PFF:Taylor undervalued QB.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2017/5/19/15657930/tyrod-taylor-buffalo-bills-pro-football-focus-qb-rating-sammy-watkins

"That explanation, and therefore the PFF QB Rating itself, is much more sensible than the “normal” QB Rating in which a perfectly thrown dropped pass counts the same as a throw air-mailed over a receiver’s head. The inclusion of air yards is vital as well. A two-yard pass with 50 yards after the catch that ends with touchdown shouldn’t count the same for the quarterback as a perfectly placed, 52-yard rocket into the end zone for a score."

What is TT strength in the passing game-his deep ball.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't buy the methodology I am afraid. Why shouldn't a Quarterback who throws a perfect 2 or 3 or 4 yard pass to a guy who can catch it in running without breaking stride and take advantage of a hole in the defence to go the distance get credit for that. Brady and Matt Ryan in particular do that an awful lot and it is the absolute perfect placement on those shallow crossers etc that often creates the YAC.

I don't buy the methodology I am afraid. Why shouldn't a Quarterback who throws a perfect 2 or 3 or 4 yard pass to a guy who can catch it in running without breaking stride and take advantage of a hole in the defence to go the distance get credit for that. Brady and Matt Ryan in particular do that an awful lot and it is the absolute perfect placement on those shallow crossers etc that often creates the YAC.

They have receivers who excel at turning those passes into yards. We didn't, and still don't.

So TT gets no credit for perfectly placed deep throws, but a dump off that goes for a lot of yards should be counted the same. Disagree.

Reminds me of a couple years ago when Aaron Rodgers went 24/35 for 333 yards and 5 TDs, no INTs. PFF graded him a -0.8 because 3 of his TDs were thrown on quick outs to Cobb and then Cobb ran the TDs in, so they didn't count towards the QB grade. Oh, and they counted a fumble on a play that got called back due to a defensive penalty against his grade too. :lol:

Box Score

PFF 'Justification'

...pretty interesting.....don't think EJ or TT started off in the greatest working environments (exclude injuries as they're part of game for all teams)......no need to rehash.......despite numerous chances, EJ unfortunately showed he didn't have "it".....on the other hand, TT has shown promise in spite of all the crap (Wrecks, Roman firing, Lynn trying to do his best)....if Dennison can design an offense to break his tendencies of one read and taking off, better WCO type options, utilizing the back field more (NE's Faulk used to kill us), this kid could yet develop into a solid starter.....worry about the "franchise QB" moniker later and the 1,284 purported definitions of exactly what the hell that means anyway.............

New England and Atlanta had the highest Yards Per Catch per pass in the league and met in the Superbowl. Tyrod was bottom 2 in the NFL.

"Back in 2015, Tyrod targeted Watkins 91 times overall." Have to have your best receivers on the field. TT did not have that in 2016 most of the time. NE and Atlanta's WR corp is much better overall than Buffalos. And they have a HOF and an elite QB on their rosters. TT was never expected to be that. Why don't you go out and get us one?

...pretty interesting.....don't think EJ or TT started off in the greatest working environments (exclude injuries as they're part of game for all teams)......no need to rehash.......despite numerous chances, EJ unfortunately showed he didn't have "it".....on the other hand, TT has shown promise in spite of all the crap (Wrecks, Roman firing, Lynn trying to do his best)....if Dennison can design an offense to break his tendencies of one read and taking off, better WCO type options, utilizing the back field more (NE's Faulk used to kill us), this kid could yet develop into a solid starter.....worry about the "franchise QB" moniker later and the 1,284 purported definitions of exactly what the hell that means anyway.............

Wow. I actually like this post.

"Back in 2015, Tyrod targeted Watkins 91 times overall." Have to have your best receivers on the field. TT did not have that in 2016 most of the time. NE and Atlanta's WR corp is much better overall than Buffalos. And they have a HOF and an elite QB on their rosters. TT was never expected to be that. Why don't you go out and get us one?

Tyrod doesn't throw with anticipation which is why he is bottom of the barrel in the NFL in that key stat.

Tyrod doesn't throw with anticipation which is why he is bottom of the barrel in the NFL in that key stat.

Something he can work on. Always nice of you to ignore all the good things he does. There was no better option in 2017. He is far from terrible.

100%. It is nonsense to say that they should be equal. These are skills and the further you have to throw it downfield the more difficult it is to do.

Exactly.

Somebody finally said it. TT could have a really big year like 4000 yards passing and 600-700 yards rushing in this system with Watkins playing. Unfortunately some on here would still B word that he sucks.

So you're saying he's not as good as Brady or Matty Ice?

Not so far! :D

Wow. I actually like this post.

....something is definitely wrong.....me and my posts always nauseate you......what the hell happened?...should I call 911?................

Hey man, you've been on a roll :thumbsup:

..I MOST sincerely apologize.....been having "revisionist history nightmares".....they've been about where we would be now with Mahomes at the helm with TT and Peterman gone....seems another poster has infiltrated my gray matter.....anti-virus brain software failed...... :thumbsup: