Football Outsiders annual awards - lots of Bills tidbits

Preston could improve a bit in the new scheme. I don't get why people hate on him so much.

The LBs will be fun to watch in camp

I think it's because fans will never truly know exactly what a players role was on each play in Rex's defense. Heck a lot of the players didn't know! Rex's D is not about stats, sometimes engaging an O-lineman is more valuable than making the tackle. Which leaves other LB's, such as Alexander, to make the tackle or have an easier path the the QB. It's about doing the dirty work that doesn't show on a stat line, therefore bad stats = he suck's...

Edited by ricojes

I think it's because fans will never truly know exactly what a players role was on each play in Rex's defense. Heck a lot of the players didn't know! Rex's D is not about stats, sometimes engaging an O-lineman is more valuable than making the tackle. Which leaves other LB's, such as Alexander, to make the tackle or have an easier path the the QB. It's about doing the dirty work that doesn't show on a stat line, therefore bad stats = he suck's...

This is true, and in my opinion the reason Alexander had such a big year. Rex's scheme is about the d-line and some LB's basically "falling on the grenade" so the stats funnel into the late rusher/blitzer. Most of the time, the best players barely show up on the stat sheet, with a couple of guys on cleanup duty to collect the tackles (and a surprise pro bowl nod)...

And misdirection, but that works less and less each time offenses see it.

Preston could improve a bit in the new scheme. I don't get why people hate on him so much.

The LBs will be fun to watch in camp

Leveon Bell and Jay Ajayi come to mind. That Steelers game was really rough to watch.

Apparently a lot of people are still high on the Bills...ranked 4th in the surprise super bowl team next year at 6.9%

The NFL is quickly becoming a league where a QB catches and throws a 8 yard hand-off on target in two seconds.

A much distant second is a defense consisting of two very tall d-linemen, an edge rusher, and then 8 coverage men.

The Bills have an edge rusher.