Wrote a Buffalo News column today.

Roundybout

St Stanislaus in Rochester? Across from Franklin HS

My in laws were from that neighborhood and my brother got married in that church 40 something years ago

Never mind. I see there's one in Buffalo

There was also one in Niagara Falls,NY.

Well written piece. Your description gives a sense how downtrodden the area is and also the promise of it. Outsiders don't realize that there is a resilient and lively community surrounded by worn out buildings. I'm hoping that the proposed development of the train station facility and the selection of it for a train station gives a boost to that area.

As a former Canisius Crusader I have to give you the credit you deserve on this project. Well done!

Edited by JohnC

Few more extra pictures for your viewing pleasure :thumbsup:
IMG_8675_2.jpg
IMG_8654.jpg
Creepy ass doll thing.
IMG_8664.jpg
Got to the observation deck as well.
IMG_8683_2.jpg
Former Laux Sporting Goods store.
myself.jpg
Me.

Well written piece. Your description gives a sense how downtrodden the area is and also the promise of it. Outsiders don't realize that there is a resilient and lively community surrounded by worn out buildings. I'm hoping that the proposed development of the train station facility and the selection of it for a train station gives a boost to that area.

As a former Canisius Crusader I have to give you the credit you deserve on this project. Well done!

Wow, my piece must have been pretty good if a daisy is giving me credit :thumbsup:

Few more extra pictures for your viewing pleasure :thumbsup:
IMG_8675_2.jpg
IMG_8654.jpg
Creepy ass doll thing.
IMG_8664.jpg
Got to the observation deck as well.
IMG_8683_2.jpg
Former Laux Sporting Goods store.
myself.jpgyour
Me.

Wow, my piece must have been pretty good if a daisy is giving me credit :thumbsup:

St. Joe is a good fall back school when you can't get into your first choice school. There is no shame not getting into the more exclusive and challenging school. Obviously, since your school is not so rigorous you have plenty of free time for gallivanting around the area. If Chad Kelly can successfully meet the academic and behavior standards at your lenient school then you know your standards are closer to the floor than the ceiling! :nana:

Seriously, you did do an excellent job. If I didn't know who the author was I would have thought it was done by a professional reporter who not only is a good writer but also has a good eye and feel for the story. :worthy:

St. Joe is a good fall back school when you can't get into your first choice school. There is no shame not getting into the more exclusive and challenging school. Obviously, since your school is not so rigorous you have plenty of free time for gallivanting around the area. If Chad Kelly can successfully meet the academic and behavior standards at your lenient school then you know your standards are closer to the floor than the ceiling! :nana:

Seriously, you did do an excellent job. If I didn't know who the author was I would have thought it was done by a professional reporter who not only is a good writer but also has a good eye and feel for the story. :worthy:

:beer:B-)

Awesome job!!!

I really enjoyed reading your article. Keep up the good work. I wish more stories about the past were written. It's nice to read and remember the old days.

Have you ever read this Westie:

Published in 1990.

https://www.amazon.com/Last-Fine-Time-Verlyn-Klinkenborg/dp/0226443353

"By turns, an elegy, a celebration, and a social history, The Last Fine Time is a tour de force of lyrical style. Verlyn Klinkenborg chronicles the life of a family-owned restaurant in Buffalo, New York, from its days as a prewar Polish tavern to its reincarnation as George & Eddie's, a swank nightspot serving highballs and French-fried shrimp to a generation of optimistic and prosperous Americans. In the inevitable dimming of the neon sign outside the restaurant, we see both the passing of an old world way of life and the end to the postwar exuberance that was Eddie Wenzek's "last fine time."

From Publishers Weekly:

From its deft first sentence ("Snow begins as a rumor in Buffalo, New York"), this detailed, wistfully affectionate re-creation of the immigrant experience clarifies the human cost of the disappearance of once-distinctive ethnic neighborhoods. Klinkenborg ( Making Hay ) tells the story of a tavern in Polish-American East Buffalo that his father-in-law, Eddie Wenzek, inherited in 1947 at age 27. Originally purchased by his father in 1922 during Prohibition, the workingman's bar was transformed by Eddie into a fashionable late-night spot. The flowing narrative evokes a time and place where streetcars clattered, where advertising had not yet molded a consumerist culture in a postwar America "beating its swords into appliances." The Wenzels sold the tavern in 1970 and moved to the suburbs. Klinkenborg links the bar's fortunes to the gradual erosion of Buffalo's sense of destiny, "a sad tale of unknotting."