The best article on the internet I've ever read - helpful to

GottaRun

I first read this 4 years ago. Life was crap and I was stuck. This is the one that got me back on track. Every year I have posted it somewhere different. This year it's Two Bills Drive's turn.

A bit of self help for skeptics. Working for me, in its own weird way. Might work for you, worth a shot.

The Ultimate Cheat Sheet for Reinventing Yourself

https://techcrunch.com/2013/10/19/the-ultimate-cheat-sheet-for-reinventing-yourself/

Edited by driddles

It's a great self help article in that way. No touchy feely stuff in this one. I don't have any plans on the wealth part. But this has put me on to working with someone who is following this type of idea. They are around year 4, now an expert in the field, and they moved me into almost full time as a result.

I wasn't in this for the money, but as a soon to be 50 year old, this approach has me on to a new career doing something interesting that I didn't think I'd be doing at this point in life. A friend read it at my prompting last year and has switched up their outlook on life as well.

Straightforward and honest. I liked it.

Q: what if my friends think I'm crazy?

A: what friends?

That was great! Thanks!

Step B truly spoke to me:

B) You start from scratch.

Every label you claim you have from before is just vanity. You were a doctor? You were Ivy League? You had millions? You had a family? Nobody cares. You lost everything. You’re a zero. Don’t try to say you’re anything else.

Edited by joesixpack

That was great! Thanks!

Step B truly spoke to me:

I didn't understand it at first because I thought to myself that you need to learn from those experiences, but all it is saying is to not dwell on it. Don't brag or act like it's still important. It'll only hold you back.

I didn't understand it at first because I thought to myself that you need to learn from those experiences, but all it is saying is to not dwell on it. Don't brag or act like it's still important. It'll only hold you back.

Yep. When I first read this I was stuck in about 2 years of almost unemployment.

I had been a computer programmer for 16 years, then a post-production manager at a TV production company for 7 years. I was stuck on thinking I was still those 2 things, but I wasn't that at all. My programming languages were outdated and I had no more interest in TV. But I kept saying I was those things. Had to drop it all. Move one. This article was the one that made me realize I wasn't that anymore and no one cared about what I was anyway.

Yep. When I first read this I was stuck in about 2 years of almost unemployment.

I had been a computer programmer for 16 years, then a post-production manager at a TV production company for 7 years. I was stuck on thinking I was still those 2 things, but I wasn't that at all. My programming languages were outdated and I had no more interest in TV. But I kept saying I was those things. Had to drop it all. Move one. This article was the one that made me realize I wasn't that anymore and no one cared about what I was anyway.

Are you James Altucher?

Funny and apropop. For about 4 years, I was the post supervisor at a production company. As we got bigger and the job turned mostly managerial, I really wanted back into the creative side, so asked the owner for a 'demotion' to Sr. online ed./colorist (really why I took the job in the first place. ) Had been doing that for about 8 years until a hand injury took me out of the game for the past year+ ... I'm healed, but am contemplating a complete 984° career overhaul. Fun reading.