Anquan Boldin Signs 1 Year Deal with the Bills Pg45

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder what fans expect him to say, "I'm just glad to be a part of an upcoming 8-8 season?" His quotes are standard FA lip service. Spending 14 years in the league doesn't just polish your route-running, it also makes you very savvy in front of the media. Don't get me wrong, I think this is a smart signing by our FO, but he was a FA in August - we weren't his #1 destination all along.

It's not always "obvious" to a player or a team that they might be the right fit together. It sounds to me like Boldin wanted to take the offseason to make a decision about whether or not he still had the passion to play. The salary he signed for with Buffalo is certainly not a "huge" contract, which is why I don't think it was just about the money. Whatever the reason it took him some time to make the decision, I don't think he was simply saying what he thought folks wanted to hear.

I thought his comments about not buying into preseason prognostications were the most interesting of the entire Q&A session. He cited the uncertainty of injuries, but also noted how little things behind the scenes that the media/fans don't see are a significant factor. I think McD understands this as well.

Anyway, I'm thrilled the Bills got a player of Boldin's quality and character, both for his expected performance and his influence over the team. This is the sort of locker room guy who makes a difference without even catching a pass.

The Bills traded Bob Chandler for Villapiano before the draft in 1980. Villapiano did help the team a lot, and no one really wanted Chandler, even though he was great. Chandler had more receptions from 75-77 than any WR in the league. He was then one of the stars in the Raiders Super Bowl win.

It's great some of us old-timers remember.

I hated losing Bobby - probably my favorite player at the time. But that wasn't Villapiano's fault and we kept hearing stories about how much Villapiano brought to the locker room and how he effectively mentored the younger players and taught them what it took to win.

It seems like AB will have a similar impact.