Bucs offer Glennon over 7m/year to be backup QB

No, it's you who's being sneaky. Pretty much nobody actually expects Tyrod to stay here for five years. Best bet is two.

And if he stays for two, he'd be making $40.5 million - a guarantee that he is apparently unwilling to give up - for those two years. Which again is not the 20th best. Instead it puts him at $20.25 mill per year. And at that rate, the five closest QBs are Brady, Matt Ryan, Cam Newton, Philip Rivers and Eli Manning.

He does not belong with that group in any form or fashion.

Arguing that paying Glennon like RGIII or Chase Daniel somehow would support the idea of paying Tyrod like Brady, Ryan, Newton, Rivers or Eli Manning simply doesn't make sense.

https://overthecap.com/position/quarterback/

Let's add some perspective to QB salaries. Keep in mind the most recent FA is ALWAYS more valued (hence the Cousins contract). He's right in line with the guys that he's like (Tannehill, Dalton, Smith) but not tied to TT for is long. His contract isn't out of whack at all. If you want to use 2 years for Tyrod go back to when ALL of those QB contracts were signed and see what the cap hit would be if released after 2 years. It's a lot more than his.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

https://overthecap.com/position/quarterback/

Let's add some perspective to QB salaries. Keep in mind the most recent FA is ALWAYS more valued (hence the Cousins contract). He's right in line with the guys that he's like (Tannehill, Dalton, Smith) but not tied to TT for is long. His contract isn't out of whack at all.

Yes, that all makes sense. What the move on from TT people are saying is that TT was a bargain in 2015. He is no longer that in 2017 if we pick up the option. And there is a HUGE jump in salary for Tyrod from when he first came here to 2017. In 2015 he signed a contract that was a MAX OF 7 million for 2 years or 3.5 million a year. Picking up the option for 2 years means more than 30 million. That's less weapons on offense and less weapons on defense.

The keep Tyrod people (not you Kirby) often justify the money, then set it aside and forget that they now have LESS MONEY for the rest of the team.

Yes, that all makes sense. What the move on from TT people are saying is that TT was a bargain in 2015. He is no longer that in 2017 if we pick up the option. And there is a HUGE jump in salary for Tyrod from when he first came here to 2017. In 2015 he signed a contract that was a MAX OF 7 million for 2 years or 3.5 million a year. Picking up the option for 2 years means more than 30 million. That's less weapons on offense and less weapons on defense.

The keep Tyrod people (not you Kirby) often justify the money, then set it aside and forget that they now have LESS MONEY for the rest of the team.

I agree that certainly factors in (heavily). At the same time other players salaries are rising too leaving the Bills with a tougher cap situation. With that being said it opens up some in 2018 again. The Bills (strangely) have been blessed without having many bad contracts. One thing that I give Whaley and company credit for is the guys that they paid were their best players. They haven't overpaid for average players (which is where teams get burned). That was the Derrick Dockery, Langston Walker Bills.

In terms of the QBs if you would have released any of those guys after 2 years the cap hit would average higher than that $40M. The guaranteed money would all be expedited. So as an example if Cutler would have been released 2 years into his deal it would have been like $53M over that span. I don't know how his restructure worked but it isn't uncommon if you release a player 2 years into an extension that the cap number is high.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

How's this:

QB - Tyrod

RB - Shady

LT - Glenn

LG - Incognito

C - Wood

RG - Miller

RT - Wagner ($7M per with a $4M cap hit)

TE - Clay

WR1 - Sammy

WR2 - Corey Davis (1st round)

Slot - Andrew Hawkins ($3M per with a $2M cap hit)

DE - Hughes

DT - Dareus

DT - KW

DE - Shaq

OLB - Preston Brown

MLB - Ragland

OLB - Mychal Kendricks (trade 6th round pick)

CB - Verner ($7M per with $5M cap hit)

CB - Darby

S - Aaron Williams

S - Budda Baker (2nd round)

I like this lineup except replace Preston with Zach...

Seems like a lot when you have a starter already entrenched. This is another reason why TT's deal as a starter, if they pick it up, isn't a lot.

http://www.bucsnation.com/2017/3/2/14788460/buccaneers-offered-mike-glennon-over-7-million-per-year

My first thought too.

Both Glennon and Daniel get paid $7 million/year to be backups.

Guys from the Fran Tarkenton - Dan Fouts era must cry when they read what 2nd string QBs get paid today.

People are stupid if they don't notice that in the years since those "outdated payouts of other QBs" nobody has been put above the numbers Tyrod would collect as his average salary for two years of work except these 13 guys:

Andrew Luck

Carson Palmer

Drew Brees

Kirk Cousins

Joe Flacco

Aaron Rodgers

Russell Wilson

Ben Roethlisberger

Eli Manning

Philip Rivers

Cam Newton

Matt Ryan

Tom Brady

That's it. Those are the only guys who make more than Tyrod would make per year if he stays for two years as seems the most likely scenario if they keep him.

He is a lot of money. And again, he's Tyrod Taylor.

It isn't $15 mill per year.

If he stays five years, the whole contract, it's $18 mill per year.

If he stays two years, it's $20.5 mill per year.

Good research but TT's salary still doesn't scare me.

13 QBs (mostly on older contracts) will make more money. In other words, Tyrod will be paid as an average/mediocre starting QB which is what he is right now (passing and running skills combined).

As more QBs get new contracts - given typical QB salary inflation - Tyrod's ranking could drop lower down the list.

I get the opportunity cost thing - the more money we spend on TT, the less we have to spend elsewhere. But given the importance of the QB position, I don't want to pay less for a guy who brings less.

@charlesrobinson

Multiple #NFL sources are pegging the free agent contract of #Bucs QB Mike Glennon as expected to land between $14-$15 million per season.

Is there anywhere I can bet on him not getting this money? It's amazing how much crap that comes out before the draft and free agency.

Brock Osweiler is Tom Brady compared to Glennon. If a GM even tells his owner to consider paying him that much money, they should be fired on the spot.