Marshall Faulk traded to Rams for 2nd & 5th.

PIZ

Trading McCoy to pick McCaffrey is like picking Spiller then trading Lynch.

Considering that Lynch's last two years here, in 2009 and 2010, he averaged 3.8 and 3.6 yard per carry, and that once he was able to start the year in Seattle he suddenly leapt up to 4.2, it's not like that at all.

Lynch has always run from the heart and his heart simply wasn't in Buffalo anymore. We didn't really have a choice at that point.

This won't happen, but considering his age and the wear on him, McCoy isn't likely to last much longer at this level. He's been terrific for us, but that isn't likely to last much longer

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hear you about longevity at the rb position, but i also bet you that the longevity at the cb position is no greater. Lose a step and you start getting toasted regularly. Bailey was a real anomaly - if memory serves, he never made the shift to safety at all. That was impossible to predict in 04, when that trad went down. Portis did average 1100 yards per season over a 9 year career, and in a couple of those seasons he missed a lot of games because of injury.

Portis and Edge had about as many good seasons COMBINED as Bailey did.

I remember being THRILLED that the Colts traded Faulk and then used their pick on James.

I was as delighted as a starving man watching the two delicious birds kill themselves with the same stone.

The Patriots messed up a lot of peoples best laid plans in the coming years............but back then the fear as a rational Bills fan was that the Colts were going to build an early 90's Bills-esque AFC dynasty and go to the SB every year.......right within our division....... by sheer force of acquired talent.

James for Faulk was like giving away the equivalent of the first pick in the typical draft when a guy like Bailey was in it. I was all Bailey all-the-time on here that draft year.

IMO, there isn't a comparably separated player to the pack this year........there is nobody I feel is the kind of player I felt Bailey was then.

Portis and Edge had about as many good seasons COMBINED as Bailey did.

I remember being THRILLED that the Colts traded Faulk and then used their pick on James.

I was as delighted as a starving man watching the two delicious birds kill themselves with the same stone.

The Patriots messed up a lot of peoples best laid plans in the coming years............but back then the fear as a rational Bills fan was that the Colts were going to build an early 90's Bills-esque AFC dynasty and go to the SB every year.......right within our division....... by sheer force of acquired talent.

James for Faulk was like giving away the equivalent of the first pick in the typical draft when a guy like Bailey was in it. I was all Bailey all-the-time on here that draft year.

IMO, there isn't a comparably separated player to the pack this year........there is nobody I feel is the kind of player I felt Bailey was then.

I take your point, but you can't predict a cb lasting that long. Few do. Chris McAllister, Nnamdi Asumogha, and Nate Clements are the norms for top flight CBs (with Revis being the normal high end for longevity): 5-6 really good years followed by a swift decline. They only hang around because they understand NFL offensive designs--the old ones are basically the Jim Kaats of the CB position. The RB position has a few of these too (Frank Gore, Marcus Allen, Curtis Martin (1700 yds in his 10th season)), but at both positions, we're really talking about exceptions. Edited by dave mcbride

I take your point, but you can't predict a cb lasting that long. Few do. Chris McAllister, Nnamdi Asumogha, and Nate Clements are the norms for top flight CBs (with Revis being the normal high end for longevity): 5-6 really good years followed by a swift decline. They only hang around because they understand NFL offensive designs--the old ones are basically the Jim Kaats of the CB position. The RB position has a few of these too (Frank Gore, Marcus Allen, Curtis Martin (1700 yds in his 10th season)), but at both positions, we're really talking about exceptions.

Well.....the contrary is YOU CAN predict a RB not lasting very long. :flirt:

Clements was an 11 year starter....and started 9 games and played well his last year too.........his best season was probably his first in SF where he was voted team MVP which was his 7th season.

Swift decline would overstate it......he was still quite good still but his contract was backloaded HEAVILY.....as was the standard back then when teams were pretty-much all cap-strapped........... which played a big part in his release there.

I think you are shortchanging CB durability........it's a much safer bet than RB.

Besides that........the position was much more important and difficult to fill than RB even then.

The value of DB's really jumped in the NFL in the late 90's when the Belichick defenses that Parcells employed started to get built AROUND them.

Before that only superlative DB's were getting picked in round 1........soon thereafter the trend of "decent" DB's getting drafted high started and a lot of the talent that once played RB started moving to the other side of the ball to get that first round $.

No Saint.. Hot takes like what you see quoted above?

I've sat here and minded my P's and Q's, contributed to conversations and have had productive interactions with new and old members. The issue that continually pops up of late is that there is somehow a recommended manner of conducting yourself here. It's either agree with OP's who've been here a long time or your opinion is wrong and not worth reading, especially if your joining date was in the past month.

The blanket "must be a BBMBer" is exclusionary and not productive to the overarching goal which is to discuss the Bills in an open forum. It's tiresome, petty and in a lot of ways sad. For some they may feel silenced by the dog pile mentality of Vet Members who've decided to fight a useless battle against new comers who haven't learned their place in this hierarchy. Frankly, I don't take these little barbs personally and find it amusing but it does tend to detract from the OP's purpose. So this will be the last I speak of it in this thread. Rest assured however, I won't be silenced by a few bad apples that treat their reputation here like a d*** pump for Lil Peter. This isn't Mitch and Murray's playground, put the brass balls away, noones impressed. Coffee is for everyone. Learn to share.

As a longtime member, I can tell you that I don't even recognize most of those complaining about BBMB because their posts = zzzzzz and I just roll right by them. You on the other hand are an entertaining read, keep up the good work.

Would something like this interest you, or make the Bills better in the long term? McCoy for a 2nd and a 5th like this trade? They have Gillisee and could take McCaffrey at 10 or trade down a little and get an extra pick. Not saying I want it to happen, but I feel something is up with McCoy and you never know what McDermott wants.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/1999/04/16/sports/pro-football-colts-trade-faulk-to-rams.html

That trade was widely regarded here as the Rams fleecing the Colts, so why would we want to emulate it?

I don't think anything is up with McCoy.