Newspaper Rumors on Potential Backup QBs

From CNNSI

March 1st:

Jay Fiedler is interested in becoming Eli Manning's backup. But first he wants to see if he can find a starting job someplace else. He could draw some interest from Cleveland if the Browns can't re-sign Kelly Holcomb, but beyond that there aren't many open starting jobs. Giants coach Tom Coughlin likes Fiedler, whom he coached in Jacksonville in 1999, and has the 33-year-old at the top of his backup quarterback wish list.

-- New York Daily News

It appears the Giants will not be battling with the Jets for Fiedler, but they are competing with the Bears for his services.

-- New York Post

Brad Johnson joins a few other prominent veteran quarterbacks, Warner and Garcia, on the free agent market. Arizona, Chicago and Detroit appear set to compete to sign Warner, the two-time league most valuable player who is primed to leave the New York Giants after one season mentoring Eli Manning. The Lions, Denver Broncos and perhaps the Buccaneers could be in the running to sign Garcia.

-- Washington Post

The Lions are mulling the merits of signing Kurt Warner, or Jeff Garcia, or Brad Johnson, someone who can push incumbent Joey Harrington but not push him too hard, yet push him hard enough to make him better, unless he can't get better, in which case the backup had better be good enough to start.

-- Detroit News

From CNNSI

someone who can push incumbent Joey Harrington but not push him too hard, yet push him hard enough to make him better, unless he can't get better, in which case the backup had better be good enough to start.

-- Detroit News

256853[/snapback]

Wow, is it just me or does it seem like Detroit would be a pretty unattractive place to go if you are a QB trying to crack a starting lineup? Sounds like the deck is stacked against you before you even get to camp....

Wow, is it just me or does it seem like Detroit would be a pretty unattractive place to go if you are a QB trying to crack a starting lineup?  Sounds like the deck is stacked against you before you even get to camp....

256971[/snapback]

yeah...just ask Joe Ferguson. :D

Wow, is it just me or does it seem like Detroit would be a pretty unattractive place to go if you are a QB trying to crack a starting lineup?  Sounds like the deck is stacked against you before you even get to camp....

256971[/snapback]

I was going to say it sounds a lot like the Buffalo situation.

256971[/snapback]

Actually, beside being in the city of Detroit, the Lions situation might not be that bad. Anyone who signs would only have to beat out Joey Harrington. If you believe all the rumours, Marriuci is pretty close to giving up on Harrington. Add to the fact that Marriuci is considered a "player coach" who normally has great relationships with his QB's, runs a very QB friendly offense, and the fact that (when healthy) the Lions should be stacked at the WR position. The only thing the Lions are missing, offensively is a reliable running back. IMO, Garcia would be crazy to go anywhere else, at this point in his career. I think he will end up in Detroit. With him there, the Lions might actually show some major improvement. The longer things go on, Harrington is looking not much better than Charlie Batch, maybe not even as good!

Actually, beside being in the city of Detroit, the Lions situation might not be that bad.  Anyone who signs would only have to beat out Joey Harrington.  If you believe all the rumours, Marriuci is pretty close to giving up on Harrington.  Add to the fact that Marriuci is considered a "player coach" who normally has great relationships with his QB's, runs a very QB friendly offense, and the fact that (when healthy) the Lions should be stacked at the WR position.  The only thing the Lions are missing, offensively is a reliable running back.  IMO, Garcia would be crazy to go anywhere else, at this point in his career. I think he will end up in Detroit.  With him there, the Lions might actually show some major improvement.  The longer things go on, Harrington is looking not much better than Charlie Batch, maybe not even as good!

257007[/snapback]

If that's true about Mariucci, then yes. I got the impression that there was a 'Harrington Apologists' contingency running things there.

Although, deep down, I would like to see Joey break out this year.

If that's true about Mariucci, then yes.  I got the impression that there was a 'Harrington Apologists' contingency running things there.

Although, deep down, I would like to see Joey break out this year.

257011[/snapback]

From what I have heard, from numerous NFL "insiders" on many different occaisions, is that Marriuci does not think Harrington has "it", but the GM, who drafted him, Matt Millen has been pushing him on Marriuci. Even Millen though, by the end of this past season, was starting to have his doubts too!

At the time there was some speculation that the Bills had their sights on Harrington with the #4 pick, which is why the Bledsoe deal didn't go down until later that day.

Although nothing has ever come out of OBD officially -- after all, they wouldn't want Big Mike to think that he was a contingency plan -- the prevailing belief by those in the know was that TD thought that the Lions were going to draft Quentin Jammer (or trade that pick to another team interested in Jammer) and had his sights on Harrington. In fact, when Harrington wasn't there, TD himself admitted that he tried to trade down but couldn't find any takers.

The funny thing is that the Redskins used their end-of-the-round pick on Patrick Ramsey -- then almost immediately contacted the Bills to see if they were willing to trade away the following year's #1, plus their second rounder in exchange for Ramsey. TD wisely told them thanks but no thanks. A little while later the Bledsoe deal was announced.

So, on that day we almost had Harrington, could have had Ramsey, and wound up with Drew. Despite all of the criticism of Drew, I still believe that TD made the best decision that day.

If you wear a condom, your likelihood of getting stuff decreases.

257049[/snapback]

Not if you put it on your nose

I've been in lurker mode during the offseason, but that is the funniest post I've read in weeks - I had to give kudos to the zeppman.

257138[/snapback]

Hey, thanks man :D The mental image was killing me, so I just had to post it.

So, on that day we almost had Harrington, could have had Ramsey, and wound up with Drew. Despite all of the criticism of Drew, I still believe that TD made the best decision that day.

257096[/snapback]

I agree. Of course if Joey was there in the 4th and we picked Mike and went with Bledsoe, then there would be an argument, but that didn't happen.

In case anyone was looking for the reason that phrases like "not a toy" is printed on Subway sandwich bags and "Do not eat" has to be printed on the drying agent in your new shoe box...

257151[/snapback]

lmao.....I was waiting for that