Million Dollar Baby

bartshan-83

FOUR Oscars......Actress, Supp. Actor, Director and Film.

Has anyone seen it? Is it really that good? I am definitely gonna check it out now.

On a side note, I thought Foxx's speech was very good.

255182[/snapback]

I haven't seen it, but honestly it seems like an over-hyped Hollywood movie in a year where there was no major blockbuster. While not basing my decision not to see the movie off of the article, it is worth a read. I do appreciate Skip Bayless' journalistic style (although i sometimes disagree with his perspectives).

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story...=bayless/050225

I haven't seen it, but honestly it seems like an over-hyped Hollywood movie in a year where there was no major blockbuster.  While not basing my decision not to see the movie off of the article, it is worth a read.  I do appreciate Skip Bayless' journalistic style (although i sometimes disagree with his perspectives).

255184[/snapback]

Really, how could you say that without seeing the movie? It was excellent filmmaking, in almost every way. The story was very good and moving, there was action and tears, the acting was awesome, the writing and directing were superb, the music and editing and production were first rate. It was surprising at times. One of the best boxing and sports films ever, IMO.

I haven't seen it, but honestly it seems like an over-hyped Hollywood movie in a year where there was no major blockbuster.  While not basing my decision not to see the movie off of the article, it is worth a read.  I do appreciate Skip Bayless' journalistic style (although i sometimes disagree with his perspectives).

255184[/snapback]

I don't understand your point of view on that. While there might not have been a MAJOR BLOCKBUSTEr in the Oscars, although Aviator did pretty well in the theaters, you can't say there were no blockbusters in the year 2004. Spiderman 2, I Robot, Shrek 2, come to mind, along with others. Oscar never tends to favor blockbusters.

I don't understand your point of view on that.  While there might not have been a MAJOR BLOCKBUSTEr in the Oscars, although Aviator did pretty well in the theaters, you can't say there were no blockbusters in the year 2004.  Spiderman 2, I Robot, Shrek 2, come to mind, along with others.  Oscar never tends to favor blockbusters.

255189[/snapback]

Titanic is the one that comes to mind. I have different tastes than most and different opinions on what i think is good and not. My sense of humor is "out there" as well as my opinion on what good acting, directing and writing are. I thought the whole Oscar crop was pretty weak this year, and as award shows are getting more and more overhyped i think the awards themselves mean less and less. I think that the Oscar winners have been chosen in such political ways that it is more of an honor to simply be nominated than to have won.

BTW my props to Don Cheadle, one of my favorite actors since the early 90's who finally got some recognition.

Skip Bayless, the certified moron, in that article, which I just read but wish I didn't, complained that Million Dollar Baby was lousy, even though he walked out after only half of it, because he said it was unrealistic. And mentioned not the boxing scenes as proof, but rather that a certain real arena in LA wouldn't have an undercard with a certain kind of unchallenged female boxer who wouldn't have qualified for being on that slate of fights. AND THEN suggested people should see real sports films like CADDYSHACK!, and THE NATURAL!.

Granted, I loved both of those films. Classics. But they were REALISTIC?!

Jesus criminy.

I actually saw this film the day it was released. I had been looking forward to it for a long time. I had followed its progress for quite a while and was really looking forward to seeing this film. And let me tell you..............in no way, shape, or form did it dissapoint. I thought the film was fantastic. Going into it, I had a general idea of what the film was going to be about, but it surpassed everything I thought it would be. I actually came on this board, the day after it opened and I saw it, and told everyone that it was fantastic. I said that Hillary Swank was perfect and that this film was one of Eastwood's best ever. It is one of those films that will have you sitting their quiet in the theater after it is over contemplating everything you just saw. It was a very well done film. I encourage everyone who hasn't seen it to do so, just as I did before. I will agree with some of you though in saying that it is hyped and may be a lot media driven, but when you see the film, you will understand why. It pulls at many different strings in you while you watch, and to me, that is what movies are supposed to do. It was very well done.

I see quite a few movies. I thought Sideways was great, and had given it a slight edge over The Aviator. Then I saw Million Dollar Baby. That movie is in a class by itself. It was stunning.

One thing I find interesting is that nobody is giving away any of the plotlines of this movie. I remember 6th Sense ran sort of a campaign on keeping the secret. Million Dollar Baby does not have to run such a campaign. People just sort of keep their mouths shut till they find somebody who has seen the film, and then they talk about it.

I did have a few issues with the movie, but overall I was blown away.

255184[/snapback]

Clearly the direction of film over the past ten or fifteen years has been away from the studio blockbuster and toward the lower budget indy flicks. Many times the 'blockbuster' is film with a huge marketing budget and a catchy preview. Even though the film may be poor, it's enough to convince the masses to buzz about it and ultimately purchase a ticket. By the time everyone realizes it really wasn't all that great, they've grossed 150 million on the thing.

I honestly can't remember a film that I've truly enjoyed more than 'Sideways'. It's the type of film you just enjoy so much that you find yourself not wanting it to end. Aside from that, there are numerous examples of smaller films that have been touching, funny, entertaining, scary, etc. You can find an entire universe of wonderful stories and superb acting.......you just have to look. Either that, or wait until the rest of us who do look for them, and find them, talk about them so much that they become more mainstream. (That's not meant to be sarcastic, by the way.)

But I don't agree that the Oscars aren't what they used to be because there are no perceived deserving 'blockbusters'..........just my $.02

I don't get the perception of Clint as uber-director. More overly sentimental predictable slop.

3 Words: raging !@#$ing bull.

6 more: 'the man with no name' callahan.

255186[/snapback]

The man has been around for DECADES, yet he is only now doing his best work.

He shoots on time, under budget, gets the most from his actors (all three main charaters were nominated, two won), he even does the friggin' score for his own movies....

Eastwood shot this movie in 37 days. Do you know how amazing that is to shoot a movie this large in 37 days without it coming out like total crap?!?!?!?

You are obviously entitled to feel anyway you wish about the film itself, but if I'm running a studio, Clint is the first director I want on my speed dial. He is hands down the best director working today.

AND THEN suggested people should see real sports films like CADDYSHACK!, and THE NATURAL!.

Granted, I loved both of those films. Classics. But they were REALISTIC?!

Jesus criminy.

255193[/snapback]

Caddyshack is realistic if you imagine a combination of several TSW posters out for a round of golf.

The man has been around for DECADES, yet he is only now doing his best work.

He shoots on time, under budget, gets the most from his actors (all three main charaters were nominated, two won), he even does the friggin' score for his own movies....

Eastwood shot this movie in 37 days. Do you know how amazing that is to shoot a movie this large in 37 days without it coming out like total crap?!?!?!?

You are obviously entitled to feel anyway you wish about the film itself, but if I'm running a studio, Clint is the first director I want on my speed dial. He is hands down the best director working today.

255259[/snapback]

A very, very good movie. Rarely have I seen a movie where I actually wish it was longer. They could have fleshed out a few parts that I was curious about. On the other hand, I felt that way about Mystic River which was an excellent Eastwood flick.

I applaud films, and Mystic and Baby are two, that don't try to contrive a happy ending for the viewer.

Skip Bayless = RJ

This guy is an absolute putz.   He consistantly goes negative on anything positive just to stir controversy, and to get his name mentioned.

255273[/snapback]

No doubt. He sucks when it comes to sports,

now he wants to be a movie critic? :blink:

Million Dollar Baby was most excellent, and all the awards given out last night for it were well-deserved.

BTW, I had the screener DVD a week before it opened nationwide,

gotta love USENET! :lol::blink:

FOUR Oscars......Actress, Supp. Actor, Director and Film.

Has anyone seen it? Is it really that good? I am definitely gonna check it out now.

On a side note, I thought Foxx's speech was very good.

255182[/snapback]

One of the best movies I have ever seen

Eastwood and Cheadle both did a better acting job than Fox in their respective movies...that award was more as a honor for Ray Charles than the besting actor of the lot.