Tyrod's new restructured contract - the details

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@jasonlacanfora

Tyrod Taylor's re-done deal with the Bills is for 2yrs, $30.5M (rest of it voids), $15.5M guar. Makes $14.5 this year, would make $16M in 18

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/tyrod-taylor-7899/

Seems reasonable for both sides. It's a high end bridge deal that doesn't preclude the Bills from trying to acquire their long term FQB. And we can be competitive in the short term. Nice job by Whaley on this one.

I think it's weird the way some folks are trying to comfort themselves here.

#1: It's clear that our new Head Coach views our much-maligned QB as a QB he can "win-now" with

#2: Tyrod Taylor is familiar with and has only started for one NFL team: the Buffalo Bills

#3: While the Bills have a new HC, the new OC runs a system Taylor is very familiar with and is tailored (hah) to his strengths

#4: As far as we know so far, most of the personnel on offense outside of the WR corps will be the same

#5: Agents negotiating with or talking to other NFL teams is not allowed by NFL rules and is considered tampering

#6: We can't read Tyrod Taylor's mind

Now, I really don't care what happened.

If tampering did occur and Taylor found out there's less out in the open market than in Buffalo and so he decided to stay: wonderful!

If Taylor just decided to take a lot less money (still waiting on all those contract details... ?) to stay with Buffalo for whatever reason (familiarity with city and fans, familiarity with offensive personnel, familiarity with OC and offensive system, competitive desire to "finish what he started" and bring a winner to a city that hasn't won in so long, any combination of those, etc.): fantastic!

We don't know. Taylor evidently has a PC today, so maybe he sheds some light on some of this. But for me at least, the moment Taylor said at the end of the regular season in locker clean out day (I think) that he would consider reworking his contract (I'm paraphrasing), this was going to be a big game of chicken up until the March 11th deadline. It would have been irresponsible for Whaley and Overdorf and Co. having heard that statement publicly from Taylor, to not try to rework his deal. But I thought it was inevitable that someone would flinch and that Taylor would be back.

So, what did we see over the last few months? Lots and lots and lots of the media and "experts" saying pretty much that it was inevitable that he would be gone. Seems to me like a great way to test Taylor to see how steadfast he is on the money and/or how much he wants to be back. For me, Taylor just flinched first and lost the game of chicken. Personally, I think the Bills were prepared to exercise his option by this weekend if he didn't, but obviously that's just speculation... we'll never know. Or, maybe he just truly is a team guy and saw the Cap trouble the team was in and wanted to help. And sure, it's possible that feelers went out and he saw less money on the open market.

Who knows?

Who cares?

Tyrod Taylor is still the Buffalo Bills starting QB, despite so many saying he would inevitably be gone.

Bottom line is he is only here because he took a massive paycut to his guaranteed money.

Taylor will say all the right things like all players do, but it's naive to think Taylor chose to stay here for significantly less than what he could have made in the open market.

Lots of posters swore Taylor would not budge on his deal and that he could do just as well or better elsewhere. Others like me said teams may wise up after seeing Osweiler's deal blow up in Houston's face.

As it turns out...I have seem to have faired better in my prediction.

I don't think there was any commitment on the Bills part. If there was they would have just picked up the remainder of the original contract.

To me this was plan B or C or D.

Yup, the only place he was guaranteed to start was Buffalo. Him and his agent quickly found that out a couple days ago.

Wow... whole lotta speculation here stated as fact.

But you're really wrong on your first sentence. The Bills, regardless of their committment to Taylor, had no need to pick up the remainder of his contract until March 11th. And with Taylor coming out and publicly stating that he would be willing to rework his deal (which he might regret now, depending on the reason he took less money), it would have been fiscally irresponsible for Buffalo to not try to get him to rework his deal.

And if your argument becomes, "well, picking up the option early demonstrates a committment to the QB and helps his psyche," well that's a pretty flimsy argument.

Fair enough but still a far cry from the other half dozen or more good teams that were supposed to be fighting for his services like a lot of others around here were saying.

Remember when everyone was saying Tyrod was going to break the bank as a FA! Nope, didn't happen and was never going to happen. Loud obnoxious ignorant argumentative know nothings are really annoying.

Isn't that exactly what you're being here?

You have absolutely no clue what was going to happen in Free Agency because it didn't happen.

In the end, the argument that it all boiled down to this offseason was whether Tyrod Taylor would be the Bills QB in 2017.

He is. Despite a whole lotta loud obnoxious ignorant argumentative know nothings who said otherwise.

Bottom line is he is only here because he took a massive paycut to his guaranteed money.

Taylor will say all the right things like all players do, but it's naive to think Taylor chose to stay here for significantly less than what he could have made in the open market.

Lots of posters swore Taylor would not budge on his deal and that he could do just as well or better elsewhere. Others like me said teams may wise up after seeing Osweiler's deal blow up in Houston's face.

That's not the bottom line.

That's what you think is the bottom line.

We'll never know because we never reached the March 11th deadline and the only people we'll have to trust are media guys who were mostly saying the Bills were 100% moving on from him, so if you think they're credible sources and you can trust them, go ahead.

And who cares?

You're still trying to be right. And why?

Buffalo thinks they can "win now" with Tyrod Taylor as QB.

I said all along that I wanted the Bills to try to get Taylor for cheaper and that Taylor might be open to it since he publicly said so at the end of the season. They did, and I love it.

But one thing you and many others were very, very wrong about was the inevitability of Tyrod being gone once a new coaching staff came in because they would want "their guy."

The new coaching staff came in. They evaluated the team.

They like Tyrod Taylor as the starting QB.

I'm glad it's on a reduced contract now because maybe we can beef up one of the league's worst WR corps, but the very action of keeping Taylor rather than letting him go is very telling.

Crusher, when you ask a question or make a statement and then answer your own question or agree with your own statement, that's not called being right, it's called being clinically insane.

Wow... whole lotta speculation here stated as fact.

But you're really wrong on your first sentence. The Bills, regardless of their committment to Taylor, had no need to pick up the remainder of his contract until March 11th. And with Taylor coming out and publicly stating that he would be willing to rework his deal (which he might regret now, depending on the reason he took less money), it would have been fiscally irresponsible for Buffalo to not try to get him to rework his deal.

And if your argument becomes, "well, picking up the option early demonstrates a committment to the QB and helps his psyche," well that's a pretty flimsy argument.

Isn't that exactly what you're being here?

You have absolutely no clue what was going to happen in Free Agency because it didn't happen.

In the end, the argument that it all boiled down to this offseason was whether Tyrod Taylor would be the Bills QB in 2017.

He is. Despite a whole lotta loud obnoxious ignorant argumentative know nothings who said otherwise.

He only is because he took a steep cut in pay.

Despite many saying otherwise.

You are celebrating Tyrod staying. Will you still celebrate you're beloved QB when the team goes 6-10 and he still isn't playing beyond the low level that he produced at last season?

I don't hate that he's back now that he's getting a lot less, but now he and the coaching staff have a lot of pressure on a team with major holes across the board.

I'm not so sure this was the right strategy to employ with this new staff. I don't think McDermott realizes just how quickly the fans will turn on him if he he doesn't deliver.

Crusher, when you ask a question or make a statement and then answer your own question or agree with your own statement, that's not called being right, it's called being clinically insane.

That's all he does.

Of course what people here don't know is some of your other predictions. Like the one that EJ was going to win the starter battle... or that the offense would look better with EJ in 2015... or that the offense wouldnt lose a step against the Jets with EJ starting... or that Tyrod and the Bills would end up in court over the injury guarantee.

But good job Crusher, pat yourself on the back for this one.

Edited by HappyDays

Of course what people here don't know is some of your other predictions. Like the one that EJ was going to win the starter battle... or that the offense would look better with EJ in 2015... or that the offense wouldnt lose a step against the Jets with EJ starting... or that Tyrod and the Bills would end up in court over the injury guarantee.

His infatuation of hate for TT is because he is embarrassed over his support of EJ. He has now infected these boards with it. But he can't be the bully here, like he was over there.

I won't disagree with this.

Thanks..I will.

You are celebrating Tyrod staying. Will you still celebrate you're beloved QB when the team goes 6-10 and he still isn't playing beyond the low level that he produced at last season?

I don't hate that he's back now that he's getting a lot less, but now he and the coaching staff have a lot of pressure on a team with major holes across the board.

I'm not so sure this was the right strategy to employ with this new staff. I don't think McDermott realizes just how quickly the fans will turn on him if he he doesn't deliver.

Dude.

You're being sad now... do you not see that?

This is just kinda pathetic.

Move beyond the money thing that is pure speculation at this point. You have absolutely no clue how the process played out and you're talking as though you knew it absolutely. You're speculating about something you don't know and insinuating that you're right and we're all wrong because your speculation (stated as fact) is true.

We know only one thing: Posters like you said time and time and time and time again that Buffalo somehow "finally see the light" and would move on from Taylor.

No matter how this whole process played out, we can say that assumption was absolutely, 100%, concretely false.

Everything else regarding how much he could have gotten elsewhere or why he took less money is you guessing, along with the rest of us.

You aren't right just because of a guess.

His infatuation of hate for TT is because he is embarrassed over his support of EJ. He has now infected these boards with it. But he can't be the bully here, like he was over there.

If anyone knows embarrassment, it's you.

And I've promised to be nicer over here, but I may bully you just because you think I can't.

If anyone knows embarrassment, it's you.

And I've promised to be nicer over here, but I may bully you just because you think I can't.

The posters here have more freedom and will not tolerate your nonsense. Thus, the phony "nice" you claim to have.

Dude.

You're being sad now... do you not see that?

This is just kinda pathetic.

Move beyond the money thing that is pure speculation at this point. You have absolutely no clue how the process played out and you're talking as though you knew it absolutely. You're speculating about something you don't know and insinuating that you're right and we're all wrong because your speculation (stated as fact) is true.

We know only one thing: Posters like you said time and time and time and time again that Buffalo somehow "finally see the light" and would move on from Taylor.

No matter how this whole process played out, we can say that assumption was absolutely, 100%, concretely false.

Everything else regarding how much he could have gotten elsewhere or why he took less money is you guessing, along with the rest of us.

You aren't right just because of a guess.

It's much more than a guess.

Taylor and his agent pressured the Bills last offseason for that awful deal that just had to re-do if he was to stay on the team. I believe his agent said there are 31 other teams that value Tyrod if the Bills don't. It was clearly about the money then, but now he's just taking a lot less because he loves the organization that benched him which he was clearly not happy about.

It's called using common sense to draw a logical conclusion.

You're assumption that you made yesterday when this news broke requires some steep jumps beyond logic and reasoning. You were also fairly adamant that he didn't sacrifice any money also.

Pathetic?

Lol

Wrong as usual. He didnt take a steep pay cut. It was a restructure that turned guaranteed money into bonus. He is still set to make 30.5 mil the next two years. All it did was lessen the cap hit.

The posters here have more freedom and will not tolerate your nonsense. Thus, the phony "nice" you claim to have.

Well, they've tolerated you bringing this stupid little beef you have with me and other posters over here, so I doubt they will care if I treat you accordingly.

You have a chance here to start fresh. I'll play nice with those who can do so themselves.

Well, they've tolerated you bringing this stupid little beef you have with me and other posters over here, so I doubt they will care if I treat you accordingly.

You have a chance here to start fresh. I'll play nice with those who can do so themselves.

You've already had a few Veterans here tell you that you are wrong.

Wrong as usual. He didnt take a steep pay cut. It was a restructure that turned guaranteed money into bonus. He is still set to make 30.5 mil the next two years. All it did was lessen the cap hit.

He was due 27.5 mil guaranteed for next season if he was on the roster.

He is now only guaranteed 15 million.

You stand corrected