518 Crew Saves the Day

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wasn't me. I was out of town.

Been on that ride. It Is a slow moving chair ride through the park. If she is sitting in the chair, their is no way she falls out. She had to be fooling around.

Can't protect stupidity

Wasn't me. I was out of town.

Been on that ride. It Is a slow moving chair ride through the park. If she is sitting in the chair, their is no way she falls out. She had to be fooling around.

Can't protect stupidity

How dare these people ignore all the hard work done by Chuck Darwin? lol

"... I said to one of the staffers, I said, 'You guys mean to tell me you don't have anything set up to rescue somebody in this situation?' and he then told me to leave the scene."

The person asking the staffers that is kind of right. You'd think they would have a fireman's thingy or something on hand like a JLG lift or similar... Even a simple botswain's chair on hand.

Ski areas have basic rescue devices on hand. While growing up in WNY, the chairlift @ Blumont (remember old Blumont, great place... Near Yorkshire Corners, NY) was always breaking down. At Blumont ski area, a friend of mine was rescued off the chair with a boatswain's chair. Another friend was close enough to jump onto snowcat just before the unloading ramp. I made it off lift right before the chair broke. Once the other friend made off snowcat... We skied down to stand under other friends and proceeded to throw snowballs at the girlfriend and him while they were making out... Ahhhh to be in Jr.High again!

Anyway... I don't think the 14 year old in this story would have hung around that long... But gee, all the amusement park had to do was get ONE person down... She didn't have to wait for them to evacuate the whole lift! A simple boatswain's chair or net could have been set up in minutes, same amount of time it took people to gather. Heck, a park maintenance lift could have sped to the site. This is 2017 & the ride was over flat land!

Fooling around or not, they still should have a plan. "Failing to plan is planning to fail."

"... I said to one of the staffers, I said, 'You guys mean to tell me you don't have anything set up to rescue somebody in this situation?' and he then told me to leave the scene."

The person asking the staffers that is kind of right. You'd think they would have a fireman's thingy or something on hand like a JLG lift or similar... Even a simple botswain's chair on hand.

Ski areas have basic rescue devices on hand. While growing up in WNY, the chairlift @ Blumont (remember old Blumont, great place... Near Yorkshire Corners, NY) was always breaking down. At Blumont ski area, a friend of mine was rescued off the chair with a boatswain's chair. Another friend was close enough to jump onto snowcat just before the unloading ramp. I made it off lift right before the chair broke. Once the other friend made off snowcat... We skied down to stand under other friends and proceeded to throw snowballs at the girlfriend and him while they were making out... Ahhhh to be in Jr.High again!

Anyway... I don't think the 14 year old in this story would have hung around that long... But gee, all the amusement park had to do was get ONE person down... She didn't have to wait for them to evacuate the whole lift! A simple boatswain's chair or net could have been set up in minutes, same amount of time it took people to gather. Heck, a park maintenance lift could have sped to the site. This is 2017 & the ride was over flat land!

Fooling around or not, they still should have a plan. "Failing to plan is planning to fail."

if this thing truly stretches from one end of the park to the other than they would need a loft every 5 feet to make this work.

This girl was likely at fault for this and there is no way you can convince me else wise. They move slow as balls and simply put she is 14 should damn well know by now to not be an idiot.

The guy questioning why they don't have something in place - wow. What a hero. This is why NY is terrible.

Hope the guys back is OK.

ps. don't anyone bother giving me that crap of "oh you don't have children, you wouldn't get it."

Edited by Boyst62

if this thing truly stretches from one end of the park to the other than they would need a loft every 5 feet to make this work.

This girl was likely at fault for this and there is no way you can convince me else wise. They move slow as balls and simply put she is 14 should damn well know by now to not be an idiot.

The guy questioning why they don't have something in place - wow. What a hero. This is why NY is terrible.

Hope the guys back is OK.

ps. don't anyone bother giving me that crap of "oh you don't have children, you wouldn't get it."

No. I agree with you. They must have been goofing around and slipped under bar. She was being choked by it too.

Again, I agree with you. But they should have an evac plan... Or some rudimentary devices available? Not saying they would have got to her in time either.

Anyway, I wonder what Howard & Shirl think about this young Turk messing up the ride? This is an "old person ride." He's probably got stories about the sky ride @ Crystal Beach from back in the day.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Again, I agree with you. But they should have an evac plan... Or some rudimentary devices available? Not saying they would have got to her in time either.

Maybe a 12-16 foot step ladder could have been enough

No. I agree with you. They must have been goofing around and slipped under bar. She was being choked by it too.

Anyway, I wonder what Howard & Shirl think about this young Turk messing up the ride? This is an "old person ride." He's probably got stories about the sky ride @ Crystal Beach from back in the day.

they do, it is called the fire department.

If they have to have equipment for every ride for evacuation of ride it would cost $300 per person to enter the park. People have to stop being stupid.

Per haps her parents should be responsible for the guy that got injured do to their lack of parenting in the fact that their child should be better behaved.

Edited by mead107

they do, it is called the fire department.

If they have to have equipment for every ride for evacuation of ride it would cost $300 per person to enter the park. People have to stop being stupid.

Per haps her parents should be responsible for the guy that got injured do to their lack of parenting in the fact that their child should be better behaved.

Yeah... But what if she slipped under bar just by accident. Scooched up and slipped.

I know she was 14... Is she petite? I know skiing with my children when very young, like under three, I had a harness and lift handle on their back. I would boost them, grab them up by handle or when they fell, right them on thier skid... When riding, hold onto that handle while they sat for the ride.

I wonder what the story is here. Goofing around or honest slip not sitting still?

You get in the chair and sit. There is no slipping under the safty bar unless you are fooling around. If she was a child with a disability then an adult should have been with her and told he to sit still.

You get in the chair and sit. There is no slipping under the safty bar unless you are fooling around. If she was a child with a disability then an adult should have been with her and told he to sit still.

As someone who has been on this exact ride 4-5 times, I'd have to agree. You'd have to be acting like a complete wacko to end up in this situation. Never wish harm to anyone, of course, but it's too bad the park is going to take heat for this.

As someone who has been on this exact ride 4-5 times, I'd have to agree. You'd have to be acting like a complete wacko to end up in this situation. Never wish harm to anyone, of course, but it's too bad the park is going to take heat for this.

She was riding with her little brother. Who knows what crazy things happen. Maybe she slid accidently under the bar while shifting, maybe she was trying to keep her brother in line. Maybe she was just acting wacko. Who knows, things happen in the blink of an eye. If the brother is younger, he could have scooched and she readjusted.

Again, you have children, crazy things happen in a blink of an eye.

Fortunately this kid was not seriously hurt or killed just because she acted foolishly.

Sounds like a few of the big guys standing around taking videos could have helped with the catching her part. <_<

Edited by KD in CA

So it is a: PICNIC

Problem

In

Chair

Not

In

Component

?? You should work for the NAPTSB, National Amusement Park Transportation Safety Board. :D

I used to think that Toyota was to blame for their floor mats. Guess what, I still do because I drive a Toyota now. Those mats are simply not right and I have driven all kinds of vehicles in my life. Driver side is tacked down, but passenger side still not quite right. My wife has hyperactive feet, they surely move all over the place. I am a dead still when I sit, yet somehow they move for me!

Anyway, just from looking @ that skyride... Looks like an old time ride, maybe some kid finally pooched it after all these years. In the real world crazy crap happens, people move and in the blink of an eye poo happens. I have probably been on 10s or 1,000s of lifts in my life and even I had a few close calls, mainly on the safety barless ones in the Midwest, especially wearing a backpack. Obviously, by video this young girl wasn't wearing a backpack, that's a good thing I suppose but I will still give her the benny of doubt. Again, maybe she just "pooched it", it does happen and given the looks of the age of that thing (smallish with slippery plastic), maybe this was "the one time."

Somebody sounds mad that they have closed the ride to do a full investigation even know ride is cleared to operate. Planning a trip soon? :nana: Were you mad when they started to put guards on fans? Damn people, they should learn to keep their fingers away from fan blades! :nana:

I am "Archie Bunker", but man, children will be children. Cut them some slack Grandpa. Hopefully the young girl tells what truthfully happened. :flirt:

Oh... Good Morning meade... :D

Fortunately this kid was not seriously hurt or killed just because she acted foolishly.

Sounds like a few of the big guys standing around taking videos could have helped with the catching her part. <_<

Yeah, drop the damn cellies and get under. But security was telling people to back off! :wallbash::wallbash: Gee, give her a nice hard place to land! :bag:

Who was the person sitting next to her? That person did not help her when she started to slid out.

I have not been on it in 15 years.

They are keeping the ride shutdown while they do an internal investigation.

Good beautiful morning.

Who was the person sitting next to her? That person did not help her when she started to slid out.

I have not been on it in 15 years.

They are keeping the ride shutdown while they do an internal investigation.

Good beautiful morning.

Her little brother. So if she was 14, fat chance he's helping.

But, you may have indirectly made a point. Maybe ride should have adult supervision. It is a skyride with limited restraint (for effect I assume)... It is basically a chairlift.

14 & say 10 seem reasonable to ride alone though. Glad she is okay.

Very lucky girl.

Yep! I agree with you kids should sit still. I am amazed, no fireman net or something on hand with security?

They said bar was "choking" her. So, it was doing its job keeping her from falling, but not good if cut off her airway. How true that is, who knows.

Now... I know security would want the area cleared, but nothing was being set up to break the fall. You'd think more bodies under would help. I would let her crash on me, try to protect her head and neck. My brother fell off loading a tractor trailer in 2012... Broke, shattered one ankle, shattered another foot... Messed up bad for life and the fall was only 7 feet! This girl falling from 20.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois