New Chenelly Tweets 1/3/17

Reed83HOF

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed. Haley is a guy I want nothing to do with. He's even a worse person than he is a coach.

this kinda doesn't make him sound that way. http://www.espn.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/26809/anthony-lynn-todd-haley-brothers-for-life-after-lynn-dodged-death

not that I'm booking for Haley - I really don't have a dog in this fight - and I had heard he was an arrogant pr**k in KC, but a guy might learn from his mistakes in 5 years

may be a moot point anyway

Haley is an interesting candidate. Like McDaniels, he was kind of a mess as HC although he had some success - inherited a bad team, turned it around to winning and playoffs his second season. His best year featured Charlie Weis as OC and Meh Cassel in a stout run-first O, #1 run game, #30 pass game, and a middle-of-the-pack D. Hmmm, sound familiar? His next year fell off, with Cassel and his backup both throwing more picks and the run game not as good. He was reportedly a bit of a "prima donna", doing stuff like firing Gailey as OC just before the start of his first season there.

Like McDaniels, if Haley has grown and reflected on "what went wrong" in KC as McDaniels would hopefully have reflected on Denver and St Louis, Haley could be a good HC in his 2nd shot. The Steelers had some fall-off his first two seasons but they're cooking along right now.

If Haley hasn't done that reflection and it's all on everyone else, he could be a disaster. He's spent time around 2 winning organizations (Cardinals in 2007 and 2008) as well as some success with a mediocre QB in his HC gig. I think Whaley's mental model for how a franchise should work is based in Pittsburgh, so since Haley has spent 5 years there they might be a good match to work smoothly together, provided Haley doesn't go all inflated-ego when he gets a 2nd HC shot.

Unlike McDaniels working with Belichick where the offense was arguably great before he took over, great after he left, and great when he came back, I don't think there's any question that Haley is the real brains behind the Pittsburgh offense. Big Ben is a very good QB, but he's not Brady and the Steelers arguably have a stronger offense now than under Arians. Haley should have the experience and contacts in the league to bring in a good DC.

I would actually be very positive about bringing in Haley.

I'm sorry but I don't believe it takes great brains to generate a productive offense with Big Ben, Antonio Brown and Le'Veon Bell.

Haley may have the easiest job in America.

He was a trainwreck as a HC in KC. I wouldn't touch him with a 50 foot pole.

It's funny Haley is still the guy being discussed on this thread now that Joe said the Steelers coach in question is Butler. I didn't know much about Butler, but he looks impressive -- 14 years as the linebackers coach, coached and eventually promoted to take over for our buddy Dick Lebeau and then actually improved the defense. I see an article that says he turned down other teams in the past while he was the LB coach so to stay with Lebeau.

It's funny Haley is still the guy being discussed on this thread now that Joe said the Steelers coach in question is Butler. I didn't know much about Butler, but he looks impressive -- 14 years as the linebackers coach, coached and eventually promoted to take over for our buddy Dick Lebeau and then actually improved the defense. I see an article that says he turned down other teams in the past while he was the LB coach so to stay with Lebeau.

Well, according to other people we might as well stop talking about either 'cuz it's McDermott.

But people tend to read threads chronologically, and don't always get to the bottom of the thread before they post. And if you look at the times, most of the posts are around the same time as the post about Chenelly.