If the Bills intentional tank the season DW should be fired

its a ridiculous premise driven by the media who want Whaley gone because he is mean to them

No. you can get there by preparing a year or two early and gathering picks . allowing the Bills to maneuver up when the time is right.

Tanking is the stupidest thing i have ever heard. You lose the fan base and the revenue. Team like the Bills cannot afford to do that

I am not yelling at you NewEraCap

Tanking means you have lost control of the teams direction and are floundering at best.

we have been tanking for years, how'd that work out??

Preparing a year or two early just by gathering picks with hope that a team will be in position to pass up on a potentially great QB? The only time I really remember teams trading down out of a spot is if the QB class is suspect. Goff and wentz were both 2rd grade qbs on most lists up until a couple weeks before the draft. Rams traded out of rg3 because they had a QB they believed in and that they spent the 1st pick in the draft on. What other instances are teams trading out of the top 2? The chargers with Eli, but that was an ugly situation and they knew they he rivers or Big Ben either way.

They would lose money this year, no question. Pegula doesn't own this team to make money. I turkey believe he wants a to build a winning team. The way to do that is acquiring a stud QB. If they don't like the QBs in this draft and don't think tyrod can do it, the only other scenarios is see are Mccarran and Romo. One of which may die on the field this year. The other is a total unknown at this point. He looks ok. But is Mccarran a sure shot star? I'd probably lean towards no. If pegula really wants a QB, tanking MIGHT be the best way to do it. I'm not saying it is. But in his eyes it might be. He landed eichel doing it.

We haven't been tanning for years. The highest we've picked it 3rd and are usually picking in the 9-13 range. Thats not tanking. Just sucking

I'm just saying that it's not a crazy thought. If we did tank this year and do get Darnold or whichever turns out to be the best QB in the class.....then we'll all be very happy that we tanked. I can promise you that. I can't promise that we get the best QB and that's your argument.....which I totally get. But there are different ways to look at things. we won't know which is right or wrong for a few years.

Most likely?

I remember watching an ESPNU show after the 2012 draft and the question was which surefire superstar QB was going to go #1 overall in the 2013 draft?

Logan Thomas or Matt Barkley

Both were further into their playing careers than......Darnold, for instance.

Things change.

That's not to say A QB won't emerge.......sometimes a Cam Newton comes out of nowhere..........but the landscape can change quickly.......the NEXT YEAR is usually going to be the better QB class. :flirt:

At this point in time, Darnold is most likely the first QB taken. At this point.....he is. Things change. Yes.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They would lose money this year, no question. Pegula doesn't own this team to make money. I turkey believe he wants a to build a winning team. The way to do that is acquiring a stud QB. If they don't like the QBs in this draft and don't think tyrod can do it, the only other scenarios is see are Mccarran and Romo. One of which may die on the field this year. The other is a total unknown at this point. He looks ok. But is Mccarran a sure shot star? I'd probably lean towards no.

Romo is a waste of 16M when he goes on IR after Mills lets a DE knock him out. If your gonna start McCarron you might as well just pay Tyrod because of what your gonna have to give up to get him from the Bengals, also gonna need to invest in a really good new RT if Tyrod leaves.

Tyrod stays we can spend a little less on an RT and you have a bridge QB to hold the fort while you develop Cardale, draft the defensive players your missing, and a WR or 2 so the QB you draft in 2018 to be the franchise has weapons at his disposal that have been in the system a year.

Romo is a waste of 16M when he goes on IR after Mills lets a DE knock him out. If your gonna start McCarron you might as well just pay Tyrod because of what your gonna have to give up to get him from the Bengals, also gonna need to invest in a really good new RT if Tyrod leaves.

Tyrod stays we can spend a little less on an RT and you have a bridge QB to hold the fort while you develop Cardale, draft the defensive players your missing, and a WR or 2 so the QB you draft in 2018 to be the franchise has weapons at his disposal that have been in the system a year.

I'm not saying that I want Mccarran or Romo, but those could be likely targets if the bills are looking to upgrade the QB position.romo is definitely better. He's also likely to miss most of the season, I agree. But he's an upgrade of healthy. We don't know if Mccarran is good enough. We know tyrod isn't. Whether or not we have to trade something for him doesn't matter. If the FO likes what they see in him, go get him. Not saying I do. I'd give him a 20% chance of being "they guy" to lead a team to a title in the NFL.

I agree, I'd rather wait and draft a QB next year. But we don't know what direction the FO has decided. There are many options. Not saying all of them are good or the right options. But options. Mccarran and Romo are most definitely options

You know what's sad?

Bills fans are so accustomed to losing that many of us are fine with losing for a few more years, in the hopes that some magic day the "rebuilding" will be complete. What have they been doing for the past 5 years?

I say no. Let's just have fun now. Sign Romo and let's go try to win 10-11 games and get into the playoffs.

Our playoff foes: Raiders, one of Steelers/Ravens/Bengals, Texans... Chiefs

Outside of the Patriots none of those teams is really scary, especially if we have a healthy Romo/Sammy/Shady combo and a competent defense.

This team could go a couple rounds deep into the playoffs. Get in and who knows what could happen. What if the Raiders knock off NE and you play them in the AFC Title game?

What if you get the chance to knock off NE in the playoffs? It's house money at that point.

I just want some excitement. If they lose a playoff game to NE in Foxborough then the season was awesome, exciting, and fun until mid January. Right now the season ends around October 31st.

When does this become fun again? You know the Pegulas are wondering when the fun part of owning a sports team starts.

Edited by TheFunPolice

At this point in time, Darnold is most likely the first QB taken. At this point.....he is. Things change. Yes.

I think Robert Woods was projected to go #5 overall in that mock draft. :lol:

i'm not sure you understand my point.........projecting Darnold as #1 overall at this point is like projecting a 60 degree day in Buffalo next Feb 18 because it's going to be that way tomorrow( :thumbsup: )..........maybe......but history says NOPE. :flirt:

When history says NOPE.......what does that say about likelihoods? Tank for NOPE! :lol:

I think Robert Woods was projected to go #5 overall in that mock draft. :lol:

i'm not sure you understand my point.........projecting Darnold as #1 overall at this point is like projecting a 60 degree day in Buffalo next Feb 18 because it's going to be that way tomorrow( :thumbsup: )..........maybe......but history says NOPE. :flirt:

When history says NOPE.......what does that say about likelihoods? Tank for NOPE! :lol:

I totally understand your point. This is all you ever do. Not sure why I even reply to your posts, or even read them. You're strictly here to get whatever frustrations life has dealt to you out of your system. You just love to nit pick every post. Everyone arguement has 2-3-4+ sides. On a message board it's all discussion. When projecting next years draft a year a way, the only way you can do this is by talking about what we know now. What we know NOW is Darnold is being viewed by most as the best QB in next years draft class. Yes, it could change. Darnold could suck or break his neck. Someone else could rise to the top and become the prize. Drafting the prize is what the FO MAY have their eyes on. I have no idea what they thinking, but it's a definite possibility and many people understand why they would think that way. We haven't had a good QB in 20+ years.

I totally understand your point. This is all you ever do. Not sure why I even reply to your posts, or even read them. You're strictly here to get whatever frustrations life has dealt to you out of your system. You just love to nit pick every post. Everyone arguement has 2-3-4+ sides. On a message board it's all discussion. When projecting next years draft a year a way, the only way you can do this is by talking about what we know now. What we know NOW is Darnold is being viewed by most as the best QB in next years draft class. Yes, it could change. Darnold could suck or break his neck. Someone else could rise to the top and become the prize. Drafting the prize is what the FO MAY have their eyes on. I have no idea what they thinking, but it's a definite possibility and many people understand why they would think that way. We haven't had a good QB in 20+ years.

The point is more saying don't take one this year (as some have) because what we "know now" is the 2018 class and Darnold specifically will be good is a foolish strategy.

Edited by GunnerBill

I'm on board with this. The defense is to stacked to be doing a tank with Cardale starting, if this is his guy.

DW is a waste of GM imo.

Just say no to the tank.

Tank wouldn't be good for anyone right now

I'm not saying that I want Mccarran or Romo, but those could be likely targets if the bills are looking to upgrade the QB position.romo is definitely better. He's also likely to miss most of the season, I agree. But he's an upgrade of healthy. We don't know if Mccarran is good enough. We know tyrod isn't. Whether or not we have to trade something for him doesn't matter. If the FO likes what they see in him, go get him. Not saying I do. I'd give him a 20% chance of being "they guy" to lead a team to a title in the NFL.

I agree, I'd rather wait and draft a QB next year. But we don't know what direction the FO has decided. There are many options. Not saying all of them are good or the right options. But options. Mccarran and Romo are most definitely options

We dont know Tyrod isnt. I bet he takes a step forward next year and progresses. Buffalo is dumb enough to let Tyrod walk. Not upgrade the RT, let Cardale start next year, and bring in McCown to back him up.

The point is more saying don't take one this year (as some have) because what we "know now" is the 2018 class and Darnold specifically will be good is a foolish strategy.

It's a foolish strategy IF the FO thinks that one of the QBs on the board when we pick is a stud and we pass in him. We have no idea what our evaluations of this years QBs looks like. If they pass on a qb, it's reasonable to say they don't think he has IT. If that's the case and they have extremely high evaluations of other QBs in next years draft then it makes sense to tank, in SOME people's eyes. It's not THE ANSWER. It's an option.

I'm not saying that's what I want the Bills to do. I've said all along whichever direction they decide to go, I won't be upset. We're in a bind and they know more than I do. What I do stand by is the thinking that IF acquiring a top notch qb prospect is their priority number 1, then there's a good chance that next years draft is the best option imo. I'm not a big fan of any of the QBs in this draft and there a multiple teams that pick ahead of us that are in need of a qb. Meaning, there's a chance the top 1-2 or even 3 QBs are off the board when we pick. If we can't land one of the best QBs in this draft. Then next years draft is our best bet. Considering next years schedule and our current cap situation paired with the number of Free Agents we have, I think there's a good chance our record is worse than last years. Coaching makes a HUGE difference, but sometimes the big strides don't come til year 2.

In sum, the draft is the best most logical opportunity to acquire a potential franchise qb. If the best QBs in this years draft aren't available to us (or if the FO isn't a fan this years QBs), then the next best opportunity to acquire one will be next years draft. In order to get our pick of the litter we must pick towards the top of the board. If the FO chooses that to be their agenda, I can't really argue it. Some others can, that's fine. IMO, we'll just be spinning the wheels and missing out on The QBs we deem the best in the draft because we wanted to make the playoffs with a qb that can't get it done (especially with next years schedule). I want to win a super bowl. I don't want to make the playoffs. Acquiring the best qb is the best way to accomplish that imo and it's probably that we won't be able to do that if we end up 4-12 or better (unless we trade multiple 1st rd and other picks).

We dont know Tyrod isnt. I bet he takes a step forward next year and progresses. Buffalo is dumb enough to let Tyrod walk. Not upgrade the RT, let Cardale start next year, and bring in McCown to back him up.

I believe that tyrod will never lead us to a SB win. Most people in the world would agree with that. You don't. Fine. Time will tell

I believe that tyrod will never lead us to a SB win. Most people in the world would agree with that. You don't. Fine. Time will tell

Put Tyrod on the Broncos team last year, they go to the AFC championship at least. Put Tyrod on the Texans same outcome. The Bills defense is nowhere close to competing and hoping for a QB to magically take you there makes no sense. Might as well build the defense through the draft, some WRs, and draft whatever QB you think is franchise material when he comes around. Cutting Tyrod for a QB that costs 6M less and plays worse doesnt do much but give us worse football to watch on Sundays.

Put Tyrod on the Broncos team last year, they go to the AFC championship at least. Put Tyrod on the Texans same outcome. The Bills defense is nowhere close to competing and hoping for a QB to magically take you there makes no sense. Might as well build the defense through the draft, some WRs, and draft whatever QB you think is franchise material when he comes around. Cutting Tyrod for a QB that costs 6M less and plays worse doesnt do much but give us worse football to watch on Sundays.

We don't have denvers defense from 2 years ago, you're right. We have little cap room. We have many free agents, including 3 pro bowlers and lots of DL depth. We have zero good safeties. We currently have no idea if we have even 1 good LB. Ragland is an unknown at this point. And we're talking about building an all one defense. It's an uphill battle......especially if we're paying a meh QB.

And I highly doubt tyrod would have led the Texans past the patriots and into the afc championship last year. Tyrod has consistently failed at sustaining scoring drives in the 4th quarter when needed. He's done it a few times, but I don't have very much confidence in him when the game is on the line. For good reason

Edited by NewEra

How many QBs* can 'lead' a team to a SB win?

To me, probably just Brady and Rodgers. The rest of the QBs in the league depend on having a halfway decent defense, and a competent running game, at the very least.

How many QBs can consistantly string together scoring drives when the game is on the line? That's how I see "lead" a team. having a QB that you can have the utmost confidence in that they can get it done. Some here think tyrod can do it. I do not. I think he's a great guy and I root for him. I have his jersey. He's exciting and has tools. He just hasn't shown me that he's good enough to lead us to a super bowl in the next 2-3 years especially considering our cap situation and current talent level. If we keep him, I'll be just as excited as I always am. I'll tell all my co workers the bills are going to win the super bowl. And we'll probably end up picking in the 7-14 range.

And I highly doubt tyrod would have led the Texans past the patriots and into the afc championship last year. Tyrod has consistently failed at sustaining scoring drives in the 4th quarter when needed. He's done it a few times, but I don't have very much confidence in him when the game is on the line. For good reason

Did you watch that Texans game? Tyrod could have done better. Texans have more weapons at WR then the Bills do. Beat the Pats defense up with WRs that wouldnt get past WR3 on the Texans depth chart.

Did you watch that Texans game? Tyrod could have done better. Texans have more weapons at WR then the Bills do. Beat the Pats defense up with WRs that wouldnt get past WR3 on the Texans depth chart.

Yes I watched the game. I still have my doubts about him beating Brady and the pats. You think he would've beaten the pats. You have more confidence in him than I do

Yes I watched the game. I still have my doubts about him beating Brady and the pats. You think he would've beaten the pats. You have more confidence in him than I do

indeed. As long as he doesnt go to the Browns next year He will have a starting job for a few years and a decent career.

indeed. As long as he doesnt go to the Browns next year He will have a starting job for a few years and a decent career.

He might. Andy dalton has had and will have a solid career too. And if the bengals can build an all time defense, he can win a super bowl. But until he plays on a team with an all time defense, the results will be the same and they don't include a super bowl. I believe it's easier to get a hall of fame QB than it is to build an all time defense. In my lifetime I would consider the bears, bucs, ravens, broncos and Seahawks being "all time" defenses. Possibly the cracked out LT led giants defenses. Some may rate other defenses up there in that category of "all time" but those are the defenses that I've seen that I would regard in that category. That's 6 defenses in the last 30+ years and none of them repeated. There will be at least double the amount of hall of fame QBs during the same time period. Those defense all clicked at the right time for 1 season. Many remained great but many fell apart within a couple seasons. Great QBs usually keep their team in contention for a longer period of time. All I truly want as a bills fan is a championship. Once we get one, I can die a happy man. Til then, that's the only thing I care about. I believe a HoF caliber QB gives us a better chance and is easier to acquire than an all time defense is (and is much easier to keep)

Preparing a year or two early just by gathering picks with hope that a team will be in position to pass up on a potentially great QB? The only time I really remember teams trading down out of a spot is if the QB class is suspect. Goff and wentz were both 2rd grade qbs on most lists up until a couple weeks before the draft. Rams traded out of rg3 because they had a QB they believed in and that they spent the 1st pick in the draft on. What other instances are teams trading out of the top 2? The chargers with Eli, but that was an ugly situation and they knew they he rivers or Big Ben either way.

They would lose money this year, no question. Pegula doesn't own this team to make money. I turkey believe he wants a to build a winning team. The way to do that is acquiring a stud QB. If they don't like the QBs in this draft and don't think tyrod can do it, the only other scenarios is see are Mccarran and Romo. One of which may die on the field this year. The other is a total unknown at this point. He looks ok. But is Mccarran a sure shot star? I'd probably lean towards no. If pegula really wants a QB, tanking MIGHT be the best way to do it. I'm not saying it is. But in his eyes it might be. He landed eichel doing it.

We haven't been tanning for years. The highest we've picked it 3rd and are usually picking in the 9-13 range. Thats not tanking. Just sucking

I'm just saying that it's not a crazy thought. If we did tank this year and do get Darnold or whichever turns out to be the best QB in the class.....then we'll all be very happy that we tanked. I can promise you that. I can't promise that we get the best QB and that's your argument.....which I totally get. But there are different ways to look at things. we won't know which is right or wrong for a few years.

I dont want to tank for anyone. I do want us to be smart about draft picks this year and maneuver while thinking towards nexts years drafting of a QB. Get as much trade leverage as possible !

And I agree the view could shift for next draft by the time another College season is done with. But i think Bills should be prepared to draft their QB in the next two years while keeping TT for 3.

And keep our toes crossed Cardale just happens to flip the Big Switch before his rookie contract is over !

I dont want to tank for anyone. I do want us to be smart about draft picks this year and maneuver while thinking towards nexts years drafting of a QB. Get as much trade leverage as possible !

And I agree the view could shift for next draft by the time another College season is done with. But i think Bills should be prepared to draft their QB in the next two years while keeping TT for 3.

And keep our toes crossed Cardale just happens to flip the Big Switch before his rookie contract is over !

I hear ya. I can get behind that. I'm just saying that if they do decide to tank, I understand why. Good things can come from tanking. It's not guarantee that it works, but those that say it can't work are wrong. It can. It's just not a sure thing. All this being said, I really think we're going to go after Romo, unless they really like a couple+ of the QBs in this draft