I turned on my AC for the first time in 3 years

boyst

YEP...the breeze off of the Pacific would be better but you could still need random use of A/C.

We lived in OC for 7 years and had AC the whole time we lived there. Used it once. When we came back from vacation to a house that had been closed up for a week. Needed to cool it down so we could sleep.

try lkn

Thanks for the advice but WTF is lkn??

We lived in OC for 7 years and had AC the whole time we lived there. Used it once. When we came back from vacation to a house that had been closed up for a week. Needed to cool it down so we could sleep.

AC does not only help with cooling. I had a rental property from a couple from Texas. They loved the weather when they moved here and left windows open most of the time include two double door/windows on either end of living / dining room. At contract renewal time I inspected property and found massive mold issue with carpeting ruined and mold on some walls as well. They claimed it was there before but I showed them contract stating it was freshing painted and new carpeting was installed throughout. Showed them pictured from when they moved in. Lease renewal was denied and then they offered to fix damage and I still refused since they lied about it. They did not get security deposit back.

Alternating Current! Duh!

Incorrect. Half of group AC/DC. They split up.

Wait all winter for warm weather and turn no ac? No thanks!

People spend more time locked up inside with their ac than enjoying the nice weather. Crazy

It was 95 today and I was outside @ work all day.

I jinxed myself... Get home @ 1800 & compressor/fan wasn't running and house up to 78... Must have just crapped out. At least it wasn't raining...

It was the connection from the contactor to capacitor...fried some of the old wiring. Fortunately, I keep a few spare contactors on hand... Replaced that, fixed the fried parts of the wires, cleaned up, new connections... Was done by darkness @ 2030... The contactor I had in there since 2011.

20+ years with the Rheem unit... I know fan is on borrowed time... But they built them better back then... I oil it every few years... New fan motors are sealed bearings. I should probably keep one on hand. I keep a spare capactitor. Always match new motor with new run capacitor.

I will tack a pic, but can't compress till I get to a desktop computer.

What a waste of a night... Now I am wound and have to get up @ 04:00 for work... But probably save a few 100 if not more on a service call.

It was 95 today and I was outside @ work all day.

I jinxed myself... Get home @ 1800 & compressor/fan wasn't running and house up to 78... Must have just crapped out. At least it wasn't raining...

It was the connection from the contactor to capacitor...fried some of the old wiring. Fortunately, I keep a few spare contactors on hand... Replaced that, fixed the fried parts of the wires, cleaned up, new connections... Was done by darkness @ 2030... The contactor I had in there since 2011.

20+ years with the Rheem unit... I know fan is on borrowed time... But they built them better back then... I oil it every few years... New fan motors are sealed bearings. I should probably keep one on hand. I keep a spare capactitor. Always match new motor with new run capacitor.

I will tack a pic, but can't compress till I get to a desktop computer.

What a waste of a night... Now I am wound and have to get up @ 04:00 for work... But probably save a few 100 if not more on a service call.

My poor cat is really suffering and that makes me think AC wouldn't be so bad, lol. Poor little thing :(

My poor cat is really suffering and that makes me think AC wouldn't be so bad, lol. Poor little thing :(

Ha! Wife has three cats. I said "wife has three" of those "wee beasties"... They are heat hogs in winter... ;-)

I was working feverishly last evening to get A/C back up and running before dark. God forbid the suffering! ;-) If it wasn't for having to repair the fried parts of the old frail wiring... Would have been a fast contactor swap

Going to be a "nice" fall project to replace the wiring with new... "You don't tune up your boat in the middle of the ocean." ;-)

post-1877-0-47637100-1497372769_thumb.jpg

Contactor was 6 years old almost to date... I reworked connections with shrink tube, really tight, did that years ago... Wire old but not broken down. Capacitor in 2011 also. The source of arc was common wire from capacitor to load side.

Was cleaned in April when I opened it up... What caused it to come loose and arc... Plastic sleeves on connectors... Bugs? Corrosion and then it went. Bad contactor? It is protected from UV rays.