The only Mahomes thread you need

Estro

I think Kizer has Bears written all over him.

I could see that too. My thinking was (if QBs are even a hot commodity early) Tru goes to them, with the 49ers taking Watson and the Jets taking a running back like Fournette, depending on how they feel with their QB situation. They need someone to replace Forte when he finally hangs it up. This would leave us to choose from Mahomes/Kizer.

Of course, all of these teams have picked up journeymen. None of them could take one. This will be a very interesting draft to watch.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could see that too. My thinking was (if QBs are even a hot commodity early) Tru goes to them, with the 49ers taking Watson and the Jets taking a running back like Fournette, depending on how they feel with their QB situation. They need someone to replace Forte when he finally hangs it up. This would leave us to choose from Mahomes/Kizer.

Of course, all of these teams have picked up journeymen. None of them could take one. This will be a very interesting draft to watch.

I can't see the Jets going RB, especially at 6. They know they are rebuilding from the ground floor up, a RB is a "we are a piece or two away" pick. I do think there's a decent chance Carolina takes a RB, they've valued RB early before and have stated they want to save the pounding on Cam. I believe Mixon is the wild card at RB that's really going to move things around. Talent wise he would likely be the first guy off the board, but since teams know he's very likely not going in the first it could allow them to wait on the other guys too. I also wouldn't be shocked to see Kamara go higher than people expect, the guy can play and tested off the charts.

Darnold is the wild card on these QBs as several teams could put off the QB pick thinking they'll be in a spot to get him next year (the Jets being the prime candidate of this approach), but the 49ers and Bears don't have any sort of young QB on the roster, I'd have to believe Shanahan wants a guy to groom and the Bears have been searching for the QB for generations.

I can't see the Jets going RB, especially at 6. They know they are rebuilding from the ground floor up, a RB is a "we are a piece or two away" pick.

My thinking is sort of like what we did when Rexy first showed up- got a journeyman QB in Cassel and got one of the best RBs in the league to help him out. They got McCown now, they might want to help him out.

Right now, QB-wise, I have:

Kizer to Chicago at 3

Trubisky to Cleveland at 12

Mahomes to Arizona at 13

Watson to Houston at 25

Cleveland gets paranoid about someone moving up to 10 to get Trub and gives us a 3rd to go from 12 to 10. Arizona gets worried about us moving down again and gives us a 4th to go from 12 to 13. Houston doesn't want to wait to get their guy and gives us a future 1st to go from 25 to 13. We still get one of Ross / Davis / Williams at 25 and get an extra 3rd / 4th / future 1st, loading up on DBs/linebackers with our other picks.

Kizer absolutely feels like the Bears. I've thought for a while that it feels like Watson - 49ers , Kizer - Bears, Trub - Jets with someone potentially moving up to 7-11 to get Mahomes ahead of the Browns pick at 12. The narrative has been written these QBs won't go top 10, but there's too big a need and plenty to like from each one, it's not like these teams are going to come out to the mock drafters and say "well actually, we want the QB".

I have a different take. I believe that the Bills will be in a position to select the first or second qb in this draft. It is unlikely that the Browns will use their first pick on a qb but it is quite possible that they do so with the 12th pick in the draft. Trubisky is their probable qb target.

If I were a gambler I would bet the house that the Bills do not use their first pick at the ten spot on a qb. They are freakishly afraid to use a high pick on a qb prospect. They are a lackluster organization that is comfortable staying within their small comfort zone. I say this with a great deal of disappointment.

You think Watson will fall that far?

Wow.

I don't see Watson getting past John Lynch.

Here's the thought process with Watson:

- I don't see SF going QB. I think with Solomon Thomas, Jamal Adams, Malik Hooker, and Marshon Lattimore on the board, there's too much elite defensive talent to pass. If they did take a QB, I think it would be Trubisky, because he fits what Shanahan likes to do.

- Chicago could go Watson, but since they've got Glennon in the fold, it would make the most sense to me that they'd pick the guy with the elite measurables and try to groom him to start

- Caldwell in Jax probably needs to win quickly, so adding a QB when they already have Bortles is likely a non-starter

- Tennesse has Mariota

- Jets are probably another team who's HC needs to win quickly, and having spent picks on Petty and Hackenberg, I figured they'd try to get an elite defensive playmaker at 6. Honestly, if there's a landing spot for Watson in the top 10, this is it IMO.

- SD would most likely take one of the safeties over a QB

- Carolina has Cam

- Cincinnati has Dalton and would probably pass

- Whaley has typically looked for bigger QBs, so if they chose to take one, it's likely either Kizer :sick: or Mahomes :thumbsup:

- NO is running out of time with Brees and continues to bleed on defense

- Cleveland leans toward the local guy with Trubisky

- Arizona takes the guy with the most upside in Mahomes

Then I couldn't find a landing spot for Watson in any of Philly, Indy, Baltimore, Washington, Tennessee, Tampa Bay, Denver, Detroit, or Miami, and I also couldn't find a team that Houston obviously needed to jump to get Watson. The closest that could potentially qualify would be NYG at 23.

I have a different take. I believe that the Bills will be in a position to select the first or second qb in this draft. It is unlikely that the Browns will use their first pick on a qb but it is quite possible that they do so with the 12th pick in the draft. Trubisky is their probable qb target.

If I were a gambler I would bet the house that the Bills do not use their first pick at the ten spot on a qb. They are freakishly afraid to use a high pick on a qb prospect. They are a lackluster organization that is comfortable staying within their small comfort zone. I say this with a great deal of disappointment.

I think the 49ers are incredibly unpredictable since it's Lynch and Shanahan's first time around. I could see Lynch valuing Thomas in a Sapp call back to the Tampa D, valuing Adams as a fellow safety or I could see Shanahan wanting Watson as his QB to groom. Watson going 2 could start a landslide or them going defense could push everything the other way. At this point I think it's safe to ink Garrett to the Browns at pick 1 and otherwise multiple scenarios are in play.

- I don't see SF going QB. I think with Solomon Thomas, Jamal Adams, Malik Hooker, and Marshon Lattimore on the board, there's too much elite defensive talent to pass. If they did take a QB, I think it would be Trubisky, because he fits what Shanahan likes to do.

- Chicago could go Watson, but since they've got Glennon in the fold, it would make the most sense to me that they'd pick the guy with the elite measurables and try to groom him to start

- Caldwell in Jax probably needs to win quickly, so adding a QB when they already have Bortles is likely a non-starter

- Tennesse has Mariota

- Jets are probably another team who's HC needs to win quickly, and having spent picks on Petty and Hackenberg, I figured they'd try to get an elite defensive playmaker at 6. Honestly, if there's a landing spot for Watson in the top 10, this is it IMO.

- Carolina has Cam

- Whaley has typically looked for bigger QBs, so if they chose to take one, it's likely either Kizer :sick: or Mahomes :thumbsup:

Then I couldn't find a landing spot for Watson in any of Philly, Indy, Baltimore, Washington, Tennessee, Tampa Bay, Denver, Detroit, or Miami, and I also couldn't find a team that Houston obviously needed to jump to get Watson. The closest that could potentially qualify would be NYG at 23.

Denver I think is possible. That team has no glaring holes and I don't know how high they are on Lynch.

- Tennesse has Mariota

- Carolina has Cam

Under your scenario, the real danger to Houston would likely be someone jumping back up from behind them.

I just want Hooker to fall to 10. That likely requires multiple top 10 QBs and Fournette & Foster going top 9.

Denver I think is possible. That team has no glaring holes and I don't know how high they are on Lynch.

No glaring holes except 4/5ths of their offensive line. They've also bled defensive line / MLB talent the past couple of offseasons, their rush defense was gashed last year.

Under your scenario, the real danger to Houston would likely be someone jumping back up from behind them.

I just want Hooker to fall to 10. That likely requires multiple top 10 QBs and Fournette & Foster going top 9.

No glaring holes except 4/5ths of their offensive line. They've also bled defensive line / MLB talent the past couple of offseasons, their rush defense was gashed last year.

Historically, you don't need firsts to replenish those units.

- Tennesse has Mariota

- Carolina has Cam

I can agree with all this. In fact, this makes me wonder if NO would want to grab an heir for Brees. Isn't he 36 this year?

Historically, you don't need firsts to replenish those units.

Sure, but historically you don't use a 1st round pick on a QB a year after using a 1st round pick on a QB.

I can agree with all this. In fact, this makes me wonder if NO would want to grab an heir for Brees. Isn't he 36 this year?

He's 38.

They've been linked to the QBs but the belief seems to be waiting until day 2 to bring one in to groom. If you are Brees and they take a QB at 11, you have to wonder what you are doing there.

Sure, but historically you don't use a 1st round pick on a QB a year after using a 1st round pick on a QB.

He's 38.

They've been linked to the QBs but the belief seems to be waiting until day 2 to bring one in to groom. If you are Brees and they take a QB at 11, you have to wonder what you are doing there.

:lol: fair enough.

He's 38.

Geez, didn't realize he was THAT old.

We really are hitting an end of an era in the NFL. Guys like Big Ben, Bree's, Rivers, Tommy, etc are all going to be gone in a couple years.