What We Learned

The only thing we learned today is that the Bills were smart enough (for once) to opt for improved draft position over a meaningless end of season win. If you think the players did not get that message, you would be mistaken. The reason it did not happen in the past is that coaches like Rex and Marrone were busy padding their resumes with garbage-time wins after failing miserably during the competitive portion of schedule.

Edited by mannc

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's what I saw. Remember, EJ got the first team snaps in practice. He also got the starters playing for him early in the game. I wasn't impressed by Cardale, but I was still quite relieved to be done watching EJ. That was painful.

Being done with EJ (and most rational people would agree) is entirely different than thinking that Cardale Jones is anything but a long-shot to become a NFL QB.

This game was nothing more than letting new coach see tape of

This years EJ

And Cardale to aid where he wants to go.

If you think they were trying to really win look no further than Shady staying out of the game eventhough he was back ready to play.

1. EJ Manuel, though a try-hard guy, is not a competent NFL backup QB.

2. Cardale Jones is NOWHERE near ready to play QB in the NFL and offseason "study" is not going to make him ready.

3. Tyrod Taylor carried this offense all season, but he really isn't likely to be the long-term answer either.

4. Anthony Lynn presided over the ugliest game played by a Bills team in several years and he should be removed from consideration as a coaching candidate. That was abysmal - totally unprepared and no signs of anything different than under Rex (maybe worse).

5. There are a TON of problems on defense. With what looks like a very weak QB draft class, I could justify spending all picks on defense

Not fair or smart to judge Cardale or Lynn based on today. Cardale wasn't even taking 2nd team snaps EVER before this week, stupid to judge him at all based on 1 quarter today. But even if you are, he outscored EJ 7 to 3 playing only 1 quarter. And Lynn was a RB coach at the start of this season with 1 week as HC. Blast the D all you like, they SUCK. Can't tackle worth a ****. But Cardale and Lynn doesn't make sense.

We have a QB on the roster. His name is Tyrod Taylor. Whether you think he's the right QB for the 3-year-term his contract has him tagged for is a different question.

Technically Jones is the only QB we have under contract. We havent picked up the option and EJ played himself off the team.

Technically Jones is the only QB we have under contract. We havent picked up the option and EJ played himself off the team.

I could be mistaken, but I think the Bills have 3 choices:

1) don't pick up the option, don't release Taylor. Taylor is still under contract: "If the Bills decline the option and fail to release Taylor, Taylor’s 2017 salary wil escalate to a fully guaranteed $27.5 million."

2) pick up the option, don't release Taylor. Taylor is still under contract, his 2017 salary becomes fully guaranteed $12M and he receives a $15.5M bonus amortized over 5 years

3) release Taylor, in which case the Bills owe him either nothing, or $27.5M if he doesn't pass a physical

So not only technically, but actually, Tyrod is under contract unless the Bills release him.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

There isn't anything to be learned from a game where nothing was at stake, you just fired the coach a week before and half he team was already on the golf course. And doubly because we started a tire-fire at QB

Except during the week, Lynn was acting like this was the biggest game of his life, because as a coach it was. And his failure was epic.

Lynn knows how to get this offense rolling wen tyrod is playing, i dont want to mess with the off besides addin a wr n rt. The offense consistently put up over 20 points a game almost every time this year. Too early for HC. Keep him as OC and see what kind of offense we have next year without gro playbook, bring in gus bradley or wade as DC and a mike tomlin type hc that doesn't meddle and let's his coordinators do their job. Thats the best case scenario for us.