Special Teams Upgrades

Honestly, Carp isn't that bad inside 50 yards and I feel he is fine to keep. He really just had a rough year, or two (notably on XP) - Who else could we sign that isn't older than rocks, or not much of an upgrade? Santos, McManus and Cantazaro are RFA.

Colton Schmidt ain't terrible and there really is scraps in the free agent list.

Honestly, Carp isn't that bad inside 50 yards and I feel he is fine to keep. He really just had a rough year, or two (notably on XP) - Who else could we sign that isn't older than rocks, or not much of an upgrade? Santos, McManus and Cantazaro are RFA.

Colton Schmidt ain't terrible and there really is scraps in the free agent list.

19-25 on the year. 4-9 from 40+, and 1-2 from 50+. He sucks at kickoffs (41.7% TB, and 21.6 yard return average - This ones tricky because it doesn't state average drive start off a kickoff but i think we can all agree it's not his strength)... He also missed 5 XPs this year (40-45).

Colton Schmidt had the lowest average punt distance in the NFL at 42.4 He also had the 2nd lowest net at 38.1.

How can you not say upgrading these guys should be somewhat of a priority? They are the worst in the league.

19-25 on the year. 4-9 from 40+, and 1-2 from 50+. He sucks at kickoffs (41.7% TB, and 21.6 yard return average - This ones tricky because it doesn't state average drive start off a kickoff but i think we can all agree it's not his strength)... He also missed 5 XPs this year (40-45).

Colton Schmidt had the lowest average punt distance in the NFL at 42.4 He also had the 2nd lowest net at 38.1.

How can you not say upgrading these guys should be somewhat of a priority? They are the worst in the league.

I would keep Schmidt-- I feel like he was a lot better last year. Plus, I wonder if he was asked this past year to have more hang time, as we were one of the best at punt return yardage.

But Carp is done.

I would keep Schmidt-- I feel like he was a lot better last year. Plus, I wonder if he was asked this past year to have more hang time, as we were one of the best at punt return yardage.

But Carp is done.

Schmidt just doesn't have the big leg that all the better punters have. I would at the very least bring in someone to compete.

I'm not saying like spend tons of money to get someone better. But i look at justin tucker and Hekkers numbers and wonder if they might have actually stolen a game or two this year...

Our kicking and punting cost us a couple on the opposite side of the coin.

Edited by dneveu

Seriously? He lost the Dolphins game for us by not being able to kick it into the end zone on kickoffs and missing kicks. He is absolute garbage. He has got worse each year. Wake up man.

I wonder if Schmidt was having an off year or coached poorly? He seemed to have a booming leg and good directional punts before last year.

Earlier in the year, Danny Crossman spoke about how much they're asking him to do with punts. Changing the gameplan up week to week and basically putting a lot on his plate. I wonder if they overloaded him. I think he's a better player than the 2016 season showed.

If you want a free agent kicking option, give me Greg the Leg.

Earlier in the year, Danny Crossman spoke about how much they're asking him to do with punts. Changing the gameplan up week to week and basically putting a lot on his plate. I wonder if they overloaded him. I think he's a better player than the 2016 season showed.

If you want a free agent kicking option, give me Greg the Leg.

Seemed like he bottomed out by the end too. He was getting worse as the year went on. But statistically last in basically both categories... not a ton of return yardage true - but the net average is what you're really looking at there.

Seemed like he bottomed out by the end too. He was getting worse as the year went on. But statistically last in basically both categories... not a ton of return yardage true - but the net average is what you're really looking at there.

He started off the season really well. Week 1 vs Devin Hester, he was masterful. I'd have to look around other cold markets to see if temperature affected yardage as the year went along but he definitely struggled down the stretch.

ST in general was really good until that Amendola return in Week 8. They got too cute with Tyler Lockett in Week 9 and it snowballed after the bye.

Not sure if continuity was the issue. Across ST, including those that had an ST tackle, ST assisted tackle, ST penalty, ST missed tackle, punt & kick returns, kickoffs, field goals and punting, 34 players registered a stat in 2016.