defense. However, the Bills were encouraged by his practice play as the season wore on. Their other incumbent option is Ron Edwards, a 320-pounder with four years experience. Edwards saw spot duty in relief of Williams last season and finished with 15 tackles and four sacks.

:(  Nice job, Kelly

261093[/snapback]

I thought the draft book on him included a very good first 3 steps in pass rushing?

but then there were weeks I dont think he even suited up......

261134[/snapback]

He dressed for something like 3 early games and the finale in Pitt. I figure Krumrie simply wants him to get stronger and develop his hands before relying on him to contribute in meaningful contests.

I'd also bet the team watched PWilliams getting singled on almost evey passing down while Sam drew the doubles, and consequently they felt they could put a better value proposition next to Sam with at least similar results. We shall see- one thing that seems clear is that Ron Edwards is nowhere near the tackler that Pat is. The guy who will pay for that if Edwards starts will be LFletcher- can he take a year of bringing down backs regularly showing up at his level with a head of steam?