Being a Bills fan helped me today and it taught me something

I drive trucks for a living. Today in PA I was about to enter interstate 81 and a DOT officer pulled me over. I noticed he had a Bills sticker on the computer he was using in his vehicle. As he's running the info I told him I'm also a Bills fan. He asked me what made me a Bills fan being from Jersey. I explained to him why and then he told me what made him a Bills fan being from PA.

We went over so much as far as history, Sammy Watkins, Tyrod and all of our hopes. We talked so much that we were on the side of the highway and he didn't even want to go over my truck. I normally get agitated when I'm stopped by DOT, and all he was doing was his job. With all that's going on with law enforcement and the African American community I hope some people that rode by got to see that a relationship can develope and all it take is level heads and sometimes common grounds. This officer was very cool and I pray more are like him or he rub off on the ones that don't care to be like him somewhat.

Overall being a Bills fan finally paid off as of late. And I hope and pray that law enforcement and all communities find a way to coexist and weed out the bad on both sides.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bills fan born and raised in Jersey too. Awesome story.

I only see it maybe once or twice a year someone wearing or having something on their car that signals their a Bills fan. Never was fortunate enough to turn into anything more. This site is as close as it gets for me

I'm struggling to see what this has to do with race.

You got pulled over as normal course of business. You both realized you had a common interest in the Bills.

That's a cool enough story. The race part, to me, was extraneous.

So he never found the kilos of cocaine? Awesome! :)

JK - I play tennis at a park several times a week and I'm often the only white guy to show up there all day, out of dozens of people. A cop car went by and one of my best friends pointed out they changed the paint job. I was all "HUH?", and he thought it was hysterical I didn't notice the difference. I showed up the next week and he was laughing saying "I just told everybody how you don't even notice cop cars!". They still laugh about that. You can think you're enlightened, but it's not the same as living it, I guess. We can only hope for better...

I'm struggling to see what this has to do with race.

You got pulled over as normal course of business. You both realized you had a common interest in the Bills.

That's a cool enough story. The race part, to me, was extraneous.

Being African American the common narrative is its never a normal course of business. And there are cases where there's no such thing as common interest. Not trying to race bait at all. Just not that common where I'm from for a white law enforcement officer to have a decent convo with a African American especially after pulling him over.

Being African American the common narrative is its never a normal course of business. And there are cases where there's no such thing as common interest. Not trying to race bait at all. Just not that common where I'm from for a white law enforcement officer to have a decent convo with a African American especially after pulling him over.

It's total race bait. You were in Pennsylvania, not Paducah, KY.

tenor.gif

It's total race bait. You were in Pennsylvania, not Paducah, KY.

70.99% White, 23.67% African American, 0.22% Native American, 1.02% Asian, 0.02% Pacific Islander, 1.07% from other races, and 3.01% from two or more races. Hispanics or Latinos of any race were 2.68% of the population.

not a great example.

try Denton, NC - 98.07% White, 0.62% African American, 0.34% Asian, 0.34% from other races, and 0.62% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.00% of the population.

Edited by Boyst62

70.99% White, 23.67% African American, 0.22% Native American, 1.02% Asian, 0.02% Pacific Islander, 1.07% from other races, and 3.01% from two or more races. Hispanics or Latinos of any race were 2.68% of the population.

not a great example.

My brother lived in Paducah, KY whilst in the Navy. A black news personality - after his first night on the job - had a cross burned in his yard. He didn't go back for day 2.

I'm a bleeding heart liberal. I know racism is alive and well in our country and I'm well aware of the strained relations between police and the African-American community.

But this is a routine pullover in Pennsylvania. Let's not act like MLK's dream just came true because a white cop and a black guy bonded over the Bills.

I'm in Atlanta. It can be real. Not that I want to go way down this road....

Exactly. Even when I was pulled over I didn't exactly know how I would be treated. I noticed his Bills sticker and i struck up a convo and he was happy to respond and go down memory lane. I definitely don't want this to go where it look to be heading. Some people geesh.

Exactly. Even when I was pulled over I didn't exactly know how I would be treated. I noticed his Bills sticker and i struck up a convo and he was happy to respond and go down memory lane. I definitely don't want this to go where it look to be heading. Some people geesh.

You created where it's heading.

You created where it's heading.

I think that's being a little harsh. He didn't lead with that, but it's a real factor. I'll try to just step away now as I don't want to provide any fuel. They bonded, all ended well.