"Keep it Simple" new rallying cry for 2017 defense

Unfortunately that reminds me of what Jauron said when he fired the OC and promoted Alex Van Pelt to OC. simple isn't good.

I'd argue that Jauron was a better coach than Rex Ryan and got more out of his talent. Those Jauron teams were so untalented. The last 2 years were really frustrating because we had talent. But Rex would run these insane blitzes that would take forever to get there and good qbs would just laugh at them.

When you have a good d line, especially like we used to, let them do work. Making defensive players think too much takes away from their aggressiveness. Rex thought he was some defensive genius when he was just a clown.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd argue that Jauron was a better coach than Rex Ryan and got more out of his talent. Those Jauron teams were so untalented. The last 2 years were really frustrating because we had talent. But Rex would run these insane blitzes that would take forever to get there and good qbs would just laugh at them.

When you have a good d line, especially like we used to, let them do work. Making defensive players think too much takes away from their aggressiveness. Rex thought he was some defensive genius when he was just a clown.

I just think Rex could not get buy in from his players.

It is interesting that the guy that probably played the best was meatball.....who is totally a team guy and do whatever he was asked

I just think Rex could not get buy in from his players.

It is interesting that the guy that probably played the best was meatball.....who is totally a team guy and do whatever he was asked

The players liked him because he was fun and never held them accountable. I know everyone hates him but Mario was right the entire time. Rex's defense oversimplified everything while the Bills were very successful by having the d line just do work and not try to trick people.

Dick Jauron would have been a better coach than Rex with our talent the last 2 years.

The players liked him because he was fun and never held them accountable. I know everyone hates him but Mario was right the entire time. Rex's defense oversimplified everything while the Bills were very successful by having the d line just do work and not try to trick people.

Dick Jauron would have been a better coach than Rex with our talent the last 2 years.

i also remember a few national reporters who visited TC and said the Bills practices were noticeably less intense and organized than other teams. I saw something this week that Beane said McD had watched film of last years practices and was disappointed about how lax they were. Plans to change that immediately.

C. How do you explain Mario moving onto Miami and falling off the face of the earth? I thought he moved to a defense "that used him correctly"

Just long in the tooth at that point?

i also remember a few national reporters who visited TC and said the Bills practices were noticeably less intense and organized than other teams. I saw something this week that Beane said McD had watched film of last years practices and was disappointed about how lax they were. Plans to change that immediately.

I have major questions of how much power TBG was given as a first time coach. But I have no doubts it will be an improved defense. I also think TBG will hold players accountable when they commit stupid penalties (I see you Jerry).

C. How do you explain Mario moving onto Miami and falling off the face of the earth? I thought he moved to a defense "that used him correctly"

Just long in the tooth at that point?

He may have been more washed up than I thought. But his point about the defense was true and many other players expressed it as well.

You don't have to trick teams when you have a lot of talent like we used to. Our talent on defense has gone down but Rex being gone should help us improve.

Word was Rex's system was very complex. Throw in his idiot brother Rob adding to the confusion and you probably do have a bunch of lost players. The 4-3 is a natural fit for most of the players on this defense. It will allow people to what comes naturally and what they do best. In turn the transition is simple for most of them. This defense best serves all of the pieces we have on the front four and most of the front 7. Kyle, Dareus, Hughes, Lawson, Washington, Alexander with his hand in the dirt on passing downs, Preston Brown, most of these guys fit better in the 4-3. I expect at least a top 10 unit this year, if not top 5 again.

This in a nutshell. The personnel was built for a 4-3 defense and Rex decided that what him and his brother wanted was more important then what they players were more comfortable with and that's why they bills defense failed. There were times they played with 9 players on the field and a lot of times 10 or 11. Shaq Lawson played de at Clemson and Rex draft him to make him a olb. Rex forced his scheme and it didn't fit. Period.

Yeah when I think "Simplified" I think Schwartz like not "just line up the DL and let them win every battle simple

The Panther's defenses have been good....and recently good

It worked for Schwartz because we had a great front four.

His scheme - as he ran it there - wouldn't work everywhere as you probably know.

It worked for Schwartz because we had a great front four.

His scheme - as he ran it there - wouldn't work everywhere as you probably know.

Philly improved from 30th to 13th in Schwartz first season. Not a great head coach but he is an awesome D.C.

Yeah when I think "Simplified" I think Schwartz like not "just line up the DL and let them win every battle simple

The Panther's defenses have been good....and recently good

..."keep it simple" is the same as "return to glory" pre-Wrecks....we were top 5 or so before Blowhard Buddy II dismantling.....two freaking years out the window.....

Philly improved from 30th to 13th in Schwartz first season. Not a great head coach but he is an awesome D.C.

With an elite interior rusher and good ends his scheme is elite.

See haynesworth drastically changing his ranks in Tennessee and then him going suh, dareus and cox

Rex didn't understand that if you can just beat them (as Schwartz demonstrated was possible), you don't NEED to trick them!!! Instead, Rex tricked US!

Rex thought that a defense should be able to run any play or coverage to confuse an offense. The problem is that they ran so much different **** that the defense never became good at doing anything.

Rex thought that a defense should be able to run any play or coverage to confuse an offense. The problem is that they ran so much different **** that the defense never became good at doing anything.

...therein lies the FIRST problem......

Ryan's 'exotic' looks, continually put someone in a position to fail. The better QBs took enough time to see who that was, and let them do so.

Schwartz used the front four to stunt quite a bit, while occasionally throwing in a corner/safety/lb blitz in the mix. The main point being that the front four were pretty much always putting pressure on, and not being sent into stupid coverages, just to try and do something different.

Ryan's 'exotic' looks, continually put someone in a position to fail. The better QBs took enough time to see who that was, and let them do so.

Schwartz used the front four to stunt quite a bit, while occasionally throwing in a corner/safety/lb blitz in the mix. The main point being that the front four were pretty much always putting pressure on, and not being sent into stupid coverages, just to try and do something different.

When we make failure easy and success difficult, people often fail.

Coaches/leaders need to make failure difficult and success easy.

Poor DJ was doomed. He had such a poor roster to work with and never did find the OC he needed.

I agree. He did more with the talent he had than Rex did.

Despite getting told constantly how overrated that defense was throughout the Rex years....

Things wash out in the end

Schwartz was good.....I always thought he was good actually....where I was wrong was thinking that a "defensive guru" could make the necessary adjustments to a defense to match the personnel

That was my bad.....in the end RR is not a defensive guru......he is a slick salesmen who now seems as but hurt against us as he was against the jets as per his comments on his way out.