How did the Pegula's find McDermott?

gjv001

I didn't listen carefully to the press conference yesterday, but I seem to recall McDermott thanking a search firm. Maybe Whaley was the point man on the search but had outside assistance. Or maybe Whaley wasn't "privy" to the consultant. Who knows. The poor guy struck gold again yesterday - winning takes two things - players and winning!

I didn't listen carefully to the press conference yesterday, but I seem to recall McDermott thanking a search firm. Maybe Whaley was the point man on the search but had outside assistance. Or maybe Whaley wasn't "privy" to the consultant. Who knows. The poor guy struck gold again yesterday - winning takes two things - players and winning!

I hadn't thought of it, but I guess it makes sense teams may engage a high-level search firm for a coaching search, to do all the logistical legwork of contacting teams, agents, candidates and scheduling the meetings.

Was it reported how the Pegula's were introduced to McDermott. Did Whaley recommend McDermont to the Pegula's?

In his interview with Tim Graham, Terry and Kim said McDermott was one of the 4 "finalist" candidates Whaley presented to them: "those were the four Doug brought to us as the leader of the search"

In another thread, I pointed out McDermott referenced a "search firm". I would personally regard it as a good thing if the Bills retained a search firm to do background research on all candidates they considered.

I think last time the search committee spent too much time talking to coaches and too little time looking at the history of how the coaches actually behave. With Rex, reading "Collision Low Crossers" and watching Hard Knocks 2010 was enough to fill me with trepidation when they appointed him as head coach. The picture painted was he wasn't a guy who held his own assistant coaches accountable, much less players.