Jerome Mathis, WR runs 4.32 and 4.31 at the

JP-era

I loved this guy and what a great addition he would be, but he may have earned himslef a solid 2nd round or even late 1st round pick with that run.

My other favorite, Chauncey Stovall a bigtime possession guy ran a 4.65 which will solidify him as a mid rounder and puts him right on our radar.

This is meant to be a #3 WR thread.

4.3 is a lot faster than 4.5, yeah. BUt it doesn't necessarily translate that well - you have to be fast, but moreover, you have to be quick, and that's not in 40 times. The difference between a 4.3 guy and a 4.5 guy on, say, a goal-line to goal-line kickoff return is....one half of a second. Nice, but I'd take the guy who can cutback, the guy who can stiff-arm, and the guy who's got soft hands. There's a reason Antonio Brown isn't Randy Moss.

4.3 is a lot faster than 4.5, yeah.  BUt it doesn't necessarily translate that well - you have to be fast, but moreover, you have to be quick, and that's not in 40 times.  The difference between a 4.3 guy and a 4.5 guy on, say, a goal-line to goal-line kickoff return is....one half of a second.  Nice, but I'd take the guy who can cutback, the guy who can stiff-arm, and the guy who's got soft hands.  There's a reason Antonio Brown isn't Randy Moss.

254902[/snapback]

The guy was the star of the Village game, its not just speed, he has it all, great hands, built like a brick sh_t house, great route runner.

He just plays for a small college.

The guy was the star of the Village game, its not just speed, he has it all, great hands, built like a brick sh_t house, great route runner.

He just plays for a small college.

254913[/snapback]

I have yet to see what Mathis officially was measured at HT/WT wise but he should definately be a day 1 pick. As one thing I look for from small school players if they're able to dominate their level of competition and Mathis did that at Hampton averaging over 29 YPC this season.

I have yet to see what Mathis officially was measured at HT/WT wise but he should definately be a day 1 pick. As one thing I look for from small school players if they're able to dominate their level of competition and Mathis did that at Hampton averaging over 29 YPC this season.

254967[/snapback]

combine had it at 6' 1" and 220 I think.

I loved this guy and what a great addition he would be, but he may have earned himslef a solid 2nd round or even late 1st round pick with that run.

My other favorite, Chauncey Stovall a bigtime possession guy ran a 4.65 which will solidify him as a mid rounder and puts him right on our radar.

This is meant to be a #3 WR thread.

254748[/snapback]

This is Gil Brandts combine notes:

Our fivesome believes that Hampton's Jerome Mathis, who ran somewhere between 4.25 and 4.29 in the 40, ran the fastest 40 in the history of the combine. We think Deion Sanders ran something like 4.28 when he was at the combine over 10 years ago, so Mathis is extremely close to being one of the fastest people at the combine. He made himself some money because he also did a good job in receiving drills.

This is Gil Brandts combine notes:

Our fivesome believes that Hampton's Jerome Mathis, who ran somewhere between 4.25 and 4.29 in the 40, ran the fastest 40 in the history of the combine. We think Deion Sanders ran something like 4.28 when he was at the combine over 10 years ago, so Mathis is extremely close to being one of the fastest people at the combine. He made himself some money because he also did a good job in receiving drills.

254991[/snapback]

This new method of adding to your original post isnt working, no one has any kind of a response to Gil saying Jerome is the fastest 40 in the HISTORY of the combine? GHEEZ!

I forget what coach said it, but he had a point.

Uncontrolled speed doesn't really mean all that much. Like someone else said, most never heard of these people in college, but they run a 4.2 and everyone gets excited. This coach was on NFL network and said "if we are looking for just pure 40 speed, we'll go to a college track meet".

I'd be more interested to see the drill where they rifle footballs at him while he's running - to see if he can catch.

Also, would like to see footage to make sure he doesn't suffer from Todd Pinkston syndrome.

All of that being said, 4.31 is frigging fast!

I wish they'd do a 15 yard dash because that would say a little more about a players quickness more than speed.

The fast guys can overcome a slow start with straight ahead speed between the 20 and 40 yard mark, but it really doesn't mean much because it's very rare a WR is needed to run 40 yards straight without being touched.

Uncontrolled speed doesn't really mean all that much. Like someone else said, most never heard of these people in college, but they run a 4.2 and everyone gets excited. This coach was on NFL network and said "if we are looking for just pure 40 speed, we'll go to a college track meet".

I'd be more interested to see the drill where they rifle footballs at him while he's running - to see if he can catch.

Also, would like to see footage to make sure he doesn't suffer from Todd Pinkston syndrome.

255029[/snapback]

Todd Pinkston is a lanky rangy player. Jerome is built!

I was referring to Pinkston's "heart"... He is a huge pu--y, as shown from two examples this year of him and his "alligator" arms...

255067[/snapback]

dont really know about his heart but he lit up the field in the village bowl. I see him going in the 2nd and if we lock up our LG and LT early in FA, and Nugent continues to drop (missed his long shots) then I say take him. Our TE spot should and I think will be handled in FA.

Mathis, plus...say...Franks could make our vertical game SCARRY!

He is an instant #3 and more likely a day one #2 who would be a dream for us as #3 and could replace Moulds in a few years.

255029[/snapback]

He was so far superior to the rest of the guys in the Villages game it was crazy. I don't know if he'll ever be a great NFL receiver, but this guy is going to make some big plays in the NFL. F'ers looked like they were running in slo-mo' trying to tackle him. He is a big guy too.

Uncontrolled speed doesn't really mean all that much. Like someone else said, most never heard of these people in college, but they run a 4.2 and everyone gets excited.

You never heard of him because he played at HAMPTON.

For those who dont know he:

1) Set I-AA Record with 5 Kickoff returns for Touchdowns

2) Led the country with an average 35.5 yards per KO return

3) Set school record with 394 all purpose yards in a playoff game.

4) Had 41 receptions for 993 yards. Thats 42 less than braylon edwards....in 2 fewer games.

This guy is a gamer. 1st rounder? Probably not. First day pick, I think definatly.