How many of TD's draft picks remain?

HurlyBurly51

At my count, since TD took over the GM position, the Bills have selected 36 players out of the draft.  This includes this past April's draft of course.

Out of those players, he's cut 13 of them.

19220[/snapback]

That agrees with my math, we still have 23 draft choices aboard.

This is what happens as a team rebuilds and gets better talent. Eventually, later round players get cut.

I don't think Sape or Sobieski are eligible for the practice squad.  I believe that they were on the roster last year for for the full season.  I think this disqualifies them.

19227[/snapback]

I'm not quite sure that's how the practice squad works. Eligiblity is based on the active roster participation, not the full roster.

I hope some roster guru out there will shed some light on this subject, in case I am just typing out of my stojan-hole right now.

look around at other teams and their draft picks over the past 3 years. you'll see that the bills are in the top 10 in teams that have retained their picks, and for good reason.

19268[/snapback]

That's what makes me chuckle when people talk about the Bills drafting horribly. No, we're not starting 22 players that were drafted by the Bills, but we are among the highest with # of draft picks on the roster. We have a handful of Bills'-signed (over the years) UDFAs on the roster as well, with a couple starting...

And this is different from any other GM in the NFL, how?

Oh these trolls are easily dismissed with calculated facts!  *sigh*

19248[/snapback]

Just under 40% of TD's day 2 picks are still with the team, though that number could jump up past 50% if Sobieski, Sape, and Fumbling Freddie all make tomorrow's practice squad (assuming Sobieski and Sape are eligible). Of course, the percentage of day 2 picks still with the team isn't the best measuring statistic. For example, certain day 2 players like Marques Sullivan and Dominique Stevenson should be considered successes because they both contributed to the Bills for 2-3 seasons, and this is all one should reasonably expect from a day 2 drafted player. So how about the percentage of day 2 players who made the Bills roster at some point in their football career? Answer: over 85%, if you include the practice squad as part of the roster and assume Fumbling Freddie makes this year's practice squad.

Take this all for what it's worth, but without looking at other NFL teams' draft stats, I think they show TD is doing a slightly above average to very good job during Day 2 of the draft. By the way, I don't believe this is a significant issue to grade an NFL GM. There are more important issues, like day 1 of the draft, overall free agents, undrafted street free agents, hiring decisions with the coaching staff, etc...

So if the trolls want to attack TD, this is not the subject with which to do so.

Just under 40% of TD's day 2 picks are still with the team, though that number could jump up past 50% if Sobieski, Sape, and Fumbling Freddie all make tomorrow's practice squad (assuming Sobieski and Sape are eligible). Of course, the percentage of day 2 picks still with the team isn't the best measuring statistic. For example, certain day 2 players like Marques Sullivan and Dominique Stevenson should be considered successes because they both contributed to the Bills for 2-3 seasons, and this is all one should reasonably expect from a day 2 drafted player. So how about the percentage of day 2 players who made the Bills roster at some point in their football career? Answer: over 85%, if you include the practice squad as part of the roster and assume Fumbling Freddie makes this year's practice squad.

Take this all for what it's worth, but without looking at other NFL teams' draft stats, I think they show TD is doing a slightly above average to very good job during Day 2 of the draft. By the way, I don't believe this is a significant issue to grade an NFL GM. There are more important issues, like day 1 of the draft, overall free agents, undrafted street free agents, hiring decisions with the coaching staff, etc...

So if the trolls want to attack TD, this is not the subject with which to do so.

19305[/snapback]

[sarcasm]Oh KH, you're such a TD apologist! LOL![/sarcasm]

Just under 40% of TD's day 2 picks are still with the team, though that number could jump up past 50% if Sobieski, Sape, and Fumbling Freddie all make tomorrow's practice squad (assuming Sobieski and Sape are eligible).

Yep, Sobieski is eligible since he only was active for 1 game last year. I think that's the way they're going with him. As for Sape, he might have to wrestle for that last spot.

And this is different from any other GM in the NFL, how?

Oh these trolls are easily dismissed with calculated facts!  *sigh*

19248[/snapback]

Wow, did I touch on a sore spot with you or something? Sensitive! I was simply looking for some information since I was too lazy to look it up - thanks to those who responded! Wasn't insinuating anything about TD.

Actually, the percentages are fairly impressive, but I had no idea where we stood. As a matter of fact, before yesterday I had perceived that we barely let go of any of our draft picks.

look around at other teams and their draft picks over the past 3 years. you'll see that the bills are in the top 10 in teams that have retained their picks, and for good reason.

19268[/snapback]

Maybe that's TD's downfall?

Will Denney and Kelsay step it up this year?

A little update/extra info on this topic:

Now that Sobieski, Sape, and J. Smith are on the practice squad, that leaves TD with only 10 of his 36 picks no longer with the team in any capacity.

Of those 10 players, 2 played at least two full seasons with the Bills (Dom Stevenson, Marques Sullivan), 2 had somewhat promising careers cut short due to injuries (Brandon Spoon, Tony Driver), 3 had careers cut short due to major character issues (Tyrone Robertson, Rodney Wright, Reggie Germany), 1 never made the team but is still having a productive NFL career elsewhere (Jimmy Williams), and 2 never got anywhere much beyond their first Bills preseason (Dan O'Leary, Jarret Ferguson).

Over 70% of TD's picks are still with the team.

100% of TD's day one picks are still with the team.

Over 50% of TD's day two picks are still with the team.

Once again, it's hard to make much of these facts without looking at how other GM's have done in the same past 4 years. And you can't necessarily rate a GM's drafting ability based on the players still with the team since good teams often have no need to keep many of their draft picks.

Nevertheless, my own opinion from these stats is that TD has at least done a very good drafting job, if not an excellent job. Of the 10 picks no longer with the team, 7 still made the Bills team at some point and only Ferguson never made an NFL roster. Spoon, Ferguson, and O'Leary were the only draft picks I thought were wastes of a pick. All three didn't have the talent level to match the round in which they were chosen. The three guys with character issues (Robertson, Wright, Germany) each had the definite talent and NFL potential to justify their 7th round draft positions.

That's all, folks!