Metal Detectors - experience, advice?

boyst

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hear there are artifacts in the shape of bottle caps from historic times in the grounds of Hammers Lot

I hear there may have been artifacts in the shape of Wenro warriors in and around New Era stadium once upon a time.

What remains of Chief Running Buffalo is not a happy camper/tailgater. ( kidding, kinda )

Edited by Figster

You bastages... I gotta give this board up. Yes, I am strange, but not that strange, still good.

"I wake up scared

I wake up strange

I wake up wondering if anything in my life

Is ever gonna change

I wake up scared

I wake up strange

And everything around me stays the same"

I was reading this thread before I went to bed last night. I just woke up. I am "semi-retired... I Only work 3 12s a week, if you don't actually count the 36 hour I "work". Anyway, best time to dream always mid to late morning.

Of course... Last dream I remember, I was using a metal detector. I am weird, but that was weird. I was in San Diego, using a metal detector and there was a hot English teacher... LoL...

And no. Vesuvius was going off around me!

Thank God I didn't leave off reading in that "other" thread. That could have ended horrible! ;-)

I would crap in my neighbors yard if they were metal detecting on my property.

Don't add to it! Cripes, why did I just read this! The 15 word post was just too tantalizing. :-/

;-)

Faces come out of the rain,

when you're strange, when you're strange,

when you're srtraaaaaaange, { Doors}

LMAO!

My Heaven is in Your Outhouse

"Car 54, we have a HazMat situation..."

Moody is that you!

"Police said that they got a call from the parents of a teenage girl who said that when she went to use the facilities, she saw Moody's face staring back at her from the hole.

Moody was hosed off before police cuffed him.

"It's a very filthy environment, and before we put anybody in contact with him, we had to decontaminate him," Hebert said. "We treated him as if he were hazardous material."

http://www.wmur.com/article/man-pulled-from-women-s-outhouse-tank/5142933

If I get a semi decent one. Can I go up dry river beds in known gold areas and maybe find some nuggets?

If by semi decent its a used F75 you probably can IMO.

To do it right though metal detecting is not cheap, unless you want a hobby digging up bottle caps in Hammers Lot.

If you may have an interest, like I told Boyst62, I suggest finding a dealer in the area that will demonstrate the equipment and let you try it.

Some of the dealers carry new and used equipment...

Edited by Figster

no, bought a new phone and nice pair of bluetoof ear buds instead. oh and holding a few thousand up to buy tickets to at least 3 games and hotels etc.

Now all them juicy gold nuggets, Railroad, and civil War mementos you have laying around on your property may never get found.

I hate it when that happens...

Too bad there are no detectors for bodily fluids

Ah... Are you forgetting, detectors do exist:

Black light.

"The same holds for many organic substances, and most bodily fluids including sweat, saliva, and urine will shine when you put them under an ultraviolet "black light." Semen happens to glow the brightest, however, on account of the particular mix of chemicals it contains."

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Ah... Are you forgetting, detectors do exist:

Black light.

"The same holds for many organic substances, and most bodily fluids including sweat, saliva, and urine will shine when you put them under an ultraviolet "black light." Semen happens to glow the brightest, however, on account of the particular mix of chemicals it contains."

So what your saying is substances could in many instances be identified by how they illuminate.

Interesting, so perhaps an actual instrument could be made combining scent and illumination to help law enforcement solve crimes.

I metal detect with a retired Cop out of Clearfield whos going to modify my F75 to go deeper that knows allot about detection devices. l'm going to bring up the idea of making a portable black light device that could actually ID by illumination. Eye test is one thing, but perhaps it can be taken a step further.

Edited by Figster

So what your saying is substances could in many instances be identified by how they illuminate.

Interesting, so perhaps an actual instrument could be made combining scent and illumination to help law enforcement solve crimes.

I metal detect with a retired Cop out of Clarfield whos going to modify my F75 to go deeper that knows allot about detection devices. l'm going to bring up the idea of making a portable black light device that could actually ID by illumination. Eye test is one thing, but perhaps it can be taken a step further.

Wow! Cool! You are one BRAVE and fearless Guy!

I didn't link my quote above, it was just a quick Google search. I am not sure what kind of "legs" the whole black light/illumination approach has when it comes to developing a practical portable detector, but I am glad I tweaked your curiosity!

Should we be scared! ;-)

You Guys were talking about "privy hunting"... This is kind of on topic:

I could show you some real interesting places if one could get access. One of the public health missions of the lock & dam (controlling works) I work @ is to aid in flushing of the Chicago canal system, ie: basically acting as a 1/2 mile long "water closet." Right above the controlling works is where Metro Water Reclamation District (MWRD) have the "schit/mud/sludge flats" for the Chicago area. Kind of a shore bird sanctuary to the untrained eye. Milwaukee sells Milorganite, here in Chicago they basically take all the area sewer sludge and lay it out to bake, cook off and disinfect in the sun. We dilute by flushing the water passing through the drainage, flood control, & navigation systems. The sun disinfects, the migratory birds are in shoreline paradise, water is controlled, & boats pass on by.

Anyway... Just imagine what kind of "schit" one could find in a place like that! It's one big "privy hunt!" Imagine the secrets it may hold.

Do you have a full HazMat suit? ;-)

I am not sure if I should be grossed out or fascinated by whatever could have found it's way through the Chicago area's sewer system. I imagine it could be very fascinating!

Just poop for thought! :-)

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Wow! Cool! You are one BRAVE and fearless Guy!

I didn't link my quote above, it was just a quick Google search. I am not sure what kind of "legs" the whole black light/illumination approach has when it comes to developing a practical portable detector, but I am glad I tweaked your curiosity!

Should we be scared! ;-)

You Guys were talking about "privy hunting"... This is kind of on topic:

I could show you some real interesting places if one could get access. One of the public health missions of the lock & dam (controlling works) I work @ is to aid in flushing of the Chicago canal system, ie: basically acting as a 1/2 mile long "water closet." Right above the controlling works is where Metro Water Reclamation District (MWRD) have the "schit/mud/sludge flats" for the Chicago area. Kind of a shore bird sanctuary to the untrained eye. Milwaukee sells Milorganite, here in Chicago they basically take all the area sewer sludge and lay it out to bake, cook off and disinfect in the sun. We dilute by flushing the water passing through the drainage, flood control, & navigation systems. The sun disinfects, the migratory birds are in shoreline paradise, water is controlled, & boats pass on by.

Anyway... Just imagine what kind of "schit" one could find in a place like that! It's one big "privy hunt!" Imagine the secrets it may hold.

Do you have a full HazMat suit? ;-)

I am not sure if I should be grossed out or fascinated by whatever could have found it's way through the Chicago area's sewer system. I imagine it could be very fascinating!

Just poop for thought! :-)

Very cool, but I'm pretty sure it's the microbes that break down the sludge. Although I'm sure the heat from the sun helps accelerate the process