Bills 2017 FA Class or Gilmore/Woods?

Adam727

Good post.

I personally loved this FA class, including retaining Tyrod, Zo,Groy,Mills, etc... I feel like we got tremendous VALUE in our signings. Then you look at the contracts Gilmore and Woods got and I feel NE and LA both overpaid by alot. Talented players but I'm very happy we didn't sign em for that amount.

I don't know, it felt different this year, like it was all business , no signings that made you feel like it was 'a marketing ploy.

Thanks! Good point on the value of the signing the Bills did make.

Interestingly most people felt Woods wasn't even good enough to be the #2 WR going into last season. Many felt he was a fringe 2,good WR3 and we needed to upgrade at WR2. So even though we still need a solid wr2 I don't think he was worth the money to retain at his value.

I think this is right. Woods was a good player and most people would have preferred him move to the slot and replace him with a legit #2. The fact that he was paid 8 million a season was way to much for what we would use him for.

I am happy with the approach so far. I think it is amazing that Gilmore got the 14 million and from the Pats - I think that is a mistake they will regret.

I like both players, but not at the contracts they got - I think the Bills are in an alright place. Now let's see what the draft brings.

It probably makes sense in the context of McD's predominantly Cover 3 scheme to not spend big on CBs. From a difference maker standpoint we lost one in Gilmore and didn't replace him with another player of that caliber. The Hyde signing was our best get in FA. He rates between Gilmore and Woods. Beyond that it's mostly depth and stopgap players. Still, they'll be some of this sort of thing when a new scheme is implemented and the cap is pretty tight. Definitely some holes left to fill, but Whaley did a good job for the situation he (at least partially) put himself in.

THIS GUY gets it..

Semi cap strapped and we got some guys who will make a difference on sundays (hyde, dimarco, good depth and probably some surprise performers)

Gilmore and Woods = luxuries

We had a lot of free agents and needed to spend our available funds to replace to them. Not sure there are any upgrades here other than potentially at safety. One can argue that Woods and Gilmore were overpaid in their new deals, but it also is the case that they represent a loss of quality players that will likely not be replaced adequately for the start of this season.

We had a lot of free agents and needed to spend our available funds to replace to them. Not sure there are any upgrades here other than potentially at safety. One can argue that Woods and Gilmore were overpaid in their new deals, but it also is the case that they represent a loss of quality players that will likely not be replaced adequately for the start of this season.

If we draft a WR in round 1 or 2 (or maybe even 3) - they COULD come in and immediately replace Woods "production". Yes Woods was an excellent run blocker, but thats not to say the new WR cannot also be. And this would be at a fraction of his contract.

Gilmore's quality wont be replaced, but it doesn't need to be as dictated by the defensive scheme. Why pay 50 dollars for a pair of shoes that do the same job as a 5 dollar pair?

And you are right...we had a lot of free agents and holes that we needed to use our available funds to fill...I just don't agree that we really lost much we can't / haven't replaced.

Edited by PaattMaann

THIS GUY gets it..

Semi cap strapped and we got some guys who will make a difference on sundays (hyde, dimarco, good depth and probably some surprise performers)

Gilmore and Woods = luxuries

Thanks! Gilmore is worth his contract to a team that'll use him in the right scheme where he can press and have help over top (like Cover 2). Woods is, well, a pretty big projection. It's been said repeatedly here that Watkins would have much better stats if the Bills passed more. Well, the Rams are gambling that such is the case with Woods. He certainly seems competent, but he's definitely getting paid above that level now.