Sign in to follow this  
Another Fan

Mets fans?

25 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Not sure how far you're taking that. My opinion on DW is that his back issues are legit (anyone remember when back issues scuttled Don Mattinglys career). They came at a bad time from a contract standpoint and now both DW and the Mets are letting it play out since insurance is covering the majority of the contract. 

What I hadn't considered until your post is whether insurance is playing into the Cespedes situation. I wonder how much of the season he has to miss before insurance kicks in. I'm skeptical that's what's going on and not prone to conspiracy theories, but it's worth considering given the Wilpons thrifty nature.

I'm well aware of the Wright insurance policy...we can step it up a notch and bring up the fact of the family claiming his salary on the team's payroll.I'm no legal guy and I don't want toss the ownership under the bus...but 2+2 in the end... isn't 5.

If you were watching tonight you already know this.

DeGrom and Gooden are tied for best ERA for a Mets pitcher at the All Star break at 1.68. Well sort of...Gooden edges out Jake 1.677 to 1.678. 

Gooden did it 1985. If you weren't around to see it, the buzz at Shea every time he pitched that year was unforgettable.

Posted (edited)

Nice job Nimmo! His development has at least been one thing nice about this year 

Edited by Another Fan
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

Nice job Nimmo! He’s development has at least been one thing nice about this year 

Speaking of the future...they released Molina..his arm must really be shot.

1 hour ago, SinceThe70s said:

If you were watching tonight you already know this.

DeGrom and Gooden are tied for best ERA for a Mets pitcher at the All Star break at 1.68. Well sort of...Gooden edges out Jake 1.677 to 1.678. 

Gooden did it 1985. If you weren't around to see it, the buzz at Shea every time he pitched that year was unforgettable.

Doc's run is what made hanging Ks from the outfield, "the thing to do."  I wasn't there, but I was watching!

8 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Doc's run is what made hanging Ks from the outfield, "the thing to do."  I wasn't there, but I was watching!

Yup, the K Corner was born.  In '85 we ponied up the cash for box seats to watch Dwight lay waste to the Pirates. They never stood a chance and the stadium was electric. Can't remember Shea or Citi rocking like that for a mid-season game except for Subway Series games.

Local radio station made a great comparison today between DeGrom's season and Craig Swan's in 1978 when he went 9-6 and led the NL with a 2.43 ERA for the last place Mets.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Another Fan said:

Nice job Nimmo! His development has at least been one thing nice about this year 

I like what he said when they interviewed him after the HR... thanking the fans for coming out and still supporting the Mets. I talked with Brandon for a little while at spring practice this February and the year before. Super nice guy! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

Yup, the K Corner was born.  In '85 we ponied up the cash for box seats to watch Dwight lay waste to the Pirates. They never stood a chance and the stadium was electric. Can't remember Shea or Citi rocking like that for a mid-season game except for Subway Series games.

Local radio station made a great comparison today between DeGrom's season and Craig Swan's in 1978 when he went 9-6 and led the NL with a 2.43 ERA for the last place Mets.

Swan was awesome. Still remember him. And Skip Lockwood a close second fav.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Captain Murica said:

I've been watching his numbers all year...he sure isn't skipping a beat after he went west from B-ton.Hey..his young body will give us some much needed range on that side...nothing against Cabbie..but the time is right..Cab aged this year (fielding).

Edited by Misterbluesky

Reyes did a nice job moving the guy over in the bottom of the 8th.  What a colossal piece of pure ****.

Noah gets the win in his return. I wonder how many wins Mets starters have had since he's been out. Off the top of my head I put the over/under around 4.

Calloway just made post-game comments that he likes playing Rosario 5 games a week and using the other two days to work with coaches on his game

Which reminded me of this article that I don't think I posted questioning the Mets player development:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/mets/ny-sports-alderson-backman-mets-development-harper-20180625-story.html

So the Major Leagues has become on the job training?

1 minute ago, SinceThe70s said:

Calloway just made post-game comments that he likes playing Rosario 5 games a week and using the other two days to work with coaches on his game

Which reminded me of this article that I don't think I posted questioning the Mets player development:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/mets/ny-sports-alderson-backman-mets-development-harper-20180625-story.html

So the Major Leagues has become on the job training?

This is his way of calling out the Mets' minor league system.  He may be onto something, actually.  Or he could be deflecting.  I think it's a little of both.

This first came to light when he didn't let Dom Smith bunt because he'd never done it at a major league level.  I agree, that's a problem.  Small ball - in my opinion - is the best baseball.  Players need to be able to do things like bunt in crucial situations.

That said, Callaway has no idea how to put a lineup, or a batting order, together, so that's more on him than it is the Mets' minor league teams.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Gugny said:

This is his way of calling out the Mets' minor league system.  He may be onto something, actually.  Or he could be deflecting.  I think it's a little of both.

This first came to light when he didn't let Dom Smith bunt because he'd never done it at a major league level.  I agree, that's a problem.  Small ball - in my opinion - is the best baseball.  Players need to be able to do things like bunt in crucial situations.

That said, Callaway has no idea how to put a lineup, or a batting order, together, so that's more on him than it is the Mets' minor league teams.

I'm not sticking up for Callaway, until further notice I think he's in way over his head.

When I first read the Daily News article I was skeptical because it relied on Wally Backman's quotes and he might have an axe to grind.  For sure Callaway could be deflecting but after hearing his Rosario comments, maybe there's something to the Daily News article. 

I totally agree on your small ball comments. There are only a handful of players on any roster that I'll give a pass to if they can't lay down a bunt: mostly sluggers and closers.  Kind of scary if they have to teach fundamentals at AAA and above. The league is increasingly trending toward the three outcome at bat: HR, strikeout and walk. It absolutely wrecks our good friend Keith which helps make him a great listen.

3 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

The league is increasingly trending toward the three outcome at bat: HR, strikeout and walk. It absolutely wrecks our good friend Keith which helps make him a great listen.

Exactly.  And it's all about money.

The latest MLB resurgence came from Sosa/McGuire.

MLB wants more home runs and shorter games; this is because there are more casual fans than real fans - by a long shot.  It's a shame. 

4 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Exactly.  And it's all about money.

The latest MLB resurgence came from Sosa/McGuire.

MLB wants more home runs and shorter games; this is because there are more casual fans than real fans - by a long shot.  It's a shame. 

Now you've hit a raw nerve for me...shorter games. If they want to shorten the games ( I am perfectly fine with 3 hours...the 4 hour playoff games not so much), keep the batters in the batters box, make the pitchers throw pitches. I hate the idea of a pitch clock and we're too sensitive a society to allow the umps to dictate the pace of play by calling a ball or strike on the player delaying the game.

What really grinds my gears is the intentional walk. In this day and age the intentional walk is exceedingly rare, yet to "speed up" the game they came up with the no-pitch walk. Took away actual play but didn't shorten games in any meaningful ways.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

Now you've hit a raw nerve for me...shorter games. If they want to shorten the games ( I am perfectly fine with 3 hours...the 4 hour playoff games not so much), keep the batters in the batters box, make the pitchers throw pitches. I hate the idea of a pitch clock and we're too sensitive a society to allow the umps to dictate the pace of play by calling a ball or strike on the player delaying the game.

What really grinds my gears is the intentional walk. In this day and age the intentional walk is exceedingly rare, yet to "speed up" the game they came up with the no-pitch walk. Took away actual play but didn't shorten games in any meaningful ways.

The no pitch walk makes sense to me, simply because WITH the 4-pitch intentional walk, it hardly ever resulted in anything other than the batter ending up on first base.  But yes ... I agree; not a huge time saver.

Limited mound visits is another change I was fine with.

Instant replay ADDS time to the games.  I think instant replay should only confirm HR/no HR; or foul/fair.  That's it.  I love the human element of umpiring and think most are very good.

But I'm not up in arms about the current replay system; I just think that, if shortening games is the goal, they should limit the replay scenarios.

I will tell you two things that will really piss me off:  1) electronic strike zone and 2) implementing the DH in the National League.

9 minutes ago, Captain Murica said:

Love it.  He's a keeper.

And seriously ... Wilmer Flores has become the Mets' Fred Jackson.  Fans LOVE that kid.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Gugny said:

The no pitch walk makes sense to me, simply because WITH the 4-pitch intentional walk, it hardly ever resulted in anything other than the batter ending up on first base.  But yes ... I agree; not a huge time saver.

Limited mound visits is another change I was fine with.

Instant replay ADDS time to the games.  I think instant replay should only confirm HR/no HR; or foul/fair.  That's it.  I love the human element of umpiring and think most are very good.

But I'm not up in arms about the current replay system; I just think that, if shortening games is the goal, they should limit the replay scenarios.

I will tell you two things that will really piss me off:  1) electronic strike zone and 2) implementing the DH in the National League.

Great points, I pretty much agree with all of this. What worries me about the intentional walks is the next logical step. On a HR over the wall the batters and runners just return to the dugout and don't have to touch the bases. I saw that in softball and was appalled.

Instant replay does add time, but pace of play is the bigger issue. The batter shouldn't have to scratch his balls in between every pitch. Limiting mound visits made a lot of sense, I think that gets really bad in the playoffs.

And yes yes yes on the human element of umpiring. Having a close call go the wrong way is a part of the game that I have no issue with. Replay should only be to fix the blatant missed call..unfortunately that cat is out of the bag.

Just now, SinceThe70s said:

Great points, I pretty much agree with all of this. What worries me about the intentional walks is the next logical step. On a HR over the wall the batters and runners just return to the dugout and don't have to touch the bases. I saw that in softball and was appalled.

Instant replay does add time, but pace of play is the bigger issue. The batter shouldn't have to scratch his balls in between every pitch. Limiting mound visits made a lot of sense, I think that gets really bad in the playoffs.

And yes yes yes on the human element of umpiring. Having a close call go the wrong way is a part of the game that I have no issue with. Replay should only be to fix the blatant missed call..unfortunately that cat is out of the bag.

My mom told me one of the Yankees got fined for taking too much time between pitches whilst batting.  Oddly enough, there was no bigger time waster between pitches than Derek Jeter.  Undid, redid both batting gloves between every pitch, in every at bat.

• Like 1

The least agita in a win since April I guess. The 11-2 opening seems so long ago.  Taking a 4 game series from the Nats though is always nice 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

The least agita in a win since April I guess. The 11-2 opening seems so long ago.  Taking a 4 game series from the Nats though is always nice 

Wheeler looked sharp. Need to jack up his value as much as possible before the end of the month.

• Like 1