Travis Brown Angry

millbank

Here's my theory:  after watching Shane Mathews perform more than adequately against Detroit, the Bills were ready to cut Brown outright - but Bledsoe convinced TD to put Brown on IR because Bledsoe "likes having him around."

19479[/snapback]

Except that being put on IR means Brown can't "be around." Also they couldn't have cut him outright, since he was injured. They would have have to give him an injury settlement, which is what I think they should have done, and THEN cut him.

Except that being put on IR means Brown can't "be around."  Also they couldn't have cut him outright, since he was injured.  They would have have to give him an injury settlement, which is what I think they should have done, and THEN cut him.

19483[/snapback]

If Drew likes having him around, then why don't they just hire him as an assistant to the QB coach after they do the injury settlement thing?

If Drew likes having him around, then why don't they just hire him as an assistant to the QB coach after they do the injury settlement thing?

19487[/snapback]

Better yet, instead of the Bills fronting his salary,

let Drew pay him,

DB certainly has the $$$ to do so..

TB could be Drew's "gopher". :w00t:

You know, when I was waiting for the Bills to announce their cuts, I almost posted a semi-fascetious topic called "what happens if a player refuses to take an injury settlement?"

Does anyone know whata typical injury settlement looks like? Who knows... maybe they offered him a last minute injury settlement and were forced to IR him when he did not immediately accept....

I really thought they'd settle, cut him, then resign him when he was healthy again.

•Buffalo released LB Jason Gildon and placed quarterback Travis Brown on injured reserve. Brown also sat out the entire 2003 season with an injury. Gildon, who holds the Pittsburgh Steelers' record with 77 sacks, was cut six weeks after the Bills signed the 10-year veteran in hopes of bolstering their pass rush.

Brown was angry about being deactivated for the season. Earlier, the Bills announced Brown was expected to miss four to six weeks. Team president Tom Donahoe said Aug. 30 that Brown's return could even come sooner, adding that the team was going to keep him on the active roster.

"When you tell me something and you repeatedly tell me something, and then totally come out of left field with something else, I just don't think that's the way you should do business," Brown said

Brown Angry

Scroll down for Brown comments

More

19330[/snapback]

Tough. Hey Brown... :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:

You know, when I was waiting for the Bills to announce their cuts, I almost posted a semi-fascetious topic called "what happens if a player refuses to take an injury settlement?"

Does anyone know whata typical injury settlement looks like?  Who knows... maybe they offered him a last minute injury settlement and were forced to IR him when he did not immediately accept....

I really thought they'd settle, cut him, then resign him when he was healthy again.

19496[/snapback]

Here is a article that explains the formula they use to pay a player on the injured list

its says they do not pay entire salary but percentage based on years service a rookie for instance getting about half of salary . In Travis Brown case he signed a one year contract for $380,000 and by formula it looks like he would be paid about $200,000

article here. Injured salary

Here is a article that explains the formula they use to pay a player on the injured list

its says they do not pay entire salary but percentage based on years service a rookie for instance getting about half of salary . In Travis Brown case he signed a one year contract for  $380,000 and by formula it looks like he would be paid about  $200,000

article here. Injured salary

19508[/snapback]

Hey, thanks! Good stuff there!

Brown was angry about being deactivated for the season. Earlier, the Bills announced Brown was expected to miss four to six weeks. Team president Tom Donahoe said Aug. 30 that Brown's return could even come sooner, adding that the team was going to keep him on the active roster.

"When you tell me something and you repeatedly tell me something, and then totally come out of left field with something else, I just don't think that's the way you should do business," Brown said.

This sounds more than a little similar to Larry Centers' comments last year after being released by Buffalo. He claimed Donahoe told him that he would not be cut.

Hmm... :(

This sounds more than a little similar to Larry Centers' comments last year after being released by Buffalo.  He claimed Donahoe told him that he would not be cut.

19515[/snapback]

On the contrary. It was my understanding that Centers took his cue from public comments by GW that Centers would remain a Bill as long as he wanted to rather than anything TD said to him. I'd be interested if you have a link to this quote or some site as to who quoted him as saying he got the word from TD he was staying around.

My sense has been (perhaps mistakenly) that the whole sordid episode of Centers being cut was actually TD viewing GW as overstepping his bounds as HC and making a pronouncement of what the GM would do. At least part of this was TD slapping GW's hand for overstepping his authority.

On the contrary.  It was my understanding that Centers took his cue from public comments by GW that Centers would remain a Bill as long as he wanted to rather than anything TD said to him.  I'd be interested if you have a link to this quote or some site as to who quoted him as saying he got the word from TD he was staying around.

My sense has been (perhaps mistakenly) that the whole sordid episode of Centers being cut was actually TD viewing GW as overstepping his bounds as HC and making a pronouncement of what the GM would do.  At least part of this was TD slapping GW's hand for overstepping his authority.

19535[/snapback]

Ultimately, none of this will matter in another week, because Brown was marginal, at best. Bledsoe may not like it, but criticize Drew all you want, he has never done anything in New England or Buffalo, that I recall, suggesting that he was a demanding, "me first" guy. I don't think you'll here any whining from him, just some nice words about Brown, and how we all know that this is a business.

Bigger picture though, my biggest concern about this move is that TD could very well start earning himself (and the Bills organization) a reputation as being people better not dealt with. There have been a few ex-Bills in TD's time who felt they were lied to, or bs'd by TD. Ultimately, all went on to other teams, and did nothing. I know most hate Rob Johnson, and we are all better off with him long gone, but at the time he left there were some very hard feelings. Please, I am not defending Johnson's play in any way, but remember, at the time, TD wanted to resign him to be our starter in 2002. But TD spoke out of both sides of his mouth about Johnson, and put him in the worst possible light. His release of some other guys, though less public, seemed to not go down all that well either.

I can't say I totally blame Brown for being a little pissed. I suspect when he made the comments he was a little shocked, and cooler heads will prevail. He would likely jump at the chance to move on, if it is there. Personally, I don't see that happening. He may very well end up playing for the Bills again. Either way, other than his possible sideline prescence, I don't think losing him right now hurts us any at the QB position. Matthews is at least as good, if not better than Brown. I liked Browns firey prescence on the field, but his production was nothing to get excited about.

Ultimately, none of this will matter in another week, because Brown was marginal, at best.  Bledsoe may not like it, but criticize Drew all you want, he has never done anything in New England or Buffalo, that I recall, suggesting that he was a demanding, "me first" guy.  I don't think you'll here any whining from him, just some nice words about Brown, and how we all know that this is a business. 

Bigger picture though, my biggest concern about this move is that TD could very well start earning himself (and the Bills organization) a reputation as being people better not dealt with.  There have been a few ex-Bills in TD's time who felt they were lied to, or bs'd by TD.  Ultimately, all went on to other teams, and did nothing.  I know most hate Rob Johnson, and we are all better off with him long gone, but at the time he left there were some very hard feelings.  Please, I am not defending Johnson's play in any way, but remember, at the time, TD wanted to resign him to be our starter in 2002.  But TD spoke out of both sides of his mouth about Johnson, and put him in the worst possible light.  His release of some other guys, though less public, seemed to not go down all that well either. 

I can't say I totally blame Brown for being a little pissed.  I suspect when he made the comments he was a little shocked, and cooler heads will prevail.  He would likely jump at the chance to move on, if it is there.  Personally, I don't see that happening.  He may very well end up playing for the Bills again.  Either way, other than his possible sideline prescence, I don't think losing him right now hurts us any at the QB position.  Matthews is at least as good, if not better than Brown.  I liked Browns firey prescence on the field, but his production was nothing to get excited about.

19559[/snapback]

It will be interesting to see if and how Mr. Donahoe addresses this in the coming days, he is going to need do some fence mending. He has largely been a man to be respected in his time here but it is true a number of players have left the team in less than desirable way , if the trust factor is not there it will be very difficult to impress free agents to make Buffalo a place to come.and just cant go over well with the current players.

It will be interesting to see if and how Mr. Donahoe addresses this in the coming days, he is going to need do some fence mending.  He has largely been a man to be respected in his time here but it is true a number of players have left the team in less than desirable way , if the trust factor is not there it will be very difficult to impress free agents to make Buffalo a place to come.and just cant go over well with the current players.

19627[/snapback]

This is a perfectly sensible concern in the abstract, but I have to ask: has anyone seen any evidence up to now that TD has had any trouble signing FAs he wanted to sign? I can think of no concrete examples of anyone getting away. Not to say that TD should not try to have good relations with players, but I would not get too worked up over a theoretical concern. Players, coaches, and agents generally know the score, and I would not think that TD's treatment of players is outside of the norm for current NFL executives.

On another note, has anyone here commented on the fact that Drew Henson is #3 on the Cowgirls depth chart? He could not beat out a senior citizen and a nobody, even after Carter was cut. I guess we can get over that one...

Go Bills!

This is a perfectly sensible concern in the abstract, but I have to ask: has anyone seen any evidence up to now that TD has had any trouble signing FAs he wanted to sign? I can think of no concrete examples of anyone getting away. Not to say that TD should not try to have good relations with players, but I would not get too worked up over a theoretical concern. Players, coaches, and agents generally know the score, and I would not think that TD's treatment of players is outside of the norm for current NFL executives.

On another note, has anyone here commented on the fact that Drew Henson is #3 on the Cowgirls depth chart? He could not beat out a senior citizen and a nobody, even after Carter was cut. I guess we can get over that one...

Go Bills!

19632[/snapback]

Yes absolutely Bills have had some very nice free agent signings during Mr.Donahoe's tenure, but one has to wonder what ones have been lost and will be lost if there is not a bases of trust between player , agent and him. Stating the obvious if the team dynamic is also one of mistrust of management hardly can that be a ingredient for success with everyone on the same page Things change hopefully Mr. Donahoe can address this issue where this was a unfortunate circumstance as opposed to a lie, as alluded previously the very least there was a lack of communication with Travis Brown hopefully that will change.. The How Bills do things matters... to me anyway

This sounds more than a little similar to Larry Centers' comments last year after being released by Buffalo.  He claimed Donahoe told him that he would not be cut.

19515[/snapback]

Ty Law said the Immortal BB lied to him. I guess that's different... :(

The point is ...who cares ?

It will be interesting to see if and how Mr. Donahoe addresses this in the coming days, he is going to need do some fence mending.  He has largely been a man to be respected in his time here but it is true a number of players have left the team in less than desirable way , if the trust factor is not there it will be very difficult to impress free agents to make Buffalo a place to come.and just cant go over well with the current players.

19627[/snapback]

this is a non-issue.

it happens to every team every year. read your local paper or even the USA today on Tuesday for examples.

a 3rd string cfl qb complains about stealing a years salary. :(

i highly doubt players and agents will bring up the mistreatment ofTravis Brown during future negotiations.

this is a non-issue.

it happens to every team every year. read your local paper or even the USA today on Tuesday for examples.

a 3rd string cfl qb complains about stealing a years salary. :( 

i highly doubt players and agents will bring up the mistreatment ofTravis Brown  during future negotiations.

19680[/snapback]

Travis has not had a years salary taken from him, contracts have a formula by which a player placed on injured /reserved get a percentage of there contract based on years service. In Travis case his contract was $380,ooo which was to be paid in 17 segments. Contracts are signed with a two-tier feature to protect teams and injured players.

Being put on injured reserve he will be paid somewhere around $$200,000.

Peoples character is most noted on how they treat the perceived small not how they treat those they fear or consider important, make no mistake that organizations who have straight forward relationship even if the truth hurts largely speaking are going to be more successful. I would like to give Mr. Donahoe a chance to respond before

hanging him on this mistakes and things happen. Players being cut does happen every day, but players being cut or put of reserve as in Travis's case after him being told he is on the roster does not happen every day. The very least he could and should have been told before the media and announcement of cuts was made. From outside it seems like a simple matter that was not taken care of and if ones does not take care of the small what large things are not taken care of.

I hope Mr. Donahoe has an answer or apology for Travis. Because Travis is perceived by some as not important does not mean he should not be delt with in a straight forward manner

Travis has not had a years salary taken from him, contracts have a formula by which a player placed on injured /reserved get a percentage of there contract based on years service.  In Travis case his contract was $380,ooo which was to be paid in 17 segments. Contracts are signed with a two-tier feature to protect teams and injured players.

Being put on injured reserve he will be paid somewhere around $$200,000.

Peoples character is most noted on how they treat the perceived small not how they treat those they fear or consider important, make no mistake that organizations who have straight forward relationship even if the truth hurts largely speaking are going to be more successful.  I would like to give Mr. Donahoe a chance to respond before

hanging him on this mistakes and things happen. Players being cut does happen every day, but players being cut or put of reserve as in Travis's case after him being told he is on the roster does not happen every day.  The very least he could and should have been told before the media and announcement of cuts was made.  From outside it seems like a simple matter that was not taken care of and if ones does not take care of the small what large things are not taken care of.

I hope Mr. Donahoe has an answer or apology for Travis.  Because Travis is perceived by some as not important does not mean he should not be delt with in a straight forward manner

19703[/snapback]

Good post. And I agree with most of it. TD should have called Travis in on Sunday afternoon and explained the situation. But perhaps TB wasn't around sunday afternoon thinking he had made the team.

My impression of the situation is that the Bills braintrust fully intended on keeping 4 QBs as they stated. Then Matthews played better than they thought. Then they learned Milloy was out a couple weeks and they would HAVE to keep 10 DBs instead of 9 because there was no way to leave just Wire, Reese and a rookie UFA as safeties in weeks 1-2. THEN they got in their meetings after watching the tape and meticulously going over all the cuts. Then realizing there are too many guys here we still need and want. Then decided to change course and go the best way for the team and for TB: R/I him. If he wants a settlement he can get it. If he wants to go to another team after 4 weeks he can. If he wants to come back to the Bills after 10 weeks and we still want him he can.

Good post. And I agree with most of it. TD should have called Travis in on Sunday afternoon and explained the situation. But perhaps TB wasn't around sunday afternoon thinking he had made the team.

My impression of the situation is that the Bills braintrust fully intended on keeping 4 QBs as they stated. Then Matthews played better than they thought. Then they learned Milloy was out a couple weeks and they would HAVE to keep 10 DBs instead of 9 because there was no way to leave just Wire, Reese and a rookie UFA as safeties in weeks 1-2. THEN they got in their meetings after watching the tape and meticulously going over all the cuts. Then realizing there are too many guys here we still need and want. Then decided to change course and go the best way for the team and for TB: R/I him. If he wants a settlement he can get it. If he wants to go to another team after 4 weeks he can. If he wants to come back to the Bills after 10 weeks and we still want him he can.

19707[/snapback]

This is EXACTLY what I would have posted had you not.

I am sure this decision came down to the last minute. It would have been nice to get a hold of Travis first, and yes, I think he would have deserved to be contacted first before finding it out through the media (even if he has been a somewhat unremarkable player so far). He has worked his ass off for the team regardless of how little success he has had. But there probably wasn't time for that. And I also agree with the post earlier that said he was no doubt caught by a reporter who got an earful of his gut right after he heard the news.

I'm sure the Bills will explain the situation to him, and Travis can decide if he wants a settlement so he can try to pusrue other teams. Or he can keep working out and try to get back with the Bills in week 10. I'm not sure his prospects for other teams is that great at this point in the season and given his lack of on field experience.