What are GOOD receiving TE #'s?

San-O

I was very excited when the Bills signed Charles Clay two ago, however doesn't seem to make many big plays.

He is always playing hurt with a chronic knee condition, which probably limits him, and T.T.'s inability to throw over the middle probably

doesn't help.

Bills are paying him a lot $9 Mil cap hit this year per Spotrac..

Averaging 3.5 receptions / game.

Receptions to target is 65 %. Seems pretty low.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/charles-clay-7893/

4 TDs

1 fumble.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/14145/charles-clay

Edited by San-O

Bills pass less often than any of the other 31 teams in the NFL. When they do, Tyrod Taylor prefers to use check-downs, sideline passes and deep shots -- as opposed to the places where a TE usually runs his routes (down the seam or over the middle). In my estimation, that makes Charles Clay the #3 option (at best) behind Sammy Watkins and Lesean McCoy. On a team that doesn't pass much, the #3 option isn't going to make big stats.

To some, Clay is probably the worst contract the Bills have given out. But in reality, his average salary ($7.6 million) isn't really much worse than where most of the guys at his level should be getting paid. Yes, he is getting paid like a Top #5 TE. But if you go down to the #15 TE by average salary, you find Vance McDonald at ($6.5 million). At #20, you find Antonio Gates ($5.5 million). If the guy is overpaid by #1-2 million per year, I think I can live with that.

Bills pass less often than any of the other 31 teams in the NFL. When they do, Tyrod Taylor prefers to use check-downs, sideline passes and deep shots -- as opposed to the places where a TE usually runs his routes (down the seam or over the middle). In my estimation, that makes Charles Clay the #3 option (at best) behind Sammy Watkins and Lesean McCoy. On a team that doesn't pass much, the #3 option isn't going to make big stats.

To some, Clay is probably the worst contract the Bills have given out. But in reality, his average salary ($7.6 million) isn't really much worse than where most of the guys at his level should be getting paid. Yes, he is getting paid like a Top #5 TE. But if you go down to the #15 TE by average salary, you find Vance McDonald at ($6.5 million). At #20, you find Antonio Gates ($5.5 million). If the guy is overpaid by #1-2 million per year, I think I can live with that.

Excellent points. Excellent post IMO.

Thank you.

Clay STAYS!!

Excellent points. Excellent post IMO.

Thank you.

Clay STAYS!!

1. Clay stays because of cap hit. OBD got out snookered by Fins in attempting to snooker them.

2. TE spot has been the #2 most neglected spot in OBD lore right behind QB spot.

3. Ask Witten, Gonzalez, Gates, Winslow Sr, Mackey, Gronk or Hernandez (pre arrest) about the value of TE spot (don't call Robert Royal, PLEASE).

4. Count the number of times the opposition viewed 3rd and 20 as "third and short" against Buffalo and smoked their azz in the seem for a 1st down.

5. TT has YET to demonstrate he can process the entire field in allotted time to find WR's or TE's open. Hence we're clueless as to what the hell may be in the stable. No more shopping until it's fixed.

With that contract, not like we have a choice :D

Right. The actual $ , the cap hit or the DEAD CAP $? :mellow:

If you're going to get rid of him, do it in the first year of the new HC tenure?

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/190221-we-are-witnessing-the-slow-decay-of-charles-clay/

Clay has gotten worse every year. He is dangerously close to being useless.

The last 3 games (with Tyrod not counting EJ game)

This was with Sammy back and after clay had his child

18 recs 210 yds and 4 tds

Avg 6 rec 70 td and 1+ TD

Still had bad numbers all year. 9.7 YPC is horrendous.

Edited by FireChan

We will see if this changes a bit with a new coaching staff......

Personally? Anyone can see that Clay gets open.....but I hate the way he doesnt punish defenders and fight for more yardage (the way O'Leary does)

Still had bad numbers all year. 9.7 YPC is horrendous.

Similar year that he has with dolphins in 14

Also once Sammy got back it opened up a lot of the field which is when clay started to perform. U don't like clay so fine but don't act his numbers didn't improve once Sammy was back

Jax was his first game back then clay sat out Oakland

The last 3 games (with Tyrod not counting EJ game)

This was with Sammy back and after clay had his child

18 recs 210 yds and 4 tds

Avg 6 rec 70 td and 1+ TD

I can't figure Clay out. He finished decent last year and the previous year started out ok. Then he goes thru long stretches where he's hurt or not targeted. I could live with OJ or C Davis @ 10...or even Mahomes....

Similar year that he has with dolphins in 14

Also once Sammy got back it opened up a lot of the field which is when clay started to perform. U don't like clay so fine but don't act his numbers didn't improve once Sammy was back

Jax was his first game back then clay sat out Oakland

Great. Why were his numbers crappy when Sammy was healthy last year?

still saying two te sets with clay and howard would be awesome both could be out wide when needed or in to block when done right two te sets are unbeatable and that is a fact jack..

this. I like clay and I'd like him even more with OJ Howard in this new offense.