Bills trade Sammy Watkins to Rams for CB Gaines, 2nd rd pick

Roundybout

He panicked when he realized that Watkins was healthy and what that could mean in the upcoming offseason . He obviously took time to make the move just weeks before the season, but the entire move was based on a panic of not being able to re-sign the player. That's far from absurd. SW was a team asset already acquired. There was no further cost to the team to keep him this season and a reasonable cost for 2018. Why is that hard to understand? He knew he screwed up and lost the player, so it was look bad now or look worse later. He pretty much admitted that when he talked about " signability". That's what this was about . They screwed up, regardless of the spin they are trying to put on it now.

Saying he panicked is like people claiming the end of the world because of an ancient mayan calendar. Completely outlandish and based on nothing. Par for the course with your posts.

It's far from absurd. He needed to do nothing now. If SW isnt healthy in 2017 , the Bills FO look like geniuses for not picking up his option. If he is healthy ( looking more likely now) he probably has a good season. Great! Except there's one problem . He won't re- sign in Buffalo because you didn't pick his option up and he's playing hardball. Suddenly you look foolish. Call it what you want, it's a panic because it could all have been avoided . Beans and company care only about their egos, winning is not the top priority.

Yes, he meant that in the sense that Reed was his best WR and his go to. Rodak is still an idiot .

Yikes a brand new gm and hc dont want to win and only worry about their egos??? The entertainment value is high with this one. Edited by Bill_with_it

I think he's simply saying it's hard for a good player to teach someone how to be great. Sammy has had very few opportunities to be led by a player that's been where he is, and there's only so much a lunch pail guy can teach you about being a superstar. That's not to say Sammy ignored everyone simply that there are only so many people in the world that can teach him some of the stuff he needs to learn

So not a simgle player on the team can teach him about proper diet habits, appropriate injury rehab, proper interaction with the media, appropriate use of social media, off season workout routines????

Man I wonder who helped walter p., jerry rice, joe montana, barry sanders, etc...

The combination of Matthews, Jones, and Boldin is better than any combo Buffalo had on the field last year. Very simple with our run game find the single coverage and get them the ball.

Jones looks good, but as a rookie, we don't know what he brings. Boldin and Matthews both are best suited for slot duty. Who's the deep threat to keep defenses honest enough to stay out of eight man fronts?

per one of our bills insiders here who didn't say it here but elsewhere Sammy is a cancer in the locker room and had to go. They posted this afternoon the game Thursday.

Wow. Im not surprised after reading his rants on social media, his whiny interviews, and not wanting to play last year after being cleared by the doctors.

Yeah, that never happened

A lot of what Sammy had to deal with last season is detailed here:

@theMMQB

Don't ask Sammy Watkins how his foot is feeling. He's done talking and ready to play in a contract year.

https://www.si.com/n...contract-option

Last season was the most trying one for Watkins. He was determined not to be held back by the offseason foot surgery, so he was sprinting on the training-camp field just four months later. He played the first two regular-season games, but then was placed on short-term IR because of lingering soreness in the foot. It was only after Watkins returned in November, after an eight-game absence, that Lynn revealed to the media that the receiver was still dealing with a broken bone. He was limping through walk-throughs. He could only run a certain portion of the route tree. At one point, he was wearing linemen’s cleats to practice, desperate to find anything even slightly more comfortable.

Some around Watkins urged him to just go ahead and get the surgery, but he was determined to play out the season. The fact that he was still the best receiver on the team—in Week 16 against the Dolphins he racked up 154 receiving yards—masked the mental and physical strain.

“It was incredibly difficult,” Incognito says. “All through the offseason, there were lingering questions: Would he be ready for camp? He was battling that. Then we got into the season and the foot wasn’t where it needed to be. It was really a whole gamut of emotions. I felt—as a competitor, as a teammate, as a friend—frustrated for him. You see the frustration because he just wants to be out there with us. I think it speaks to the man that he is and what a great competitor he is because he could’ve just put it on the shelf in 2016. … But he went through the pain and he labored through just to be out there those last couple games.”

Jones looks good, but as a rookie, we don't know what he brings. Boldin and Matthews both are best suited for slot duty. Who's the deep threat to keep defenses honest enough to stay out of eight man fronts?

Jones and Matthews have plenty speed. The difference is you will not see as many go routes this year. West coast offenses is more horizontal in attack than vertical. Sure niether are as dynamic as Watkins but either can beat single coverage.

Sammy ran a 4.43 at the combine. Matthews ran a 4.46 and Zay Jones ran a 4.45. Doesn't seem like that huge of a difference to me, if they wanted to send Matthews or Jones on a go route. I believe Jones did alright as a deep threat in college when they asked him to, no? We don't really know how Dennison will use them yet.

Rod Streator actually ran a 4.37 sec. 40yd dash. So maybe he can be the deep threat?

I wonder how much Dennison will use the deep pass, though. Seems like maybe he plans on using shorter passes and YAC, playing a possession style game eating up clock. I guess we will see.

If they do feel they need a true burner/deep threat I'm sure they'll try and find one between now and the start of the season. Shouldn't be all that hard to find a speed guy IMO.

Jones and Matthews have plenty speed. The difference is you will not see as many go routes this year. West coast offenses is more horizontal in attack than vertical. Sure niether are as dynamic as Watkins but either can beat single coverage.

Matthews is not a speed guy in the NFL irrespective of what he timed in shorts. He's a physical possession WR best suited to slot duty and when given chances to play outside hasn't been as effective. Jones looks promising, but is an unknown at this juncture. Obviously the WCO is designed to attack the field horizontally, but it's still nice to have the deep threat as part of the arsenal. I'm skeptical as to any one of the WRs being able to defeat single coverage of opposing teams' #1 CBs with any kind of consistency.

Sammy ran a 4.43 at the combine. Matthews ran a 4.46 and Zay Jones ran a 4.45. Doesn't seem like that huge of a difference to me, if they wanted to send Matthews or Jones on a go route. I believe Jones did alright as a deep threat in college when they asked him to, no? We don't really know how Dennison will use them yet.

Rod Streator actually ran a 4.37 sec. 40yd dash. So maybe he can be the deep threat?

I wonder how much Dennison will use the deep pass, though. Seems like maybe he plans on using shorter passes and YAC, playing a possession style game eating up clock. I guess we will see.

If they do feel they need a true burner/deep threat I'm sure they'll try and find one between now and the start of the season. Shouldn't be all that hard to find a speed guy IMO.

In shorts. How fast you play in real games is what matters. Streater? What has he done in the NFL?

Ever have one of those break-ups where immediately you're like, "I love you baby but I think this is the best thing for both of us", and then 4 or 5 days later you're like, "WHAT IN THE EFFING WORLD WAS I THINKING!!!". I'm having one of those moments about Sammy after seeing him in a Rams T. Ugh...

Can you please pull out the quote where the doctors gave him the go ahead? Those quotes that you linked to didn't address that. Thanks

The Daily News reported that X-rays after the game did not show any broken bones in Watkins' foot and that doctors consider his availability in upcoming games to be a pain-management issue

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17530425/buffalo-bills-coach-rex-ryan-says-wr-sammy-watkins-foot-possibility-playing-thursday

I literally heard the pain tolerance statement about 2 dozen times last year.

Matthews is not a speed guy in the NFL irrespective of what he timed in shorts. He's a physical possession WR best suited to slot duty and when given chances to play outside hasn't been as effective. Jones looks promising, but is an unknown at this juncture. Obviously the WCO is designed to attack the field horizontally, but it's still nice to have the deep threat as part of the arsenal. I'm skeptical as to any one of the WRs being able to defeat single coverage of opposing teams' #1 CBs with any kind of consistency.

In shorts. How fast you play in real games is what matters. Streater? What has he done in the NFL?

I never said he was a burner. The wr corp as a group is better than last years. Streater and holmes are solid 4 or 5th wrs.

The Daily News reported that X-rays after the game did not show any broken bones in Watkins' foot and that doctors consider his availability in upcoming games to be a pain-management issue

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17530425/buffalo-bills-coach-rex-ryan-says-wr-sammy-watkins-foot-possibility-playing-thursday

I literally heard the pain tolerance statement about 2 dozen times last year.

So he wasn't cleared? Cool story

I never said he was a burner. The wr corp as a group is better than last years. Streater and holmes are solid 4 or 5th wrs.

I guess so with the scrubs they were running out there with Goodwin, Tate, Powell, etc., but that's a pretty low bar to beat. Streater and Holmes are question marks.