Whaley = Donahoe

Who said I don't want a good defense? We are talking the difference between very good and elite defenses.

No like I said.....that's just an imaginary box you've drawn around them.

SF defense was awesome.............got them to 3 straight title games and a SB........they were the best team in football during that span.......just not as lucky with the draw as Denver was two years ago.

And the thing about defenses.......they are MUCH EASIER to build than offenses.......it's not uncommon to go from having a bad defense to a very highly ranked one from one year to the next with a coaching change and a few free agents.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whaley is fine. Judge him against the rest of the league. His failure is not securing a franchise qb, if you are going to judge him only on that he has good company.

The guy goes out finds talent that the coaches ask for and he works the free agent system well. The sammie trade hasn't worked out yet, so he has to own that. I still don't hate the idea.

....and Goose, a stat rat poster at BBMB did just that....a comparative analysis versus Colbert, Thompson & Ireland.....key points were draftees starting and draftees retained.....Whaley measured up....Sammy?....dammit Whaley, shoulda know the guy would get dinged.....so why did Pegula keep 'em?....Grigson, Balke & McCloughan are all looking for work...the KC personnel guy was there for the taking.......Pioli, the former Pats GM who moved to KC and got canned is now an assistant to Dimitrof (another former Pats guy) in HotLanta.....think he would jump a another shot to be the Big Dawg?......DonoHOLE, a/k/a El Presidente was an egotistical disaster that set this club back a decade+.....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

Me too! It just blows my mind that people who just want to hate on something can't even get credit for Whaley building a really good defense that year. We beat Rodgers without scoring an offensive td!

Why do you credit Whaley with building that defense? The large majority of that defense was already in place when Whaley took over as GM.

Edited by Scott7975

Whaley's tenure has been constricted by a stupid football coach that by all accounts, he did not hire.

Let's see what he does with a new coach.

I believe that he is a much better GM than the ole Losman grabber.

If he can find the right QB, watch out!

It's not "by all accounts." That's one version of events. About all we really know is who was there and that everyone seemed to feel positively. We don't know who pulled the trigger and we don't know that if Whaley had tried, he couldn't have stopped it.

It's a pretty good bet that if Whaley had said, "Look, I can't work with this guy," they'd have listened, especially so early in their tenure.

I blame him a lot for Rex and a ton for his unimpressive drafts. Solid to decent work with FAs doesn't make up for his drafts, IMHO.

No like I said.....that's just an imaginary box you've drawn around them.

SF defense was awesome.............got them to 3 straight title games and a SB........they were the best team in football during that span.......just not as lucky with the draw as Denver was two years ago.

And the thing about defenses.......they are MUCH EASIER to build than offenses.......it's not uncommon to go from having a bad defense to a very highly ranked one from one year to the next with a coaching change and a few free agents.

You'd have to show some data to prove that building a defense is all that much easier. I don't believe it till I see data supporting it. If it were so easy, everyone would do it.

Defenses and offenses both go up and down quite a bit with a coaching change and a few free agents very often. I don't think there's any evidence one is easier than the other. It generally amounts to how much draft capital, financial capital and organizational emphasis you put on each side of the ball.