Culture change has begun

I disagree as I believe the culture change started at McDermott's introductory press conference. He began lay out his plan and vision at that time and you can bet the players were watching.

You are right that when OTAs start that what MC does then will matter more but he is beginning to take the first steps in the process.

1. Anyone else notice that the Bills seem alot more buttoned up. Leaks were everywhere under Ryan and the whole Tyrod deal was kept under wraps.

2. The organizational face and direction. Ryan was full of bluster and liked joking around during media appearances. He often talked down to his opponents. Whaley is not comfortable in front of the microphone. I think Bills are shifting to having MC be face of franchise. He takes a professional, business minded approach but also has a competitive energy about him. Again, players see this and fans see this. These are all small steps in changing the organization and how it is viewed.

3.Player moves and signings. High character players who love football and the team are being resigned and signed. MC is making this an emphasis because this is what he wants. You can't bring in a bunch of players like Manziel, Gordon and Martavius Bryant and expect them to change the culture in a positive way. The culture must be established first (it may take a year or two) before MC may feel the locker room is strong enough to handle such a player. Or he may not ever want the headache and actively sign such a player. As a HC you can't come in an say you want this type of team and player and then go sign something different. By putting as many players who think like himself in the locker room, the change will end up being much easier and faster.

Posted this in the martavis thread, but it belongs here. I have to believe the culture change will also show up in the draft by passing on guys with questionable character like k. Williams and A. Washington.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How loud were Mularky, Juaron, or Gailey? They stunk also.

If you're good you're good all the other stuff (loud or quiet) doesn't matter.

Well said

------------

It's like the BBMB. All threads turn to how bad EJ was.

WRT culture we should want all Bills players to put in effort and be a team guy like EJ was.

WRT smoking pot - look up how many NFL players smoke.

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

I disagree as I believe the culture change started at McDermott's introductory press conference. He began lay out his plan and vision at that time and you can bet the players were watching.

You are right that when OTAs start that what MC does then will matter more but he is beginning to take the first steps in the process.

1. Anyone else notice that the Bills seem alot more buttoned up. Leaks were everywhere under Ryan and the whole Tyrod deal was kept under wraps.

2. The organizational face and direction. Ryan was full of bluster and liked joking around during media appearances. He often talked down to his opponents. Whaley is not comfortable in front of the microphone. I think Bills are shifting to having MC be face of franchise. He takes a professional, business minded approach but also has a competitive energy about him. Again, players see this and fans see this. These are all small steps in changing the organization and how it is viewed.

3.Player moves and signings. High character players who love football and the team are being resigned and signed. MC is making this an emphasis because this is what he wants. You can't bring in a bunch of players like Manziel, Gordon and Martavius Bryant and expect them to change the culture in a positive way. The culture must be established first (it may take a year or two) before MC may feel the locker room is strong enough to handle such a player. Or he may not ever want the headache and actively sign such a player. As a HC you can't come in an say you want this type of team and player and then go sign something different. By putting as many players who think like himself in the locker room, the change will end up being much easier and faster.

....all great points....Marrone vowed to change the culture during interview with Brandon, but went about it in the wrong way.....he wanted to be General Patton and it wore on players, staff & OBD brass...they had dinner reservation at a Fairport restaurant after a daily TC.....restaurant was 20 minutes late seating them and Marrone went nuts....everybody had to make up the lost 20 minutes so they could get back to St John Fisher for nightly round of meetings, going to 9 or 10PM....it got old.....Wrecks brought the embarrassing Jets East Barnum & Bailey circus to Buffalo, renamed Jets West.....we've had some real winners....Greggy with his airhorn and Dopey Dickie Jauron without a clue, running Club Med......McCoach seems balanced, straight to the point with no nonsense or fanfare and I like it.....even for those yawning about the hire, stay tuned...............

....all great points....Marrone vowed to change the culture during interview with Brandon, but went about it in the wrong way.....he wanted to be General Patton and it wore on players, staff & OBD brass...they had dinner reservation at a Fairport restaurant after a daily TC.....restaurant was 20 minutes late seating them and Marrone went nuts....everybody had to make up the lost 20 minutes so they could get back to St John Fisher for nightly round of meetings, going to 9 or 10PM....it got old.....Wrecks brought the embarrassing Jets East Barnum & Bailey circus to Buffalo, renamed Jets West.....we've had some real winners....Greggy with his airhorn and Dopey Dickie Jauron without a clue, running Club Med......McCoach seems balanced, straight to the point with no nonsense or fanfare and I like it.....even for those yawning about the hire, stay tuned...............

Agreed. MCDermott has me excited as a fan because he has the potential to be one of the better head coaches in the league. Just about every other head coach we have hired since Marv, i have had little hope of them being a top HC. In the past, the best i could hope for is that our HC not be too much of a burden on the team. With McDermott, i really believe he can be a significant asset to the organization.

He's a kid who smokes pot. And it cost him,more importantly the team and the fans. That's what he did. He is NOT a cancer

if ruining a teams chemistry and potential by committing selfish acts is not a team cancer then I have no idea wha tis. Do you think he didn't encourage others to follow him to the fun times....he is not committed to team so by definition he is a cancer.

This. Draft a competent qb and the culture can actually start to change.

Hearing about how great our new coach is while the front office continues to beg for QB scraps from other teams is tiring.

I just can't buy in to what is the same failed plan.