The only Mahomes thread you need

Estro

Some said Anthony Lynn was just a running backs, pound the ball coach. He probably got passed over here because he was on Rex's staff. But if the Chargers who already have Rivers invest in a 1st round QB while our new "aggressive" coach is focused on defensive scheme fits for his zone defense, it will again show the Pegulas to be clueless in hiring.

Pegula's are 0-6 in hires so far with McDermott too soon to call. But the Tyrod Taylor extension is a huge red flag and passing on a top QB prospect will be another for me.

Based on the prospects in the class I would not be surprised to see any of the teams with aging vets take shots in the first couple rounds. That group includes Chargers, Saints, Cardinals, Giants, Steelers off the top of my head. All I know is that I, for one, am glad that you aren't in charge (and I'm sure that's a two-way street).

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Going into the season with only Cardale on the roster would have been one for me.

Who said we had to have just Cardale? Foles, Chase Daniel, Siemian all could have been looked into. You offer them the chance to start and we have no dead cap and the same or better QB play. The Tyrod extension reminds me of Marrone/Orton.

Based on the prospects in the class I would not be surprised to see any of the teams with aging vets take shots in the first couple rounds. That group includes Chargers, Saints, Cardinals, Giants, Steelers off the top of my head. All I know is that I, for one, am glad that you aren't in charge (and I'm sure that's a two-way street).

We need a real GM. That is obvious and the Pegula's management style doesn't work. No accountability and the fans have to guess who is making the picks.

Who said we had to have just Cardale? Foles, Chase Daniel, Siemian all could have been looked into. You offer them the chance to start and we have no dead cap and the same or better QB play. The Tyrod extension reminds me of Marrone/Orton.

So you think that those options weren't considered or looked into? Also, at the time of the restructure none of the players you suggested were free agents. Are we trying to give away more of our limited draft assets, or did you have some other plan for what to offer their teams?

Edited by BuffaloHokie13

So you think that those options weren't considered or looked into? Also, at the time of the restructure none of the players you suggested were free agents. Are we trying to give away more of our limited draft assets, or did you have some other plan for what to offer their teams?

Foles became a free agent and it was understood that would happen. I would much rather have Foles at 6 million then Tyrod at 10 this year then 18 million next year.

Tyrod's restructure was signed on March 8, Nick Foles was released on March 9.

That's fine if you believe that Tyrod is way better than Foles. He is not. The point is that it appears we have a head coach who is operating out of fear more than anything. No reason to panic and give away the store for Tyrod level QB play.

That's fine if you believe that Tyrod is way better than Foles. He is not. The point is that it appears we have a head coach who is operating out of fear more than anything. No reason to panic and give away the store for Tyrod level QB play.

So you're actively choosing to ignore that Foles was not a free agent at the time that Tyrod's deal was agreed upon. Okay, carry on.

Sounds like you're the one panicking. You'd force your team to draft a QB from a terrible class.

Hopefully, the Bills have learned from their past and don't make that mistake again. They should be valuing these guys as late 2nd/early 3rd rounders at best.

So you're actively choosing to ignore that Foles was not a free agent at the time that Tyrod's deal was agreed upon. Okay, carry on.

That's the problem with non-visionary leadership. McDermott wanted a veteran QB and used his influence to get one with little thought about the cap implications. It looks like panic to non-Bills fans I have spoken to.

Anyway, enough on McDermott. Back to Mahomes...

Sounds like you're the one panicking. You'd force your team to draft a QB from a terrible class.

Hopefully, the Bills have learned from their past and don't make that mistake again. They should be valuing these guys as late 2nd/early 3rd rounders at best.

The Bills fans saying it's a terrible class often belong to CoT. Funny that.

That's the problem with non-visionary leadership. McDermott wanted a veteran QB and used his influence to get one with little thought about the cap implications. It looks like panic to non-Bills fans I have spoken to.

The problem is that you have somehow convinced yourself that any move that doesn't align with what you would do is non-visionary. Most non-Bills fans I know thought they would be crazy to let Tyrod go even at his inflated cap number because there was nothing better available, and after the restructure they felt the team was in a good position to take their time, evaulate, and bring in a prospect they like to take over on a less pressure driven timeline.

I don't think any of them ar better than Tyrod.

FOLES- Had one good fluke year in Philly before the Rams gave him a deal. Sucked after that and bounced around since.

DANIELS- Very meh in for Smith.

SIEMIEN- Didn't he get benched for Lynch? Wasn't impressed really with his work.

All the guys you mentioned are nothing more than backups. Keep Tyrod on the cheap and get Mahomes or someone in the draft.

Edited by GhostsofBillsPast

I don't think it's a terrible class--I think it's a class where you need to know what traits can be developed vs. what traits cannot.

This makes no sense.

If you're a new HC, and you have a guy in the fold that has proven that he can lead an offense to a top-30%-of-the-NFL finish in points scored, then why wouldn't you try to keep that guy in the fold at a reasonable rate while you look for your long-term solution?

As a new HC, you don't get much of a grace period to product results. Taken in the context of who is/was available to them at the position, it looks like the exact opposite of panic.

The problem is that you have somehow convinced yourself that any move that doesn't align with what you would do is non-visionary. Most non-Bills fans I know thought they would be crazy to let Tyrod go even at his inflated cap number because there was nothing better available, and after the restructure they felt the team was in a good position to take their time, evaulate, and bring in a prospect they like to take over on a less pressure driven timeline.

You seem very interested in defending every move that this group makes. What has anyone done in this group to inspire such confidence?

I felt it was a knife edge 50/50 call on his old number. It was an absolute no-brainer to bring him back on the renegotiation. I'd rather have Tyrod on this deal than Foles of Siemian.

It's obvious, man. The media is trying to force-feed us Trubisky and Kizer as first-rounders. That's a bad sign.

Teams are going to overdraft these guys, as usual. I just hope the Bills don't panick and make that mistake again. They need good starters in the 1st and 2nd.

I don't think it's a terrible class--I think it's a class where you need to know what traits can be developed vs. what traits cannot.

This makes no sense.

If you're a new HC, and you have a guy in the fold that has proven that he can lead an offense to a top-30%-of-the-NFL finish in points scored, then why wouldn't you try to keep that guy in the fold at a reasonable rate while you look for your long-term solution?

As a new HC, you don't get much of a grace period to product results. Taken in the context of who is/was available to them at the position, it looks like the exact opposite of panic.

That's the main issue I have. Of course the coach is going to want the best veteran QB he can get. But that's short-term thinking with a non-playoff roster. We need to have a real GM who can execute a real strategy that doesn't just look at today but the next few years as well. This is especially true when the team won't make the playoffs. We need to do everything we can to become competitive in the near future and the Tyrod deal hurts us big time next year.

It's obvious, man. The media is trying to force-feed us Trubisky and Kizer as first-rounders. That's a bad sign.

Teams are going to overdraft these guys, as usual. I just hope the Bills don't panick and make that mistake again. They need good starters in the 1st and 2nd.

Yes, that was what Levy-Jauron thought as well. Frankly, I am tired of this way of running a football team.

That's always the case.

We're looking at a class of guys that need more development than the average class. I hope the Bills don't overvalue one and miss out on a good starter. They should take their guy at the right spot.

Personally, I'm all for Mahomes, but not at the price of their only 1st or 2nd round pick. Late 2nd round pick (got from a trade) or 3rd round pick would be the right value for me.

Yes, that was what Levy-Jauron thought as well. Frankly, I am tired of this way of running a football team.

Right. You like the Nix/Whaley circa 2013 approach better...overdraft a project in the first round.

This is fun.

I absolutely hate Tyrod, but the majority of outsiders all said moving on from tyrod would be a mistake. So, I don't know what none bills fans you were talking about, but ranging from there is nothin better out there to the guy needs healthy weapons,people made a lot of excuses as to why he should STAY.

As far as a panic move? I don't think you understand what panic move means. They brought back the best option available at a reduced rate.

If anything Taylor's camp paniced and blinked first.

That being said, and believe me, I have been in your shoes and was desperate for a QB. I have done this is multiple QBs over the years.

I was always the first one who was sick and tired of waiting for the next best class to come along. However, in the same respect I have learned just because there is one guy you really covet doesn't mean that they are worth it, or that the class is instantly worth it.

Grasp at whatever straws you want at need. It's all part of this process.

However, stop creating false narratives

That's always the case.

We're looking at a class of guys that need more development than the average class. I hope the Bills don't overvalue one and miss out on a good starter. They should take their guy at the right spot.

Personally, I'm all for Mahomes, but not at the price of their only 1st or 2nd round pick. Late 2nd round pick (got from a trade) or 3rd round pick would be the right value for me.

Right. You like the Nix/Whaley circa 2013 approach better...overdraft a project in the first round.

This is fun.

If you think Mahomes and EJ are similar level prospects then that is fair. I do not. Mahomes has a chance to be absolutely special.

Edited by jeffismagic