Gilmore: The Shadow Knows

Bandit, should Gilmore be paid Julio Jones money? Or Von Miller money? As you well know, teams play 4 and even 5 wide sets all the time. The best corner who ever lived can only cover 1 receiver, and Gilmore is far from an all time great.

Seriously Bro, is there ANY amount of cap space that you would not be willing to toss at this player who gives as little effort as he does?

My opinion last year was that I'd go as high as $12.5M AAV, and that definitely hasn't changed.

I don't think he'll accept that--I certainly wouldn't; corners tend to get PAID, and he's the #1 corner on the market--and thus I think he's a goner.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 targets in the 18 pass routes he ran in the 31 plays during which he was matched against Gilmore--just clarifying

Why not pick on darby who was abused. 5 targets? Are you telling me that Brown was locked down? Of course not. Our defense SUCKED.Gilly didnt suck however... was he our best player? Of course not. Is he elite. I say no. Elite does everything well. Gilmore does not. I will end it by saying, i would however rather pay him than tyrod

Probably because Gilly is a non story.

That's what I want from my corners--totally unnoticeable.

He's the least-targeted corner in the league on a per-snap basis, and his numbers when targeted are nearly identical to Richard Sherman's:

Gilmore stats for the 2016 season: 69 targets, 40 receptions, 627 yards, 2 TDs, 5 INTs, 67.7 passer rating against

Sherman stats for the 2016 season: 85 targets, 44 receptions, 624 yards, 2 TDs, 4 INTs, 64.0 passer rating against

If you were so focused on facts, then why look only at the Jets game and refuse to acknowledge the rest of the season for contextual purposes?

You know what that's called?

Confirmation bias.

Interesting that you would cast such an aspersion without recognizing it in your own argument.

It's a lot closer than you think, even though I agree that Sherman is better.

The point is this: if we evaluate every corner the same way this board does with Gilmore, then we'd hear about how Sherman is "average at best" because he has fewer INTs, fewer tackles, more TDs allowed, and got roasted repeatedly by Robert Woods on MNF.

But, when we take his entire body of work into account, he's an excellent player.

Unfortunately for discussion's purposes, many folks on this board miss the part about context and body of work.

Def can go with you here

Why not pick on darby who was abused. 5 targets? Are you telling me that Brown was locked down? Of course not. Our defense SUCKED.Gilly didnt suck however... was he our best player? Of course not. Is he elite. I say no. Elite does everything well. Gilmore does not. I will end it by saying, i would however rather pay him than tyrod

Brown ran 18 routes against Gilmore...the results speak for themselves: 2 catches, 29 yards, 1 INT

I don't remember saying that he was elite, but I did say that--by all metrics--he has a valid argument to be included with each of the guys traditionally mentioned as top-10 corners (and top-5 corners for that matter)

Edited by thebandit27

I also don't remember saying that he was elite, but I did say that--by all metrics--he has a valid argument to be included with each of the guys traditionally mentioned as top-10 corners (and top-5 corners for that matter)

True, but Roethlisberger was uncharacteristically bad that game. Pouring rain IIRC.

Agree that Gilmore is in that 7-12 range.

True, but Roethlisberger was uncharacteristically bad that game. Pouring rain IIRC.

Agree that Gilmore is in that 7-12 range.

He tends to struggle on the road as a rule, but it's mostly INTs.

Their passing game was actually on fire early--they had over 150 passing yards (to Buffalo's -14) 3 minutes into the 2nd Q