Alexander named AFC East defensive MVP by ESPN

http://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2017/01/post_3.html

There were four voters. Rodentak of course choose the Pats* player.

"There are not a lot of strong candidates for defensive MVP this season. The best defense in the division -- the New England Patriots -- is more team-oriented with its success. Alexander had the most impressive individual season. He led the Bills and the division with 12.5 sacks in addition to 76 tackles, three forced fumbles and an interception. Alexander, 33, came out of nowhere to produce a Pro Bowl season. He'd been mostly a backup and rotational player but produced the best season of his career after a decade in the NFL. Alexander deserves kudos for that alone."

"This was a tough choice because I don't think there were any truly stellar defensive performances, but my choice is Alexander, the old dude. This was an aberration for Alexander, who recorded more sacks this season (12.5) than he did in his first nine seasons combined, but so what? Let's give the man his props.

http://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2017/01/post_3.html

There were four voters. Rodentak of course choose the Pats* player.

He had a great start to the season. If he had kept it up he'd be getting some real awards in the coming weeks.

I love Lorax, but he definitely slowed down and I can't help but think age was a factor. He's not high on my "players to re-sign list".

He had a great start to the season. If he had kept it up he'd be getting some real awards in the coming weeks.

I love Lorax, but he definitely slowed down and I can't help but think age was a factor. He's not high on my "players to re-sign list".

First half of season he was great........second half he was JAG.

His free agent situation will be very interesting........after the scorching start he was probably a little less impactful than James Harrison......who is a similar "curiously productive" old player who is only making about $1.5M per year in Pittsburgh.

Lorax contributes big time on ST's and such but because of past history, age, scheme fits etc.. I'd be a bit surprised if he got north of $3M per and with few guarantees.

MVP is a real stretch. He did nothing to take over games and in fact, he was replaced by Lawson and others as it wore on.

Whatever juice he was working with......via great wisdom or injection.....wasn't as good as what Harrison has because a pulled hammy heals at halftime for that guy.

He should be because a good coach will

Platoon him and get the max potential out of what's left. He could have 2-3 good years left.

Lorax had more tackles in the last 4 games than the first 4. Sacks fell off, but teams were game-planning for him by then. This guy deserves the All-Pro nod, and we need to sign him for next season.

He had rec-league basketball legs in the second half........stiff and slow.

Perhaps that was the hamstring but he was definitely worn out and if he made more tackles it was probably because nobody else was tackling not because he was the first on the scene. :beer:

This is a credit to Whaley for finding players that fit Rex's scheme. Rex is gone. Even as a backup or situational player, does he fit what McD wants to do? If there's one thing Whaley and this scouting group's been great at, is drafting and finding NFL quality LBs. I'm not going to fret about it if they don't sign him. I know they'll find another who'll just step in and fill the shoes.

Imagine how bad this team is if one of the best in 2017 never made plays at crucial times!

What is a crucial time?

When the game is in the line. An example would be a 4th down sack or an int late in the game. He never did that once. Kind of like Kikos rookie season. Great first 8 games, not so much afterwards. Played great for what he is but clearly the writer never really watched him play if he is calling him the best defensive player in the east.

This is a credit to Whaley for finding players that fit Rex's scheme. Rex is gone. Even as a backup or situational player, does he fit what McD wants to do? If there's one thing Whaley and this scouting group's been great at, is drafting and finding NFL quality LBs. I'm not going to fret about it if they don't sign him. I know they'll find another who'll just step in and fill the shoes.

I liked the Zach Brown signing and said so on TSW because I felt that meant he wouldn't use valuable draft resources on Reggie Ragnuts.

Then they did anyway. :doh:

But yes, as critical as I have been of Whaley of late he deserves credit for two super-value free agent signings in Brown and Lorax.

Where he ROYALLY f*cked up was wrt addressing the safety position in free agency.

It was considered a huge issue and they decided to take a long shot at Robert Blanton instead of just paying Reggie Nelson.

Reggie Nelson was a known commodity and coveted by many here.

He played at a near All Pro level.....including 5 pics......on a very modest roughly $4M per year 2 year deal in Oakland.

So the Bills could likely have gotten it done for $4.5M per year.

For a position so CRITICAL to the Ryan defense they gambled FAR too much on Aaron Williams.........especially when Williams hasn't been a playmaker since 2013.