One NFL team called Browns to trade for #1 to draft a QB.

PIZ

Little birdie told me that not one, but two teams have called the Browns about trading up to 1 for a QB. No word on seriousness of conversations, but I do know that neither was the Bills. The Bills and Browns have talked, but the Browns initiated the conversation. Most likely that was about 12 to 10, but that's speculation as I didn't get info on content of that conversation. That's all I know.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If Trubisky is there at 10 do the Bills trade down to 12 for the Browns to draft him ?

I would do it for a extra 2nd rd pick.

If Trubisky is gone before 10 , I would try to trade down also.

This will be a very interesting draft to say the least.

You'd expect that. Testing the waters is pretty reasonable. Could be the Bills or not. Could really be any of a dozen teams.

To be fair, no one has actually done it. It'd take a huge deal to get Cleveland off of Garrett so I don't see it happening.

I'm not sure of that. IMHO Cleveland might easily be willing to trade down to accumulate more picks. They'd want decent value, of course, but a huge deal? They might easily be willing to set up a conveyor belt of picks to assure their draft harvest lasts for years.

I don't think it's so obvious that it would take a huge deal, though I'd agree they aren't going to do it without getting decent value. Why would they?

My guess is that you're right, though, and this doesn't happen.

Edited by Thurman#1

After watching Sammy play on his broken foot last year, i will never question his heart...however, to me, the Falcons getting Julio made more sense than the Bills getting Sammy...they had the franchise QB and Julio was the final piece...

They thought Julio was the final piece. Turned out he wasn't. In fact, just when those picks they traded away would have been filling holes in Atlanta's lineup and making a difference, nobody was stepping in and the Falcons had three seasons in a row when they won four, six and then eight games. A lot of that can probably be laid at the foot of that trade.

Winning a Super Bowl answers all questions. But they didn't win. That trade for Julio Jones is still very questionable. Terrific player but was he worth having those three awful seasons for? I don't think so.

...Grandma always said, "no guts no glory, no bawls no blue chips sonny".....she was ALWAYS right.....Whaley moved up to grab Sammy and the grade to date is INCOMPLETE because of unfortunate injuries....look at the bold move Dimitrif made to get Julio, a boatload....and the pundits then were WTF?....it paid off......you just never know.....sure as hell cannot question Sammy's head or heart.....

The grade for the Sammy pick itself, using the #4 pick to draft Sammy ... yeah, maybe that's an incomplete.

But the grade for the tradeup is in, and it's awful.

And while your grandma's philosophy would be right in a lot of situations, it also has caused magnificent flameouts and bridge burnings. Making a horrible decision isn't OK because it took balls. Gutsy stupidity is still stupidity and conservative good decisions are still good decisions.

Edited by Thurman#1

Yup.

Possibly not QB of choice but certainly the top 1 or 2 QB's on their board.

I honestly don't think there will be any trades in the first 12.

I suppose it's possible, but historically unlikely. Somebody usually wants something. Here are the results of the last ten years of trades in the top 12:

2016: three trades

2015: zero trades

2014: three trades

2013: two trades

2012: five trades

2011: two trades

2010: two trades

2009: one trade

2008: three trades

2007: one trade

The Browns might get one of their top two QBs at #12. But they also might not.

To me the EJ pick was a reach because the Bills backed themselves into a corner and forced their own hand to reach on a QB. Now, some will say EJ wasn't Whaley's pick because Nix was technically GM at the time of the pick. However, the draft board was set by Whaley, therefore making it seem ok to draft EJ in the 1st round. Furthermore, the "Whaley wasn't GM" point becomes moot when Whaley doubles down on EJ the following year. At any point after Nix left, Whaley could have said that EJ wasn't his choice to save his own butt. But he didn't. In fact, he went to great lengths to, metaphorically, adopt EJ, as if he were his own by building the team around him.

This one action, combined with the sale of the team to new ownership on the horizon caused a chain reaction that sent Whaley to reach on the Sammy pick the following year imo. Now, just to explain, I think everyone would agree that Sammy was top 5 talent. However, to me, where the "reach" comes in was when Whaley included extra 1st and 4th rounders to move up 5 spots in the greatest WR class in history. It seemed he overspent when he didn't have to. I feel that his poor decision was founded in two flawed ideas: The first being that EJ was a franchise QB after an average-at-best showing his first season. The second being mortgaging the future for potentially, his last shot to make the playoffs for new ownership.

Again, i want to reiterate, i have not heard this anywhere being reported, but just a perception of the situation that i have had, along with some other fans. And while this may be speculation, it is hard to deny that the Bills poor results in recent years could be traced back to these decisions.

Setting up the draft board isn't pulling the trigger. Whaley set up the draft board the last two years under Nix. That doesn't mean they didn't change things around to suit the GM's preferences. It doesn't mean if Nix said of the final board, "switch five and six" that they didn't do it. Setting up the draft board is essentially a process. And they wanted Whaley to learn the process. That did not mean he was the decision maker for that year. He wasn't. Nix was.

But yeah, Whaley was all in on Manuel, and we know that not because of what he did during the pre-draft process but by what he's said since then. He's had a million chances to back away from responsibility for that pick and he never has. Just the opposite, he supported it for years, even after Nix left when he really had his chance. He may not have pulled the trigger, but he was in on Manuel. But he's never said anything like that for the rest of the picks that year or the year before.

@jasoncoleBR

For those #Bills fans who were wondering, I've heard they have checked on both moving up and down from No. 10. Due diligence

Gather intelligence. Nothing wrong with that as it helps you know what is going to happen and trade opportunities available.