Sources: Chasm between Bills coaches, front office on Tyrod

I'm not putting too much into this. There have been so many reports about the Bills being dysfunctional over the past year and during the coaching search but they did manage to get a top coaching candidate and he has put together a very good staff (on paper).

Over the past few weeks I've read an interview with Lynn and his interview made it seem like Rex was checked out as a coach and really the root of a lot of problems over the past two years.

I'm taking the wait and see approach with this new staff. I didn't understand the Rex hire and tried to give him a chance but his personality as a HC just wasn't something I personally like.

• Replies 538
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who cares... we could have rivers or brees and we're still not winning this division. Sorry.

This is nonsense. Brees or Rivers would eat defenses alive with our run game.

They actually know how to play the position.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

This is nonsense. Brees or Rivers would eat defenses alive with our run game.

They actually know how to play the position.

Too bad our defense and special teams aren't anywhere close to good enough.

This team has a lot more problems than just the QB.

Too bad our defense and special teams aren't anywhere close to good enough.

This team has a lot more problems than just the QB.

We won 7 games with Tyrod Taylor, if you don't think Brees or Rivers can elevate us to 3 more wins, then I am not sure what you are watching.

You don't think we could make the playoffs with Brees or Rivers? All I want to do is make the playoffs and give my self a chance.

They have bigger cap hits than Taylor.

With the number of holes we have, I don't see how either of those guys are going to guide this team into the playoffs when our defense remains awful and they have no one to throw the ball to.

Neither guy has proven capable of carrying a team on their own for the last several seasons. Why on earth would that suddenly change here?

Edited by jrober38

We won 7 games with Tyrod Taylor, if you don't think Brees or Rivers can elevate us to 3 more wins, then I am not sure what you are watching.

Right. We won 7 games with Taylor on a $6.9 mil cap hit.

How are we going to field a team with Rivers and Brees counting $20 and $19 mil against the cap respectively?

How is a team with holes at WR (x2), RT, SS, FS, WLB, CB, K and no depth anywhere on the depth chart going to field a competent roster with $14 mil in cap space remaining?

Edited by jrober38

How are we going to field a team with Rivers and Brees counting $20 and $19 mil against the cap respectively?

How is a team with holes at WR (x2), RT, SS, FS, WLB, CB, K and no depth anywhere on the depth chart going to field a competent roster with $14 mil in cap space remaining?

Because closing those holes and not having a starting quality QB won't matter. You'll finish 6-10 with a QB who costs $1/m year but be at cap limit because you spent it elsewhere but no way to get them the ball, or have a turn over machine like EJ at QB.

You have figured it out. Bills are not anywhere close to a playoff team, this is a year they need to use wisely.

They have bigger cap hits than Taylor.

With the number of holes we have, I don't see how either of those guys are going to guide this team into the playoffs when our defense remains awful and they have no one to throw the ball to.

Neither guy has proven capable of carrying a team on their own for the last several seasons. Why on earth would that suddenly change here?

3 million difference in cap hit with Brees, 4 million difference with Rivers. That's the difference of cutting Corey Graham.

You have figured it out. Bills are not anywhere close to a playoff team, this is a year they need to use wisely.

I agree.

Accordingly I don't see the need to flush draft picks down the toilet on unprepared rookies.

Blow the team up, let Cardale sink or swim, and work on fixing any of the other problem areas we have. Then go all in on a QB next year and feel good about it knowing they might actually have a good enough roster around them to support their development.

Drafting a rookie who is unprepared, and putting them in a situation where they either show they have it or they don't, seems like a really good way to waste yet another 1st round draft pick.

60 million in cap space next year...

3 million difference in cap hit with Brees, 4 million difference with Rivers. That's the difference of cutting Corey Graham.

Yeah, $3 or $4 mil, or 20% of our available cap room.

As I said before, our cap space would drop to about $15 mil, of which $5 mil is allocated to the rookie class. That leaves us with about $10 million to fill out the roster with actual NFL players, which isn't going to happen.

The Bills aren't going anywhere with Taylor, and they're not going anywhere with Brees or Rivers.

Blow the team up and rebuild from the ground up. Don't search for another far fetched band aide that we'll regret in 12 months.

I agree.

Accordingly I don't see the need to flush draft picks down the toilet on unprepared rookies.

Blow the team up, let Cardale sink or swim, and work on fixing any of the other problem areas we have. Then go all in on a QB next year and feel good about it knowing they might actually have a good enough roster around them to support their development.

Drafting a rookie who is unprepared, and putting them in a situation where they either show they have it or they don't, seems like a really good way to waste yet another 1st round draft pick.

I think we agree on the problem. My solution does not demand a 1st round QB start. He has to win the job in camp. If he can't beat Cardale and another QB in camp he sits.

The Chargers roster might be better than the Bills right now and they won 5 games with Rivers at the helm. I seriously doubt the Bills would have been 3 wins better if you replaced Tyrod with Rivers last year.

60 million in cap space next year...

Yup.

And only like 15 NFL caliber players under contract.

I think we agree on the problem. My solution does not demand a 1st round QB start. He has to win the job in camp. If he can't beat Cardale and another QB in camp he sits.

I don't like any of the QBs in this draft. For that reason I don't see the point in throwing away a pick on a QB when there are so many other quality players available who can become legit building blocks for this franchise for the next 5+ years.

I'd love to see the Bills cut Taylor, cut McCoy, cut Kyle and trade Watkins. Commit to being one of the 2-3 worse teams in the NFL next year while clearing a boat load of cap space, and then go all in on a legit blue chip QB prospect next year. If there isn't one available, commit to being really bad yet again and draft a guy in 2019.

Get a skill position player this year and find your QB next year or the year after. Don't repeat all the same mistakes we made in 2013 when we talked ourselves into picking EJ because we were so desperate for a QB.

If you want to find cap space, restructure Hughes, Glenn, Clay and Mccoy. That would save upwards of 15 million on cap.

Also, I believe even with rookie salaries considered we have over $20 million available to sign FA's.

Yup.

And only like 15 NFL caliber players under contract.

I don't like any of the QBs in this draft. For that reason I don't see the point in throwing away a pick on a QB when there are so many other quality players available who can become legit building blocks for this franchise for the next 5+ years.

I'd love to see the Bills cut Taylor, cut McCoy, cut Kyle and trade Watkins. Commit to being one of the 2-3 worse teams in the NFL next year while clearing a boat load of cap space, and then go all in on a legit blue chip QB prospect next year. If there isn't one available, commit to being really bad yet again and draft a guy in 2019.

Get a skill position player this year and find your QB next year or the year after. Don't repeat all the same mistakes we made in 2013 when we talked ourselves into picking EJ because we were so desperate for a QB.

I think this draft class is far better than many think. I think Mahomes, as Waldman said, has an upside as high as any QB in the last few years. Trubisky has a bit of the Matt Ryan traits and I assume Shanahan will pounce.

Chad Kelly is knuckle head but worth a 6th round flyer. Davis Webb would be interesting late as well.

This is not 2013.