Derek Boyko Named Vice President Of Communications

iommi

Let's go point by point:

1) The team is a joke off the field because it can't get any traction on it. And it seems as if each move the team makes (Shaq surgery/Ragland injured/Sammy Watkins surgery/Marcell suspension/Karlos cut, among the most recent) backfire on them.

2) Whaley's post-season press conference: It was mandated. And he was aware it was coming. In fact, he was nervous it was coming. In fact, had he addressed certain issues (and he is the one who chose not to, despite PR staff's requests), some of the issues could have been relieved. If PR staff asks and the GM says no, what to do?

3) The national media lambasted Whaley for seeming to know very little about the Bills operation he apparently oversees.

4) Because Whaley once again declined to address the Rex Ryan firing -- and he was requested numerous times -- the PR staff was left with no choice but to parade out Lynn without a net. Didn't help that others in the front office, Russ Brandon, namely, has washed his hands of the public oversight of the football operation does not help.

5) When have I said Scott was a "nice" guy. I said I respect the job that he did and he treated me professionally.

6) Yes, you add value to people by making their lives easier, and yet this is a franchise that appears to continually take the long road with too many missteps to mention, and no way to smooth over the obvious jagged edges.

7) There was little accountability in the final Wilson years. How does that reflect on the PR staff when those above them are attempting to fill the many pockets and vacuums of power. I think that reflects more poorly on those who were entrusted by Ralph to handle that responsibility with loyalty and foresight. Instead, they kept making inexplicable signings and draft-day moves and selections.

But of course, all this falls on Scott.

jw

Crazy thing is, people made fun of Rex Ryan winning the offseason.

And, it seems some will be more than content with the Bills having an NFL-leading PR staff, because that's what truly matters.

A few things.

1. After the Whaley "pirivvy" disaster, the bills did damage control with terry and Kim in two places. Kim called GR if I recall correctly, and I believe terry called the AP. It was no accident that the bills reached out to those two outlets. Assuming I'm right about the reporter who got the terry interview, I can see how some people would question John's view of this situation.

2. I am very close to someone who has been around the Bills on and off for about 30 years and who has worked regulalry with Berchtold during that time. In John's defense, he told me basically the same things that John has said here. Berchtold is a straight shooter and overall a good guy who can run hot and cold. But on the whole, if you treat him professionally he treats you the same way and will get you what you need.

3. The one additional thing I heard is that Berchtold could have worked a little better with the local media. The gist was, Chris Berman gets anything and everything, but the local guys generally get iced on what they want. Perhaps that has contributed to the bills longstanding battles with the locals. More on this later.

4. This firing is big news because it seemingly is the first dumping of a member of the old guard. To be clear, Berchtold had less than nothing to do with on field performance. But his firing suggests that no one - including the team president - is safe.

5. the firing is also interesting because it is possible there is a little palace intrigue going on here. Did Berchtold catch a bullet because of his responsibility for the messes in December? Or was Berchtold made the scapegoat for that? If it's the latter, it suggests more dysfunction inasmuch as a longtime employee just met the wheels on the bus, and may have been thrown there by someone seeking to avoid the same fate.

6. One thing that has been lost here is the importance of the pr staff in manipulating media. leaks aren't always bad things, and they often are by design. Sometimes the team wants certain things in the paper, e.g., they might want to plant a story that they are in on romo as leverage in a renegotiation with Tyrod. I question how well that was done with the locals over the years, who, as noted, seemingly didn't get as much as the nationals in terms of what they wanted.

7. The whole idea on this board lately of questioning the credibility of reporters is absurd. Believe it not, journalists have ethics -- strong ones at that --, and there are way too many posters who make negative assumptions about reporters in general simply because the posters disagree with what has been reported. We are very lucky to have someone like John share with us, and to have others contribute anonymously. Thank, John, for your insight and professionalism, and keep up the good work.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went to school with Derek and he's a fraternity brother. You won't meet a better dude, and he's been kicking ass with the Eagles for years. Bills are lucky to have him....

Now about how the Bills draft and gameplan......................

Vic Carucci on how the Bills are silencing Whaley ... McDermott will be the "one voice"

http://buffalonews.com/2017/03/01/bills-speaking-one-voice-sean-mcdermotts/

It is no accident that General Manager Doug Whaley, whose job description goes to the very heart of what this event is all about, is nowhere near reporters and photographers.

In a stark change from how things have operated since Whaley became GM in 2013, especially during the offseason, the Bills are making a concerted effort to speak with one voice: the head coach's.

And it isn't only for the Combine. This is apparently how the Bills plan to operate for the foreseeable future.