CAR WR Steve Smith last night

LabattBlue

I know that it's allowable by rules, but after EVERY catch Steve Smith made last night, he was either spinning the ball, doing a dance, striking a pose, etc....

Get the fug back in the huddle jerkoff!!!! Call me old school, but I will never get used to this "LOOK AT ME" crap every time you catch a ball, make a tackle or sack the QB!

:rolleyes:

Oh come on...he was destroying the overrated Giants defense and totally deflating the hopes of Giants fans everywhere. Living in the Albany, NY area...all I have to hear about by the local media is how amazing Eli Manning will be this year and how the Giants will easily rebound under Coughlin. So I LOVED watching Steve Smith dance and weave his way through the Giants defense. Although I love it when players have fun and show some flare out there, doing it after a 6 yard catch was a wee bit excessive.

I agree with you Labatt. I dont like that Kevin Winlow Jr michael Irvin Deon Sanders Crap either. We have to hope that the Networks quit showing it, then maybe the punks will quit doing it.

...act like you've been there before

908[/snapback]

come on dude, if I was an NFL cornerback and I finally got the tackle after surrendering a first down and twelve yard play, that would definitely be call for a celebration. I'd probably get out a blackberry and text-message some friends about it on the spot.

come on dude, if I was an NFL cornerback and I finally got the tackle after surrendering a first down and twelve yard play, that would definitely be call for a celebration.  I'd probably get out a blackberry and text-message some friends about it on the spot.

913[/snapback]

I would WANT to do the same thing if i scored an NFL touchdown as well. And I can PROMISE you, Thurman Thomas always wanted to do the same, but words from a wise man: when you score the touchdown, act like you've been there before.

Who played the game with more class? Thurman, or this POS Steve Smith?

I would WANT to do the same thing if i scored an NFL touchdown as well. And I can PROMISE you, Thurman Thomas always wanted to do the same, but words from a wise man: when you score the touchdown, act like you've been there before.

Who played the game with more class? Thurman, or this POS Steve Smith?

923[/snapback]

sometimes my sarcasm is a little too tongue in cheek. sorry :rolleyes:

If I could run over Deion Sanders with a riding lawnmower several times it would not be enough payback for having to see his stupid mug the past 14 years.

sometimes my sarcasm is a little too tongue in cheek.  sorry :blink:

If I could run over Deion Sanders with a riding lawnmower several times it would not be enough payback for having to see his stupid mug the past 14 years.

937[/snapback]

ya know what, after i posted, i went back and read yours, and i honestly thought you might have been being sarcastic. .. couldnt tell..

its a shame quality sarcasm can be lost when typed out

:rolleyes:

That's because "sportsmanship" is a dying element. Too bad really, it was a great way to teach manners and self control.

869[/snapback]

Blame it on "The ESPN mentality", where it's all about self-promotion and getting yourself on the highlight reels, team be damned. :rolleyes:

I just know there has to be some common ground between the Nate Clements-like celebrations for making a tackle and the old handing the ball to the ref ala Barry Sanders or Jerry Rice. That's the challenge for today's player; finding that common ground.

I just know there has to be some common ground between the Nate Clements-like celebrations for making a tackle and the old handing the ball to the ref ala Barry Sanders or Jerry Rice.  That's the challenge for today's player; finding that common ground.

996[/snapback]

Is it really a challenge to be sportsmanlike, play the game, and celebrate afterwards? To not behave like a 5-year-old? If you want to be a showman, go try out for American Idol. If you want to play football, have respect for your opponents AND yourself, and let your play speak volumes.

If you want to talk about a problem with the media (not liberal or conservative bias), it's celebrating people who behave like children because it makes for an interesting story that can sell more advertisements.

Think about the people who are in the hall of fame, and think about what a devaluation it is going to be when the unfortunately inevitable happens and Sanders gets a bust of his stupid, smiling melon in there.

Is it really a challenge to be sportsmanlike, play the game, and celebrate afterwards?  To not behave like a 5-year-old?  If you want to be a showman, go try out for American Idol.  If you want to play football, have respect for your opponents AND yourself, and let your play speak volumes.

If you want to talk about a problem with the media (not liberal or conservative bias), it's celebrating people who behave like children because it makes for an interesting story that can sell more advertisements.

Think about the people who are in the hall of fame, and think about what a devaluation it is going to be when the unfortunately inevitable happens and Sanders gets a bust of his stupid, smiling melon in there.

1004[/snapback]

I say again, there has to be some common ground in between. For example, I don't think when Tiger Woods does his 'fist pumping' move that that's poor sportsmanship, not any more than I do Chi Chi Rodriguez doing his 'sword move' after doing well or some soccer player taking his/her shirt off and running around hyping up the teammates. Now, do I think they get excessive? Of course. At the same time, I don't think it should be illegal to show some kind of emotion in sports. That's why I said there has to be a common ground. Hopefully, people will use some common sense in determining just where that is.

I say again, there has to be some common ground in between.  For example, I don't think when Tiger Woods does his 'fist pumping' move that that's poor sportsmanship, not any more than I do Chi Chi Rodriguez doing his 'sword move' after doing well or some soccer player taking his/her shirt off and running around hyping up the teammates.  Now, do I think they get excessive?  Of course.  At the same time, I don't think it should be illegal to show some kind of emotion in sports.  That's why I said there has to be a common ground.  Hopefully, people will use some common sense in determining just where that is.

1019[/snapback]

I agree. I think that line is crossed when celebrating becomes taunting or when one is celebrating a routine play. And I'm all for tons of celebration after a win or a goal-line stand or the TD that puts you over at the end. All three examples you point out are similar cases. Tiger doesn't do a fist pump after a huge drive because he knows he still has to put it in the cup. Not to open up old wounds, but I recall a lot of celebration before that final kickoff in the Tennessee game. I say celebrate when you've really done -- and by done I mean completed -- your job.

Since I get all the Panthers games in NC, this is nothing new for Steve Smith. He has always been about this, and will always be. I agree it was a bit excessive, but then again, it was the first home game and he knew he was going to be in for a limited time. I do think he could have shown a bit more class, but that is what we have come to expect from SS.

One thing is for sure, he CAN bring it. So can the Panthers, they looked strong last night, hence my post. The lost three OL starters from the Super Bowl team, and they looked great. Hope it goes as well for us.

Also, didn't it irk you guys that Manning was getting this glowing feedback? He was getting destroyed by the DL, still had a good game, but come on. Delhomme smoked him, IMO...

Oh come on...he was destroying the overrated Giants defense and totally deflating the hopes of Giants fans everywhere.  Living in the Albany, NY area...all I have to hear about by the local media is how amazing Eli Manning will be this year and how the Giants will easily rebound under Coughlin.  So I LOVED watching Steve Smith dance and weave his way through the Giants defense.  Although I love it when players have fun and show some flare out there, doing it after a 6 yard catch was a wee bit excessive.

891[/snapback]

i thought you lived on Malta?? :lol:

Archived